Old Sheffield dialect

I was phoning Veolia to book having a dead washing machine taken away and was stumped trying to tell them where I'd put it. Your traditional Yorkshire terrace house that is set back from the pavement has a small garden-y bit at the front with a paved bit in front of the front door. I'm sure there must be a name for this - the Americans would probably call it a stoop, but that's a run of steps. I ended up telling them: next to the end of the gennel by the front door.

59 minutes ago, jgharston said:

I was phoning Veolia to book having a dead washing machine taken away and was stumped trying to tell them where I'd put it. Your traditional Yorkshire terrace house that is set back from the pavement has a small garden-y bit at the front with a paved bit in front of the front door. I'm sure there must be a name for this - the Americans would probably call it a stoop, but that's a run of steps. I ended up telling them: next to the end of the gennel by the front door.

Did they know what a gennel were?

Edited by jaffa1

I think that I would have said “front garden “. I think they probably would have noticed a washing machine!

i feel reight badley me,

thar old fash thee

Cornish, as in mantelpiece

On 19/01/2005 at 22:00, rainbow2411 said:

When meals where over we always used to "sidey" t'table.

We used to call the kitchen worktop 'the side', and said sidey the table as well.

butter and best butter.  Friends from down south can't get their heads round this, as in, butter was marge and best butter was butter!!!

ahma dedah me,

when tha sees sumon tha knows, tha sez " nahden de ah dah, oreight? reply might be - ah, oreight ah dah, oreight?

ah luv reight Sheffield speak ah do

I knew someone who was asked, wheers tha bin? reply was - ah bins int back, wheres thine,

or even -

oowarriwewarriweissen?

Reminds me of the old joke, when SCC employed rent collectors. 

New bloke on the job went back to the council offices down by Pond St., (remember them?), empty handed.  Said to his boss, "Are there a lot of Chinese living on the Manor & Wybourn because every door I knock at & shouted its the rent man through the letterbox, some kid would shout back, 'Shin tin!'" 

Edited by Baron99

19 hours ago, Freebooter said:

ahma dedah me,

when tha sees sumon tha knows, tha sez " nahden de ah dah, oreight? reply might be - ah, oreight ah dah, oreight?

ah luv reight Sheffield speak ah do

I knew someone who was asked, wheers tha bin? reply was - ah bins int back, wheres thine,

or even -

oowarriwewarriweissen?

Where's tha bin? Bin on holiday. Where's tha wheelie bin? I've wheelie bin on holiday!

I occasionally talk to a guy in his 70s in Starbucks.  One day he pointed at my wrist and said, that's a nice watch.

He pronounced it 'watch' , as in short a like in 'back', rather than 'wotch'.

I've never heard that pronunciation anywhere before.

On 25/02/2019 at 16:59, tinfoilhat said:

Where's tha bin? Bin on holiday. Where's tha wheelie bin? I've wheelie bin on holiday!

Brilliant, luvit!

On 25/02/2019 at 17:59, tinfoilhat said:

Skeggie? Nah, I'm reyt 'anded.

'