Old Sheffield dialect

Similar happenings to me. I always say Sheffield when asked where I am from, then if not known, I explain where it is and what it does and has done. I usually tell the story about the Cruiser Sheffield in WW2, and the role it played in tracking & sinking the Bismark !

Yes about the only country the inquirer does not connect me too is England !

Unfortunately, most people only remember the destroyer HMS Sheffield that was sunk in 1982 by the Argentinians. Most my time in Canada has been spent in the steel business and I worked with lots of ex pats from just about every European country and who all loved their football, and when they ask me about Sheffield , I say, "It is the City where steel was first made and where football was first played";)

When my hair was all tangled and matted and in need of a good brushing, I used to be told "tha looks like a bin-man's dog".

If I looked particularly miserable and sulky, the comment thrown at me was "tha's gorra face like summat on a fishmonger's slab" .

I love these phrases - I think they are accurately descriptive and very evocative. I still use them now, whenever an opportunity to do so arises.

:D

Hey Tony:

yes I like that bit about "steel made and football first played." Right, the second Sheffield took a huge hit in the Falklands and rolled over beneath the waves, but that adds to the story line and folk history of the city. I can't remember if the city was represented in the Navy in WW1 ?

'Snap' for packed lunch, and also 'while' as in 'open from 9 while 5' is very distinctively local dialect?

Hey Tony:

yes I like that bit about "steel made and football first played." Right, the second Sheffield took a huge hit in the Falklands and rolled over beneath the waves, but that adds to the story line and folk history of the city. I can't remember if the city was represented in the Navy in WW1 ?

Nothing in WW1 but there was another HMS Sheffield built in 1986, a frigate that was sold to Chile in 2003, and now bears a different name...courtesy Wiki

"Tha's gorra face as long as Flat Street" = miserable!

Imagine Britain's very own Enigma code..."sheffieldish", could never have been broken LOL :cool:

If they had used a 'Geordie' accent, then no one outside of Newcastle (or Gateshead) would have got a word. Perhaps a Chesterfield area expression, 'Y'or right duck' used a few times a sentence might have flummoxed them !

---------- Post added 05-09-2016 at 00:44 ----------

Dee dahl get some fist dah will

Dee Dah

famous Sheffield slang.

Reminds me of a Sheffield kid's rhyme: 'See mi finger, see mi fumb, see mi fist and th'all get some !

I was reading a book about the Sheffield blitz, which feature different memories of people during this period. One gentleman wrote of remembering his small sister reciting a rhyme in their air raid shelter. It startedwith "Eeh I wud like to mek thee a good cup of tea, if thad only come on reight day, but tha moan't come on monday it's me weshing day". I know I have heard this rhyme before but can't remember the rest of it. Can anyone help?

If tha does owt for nowt ollus do it for thisen

The full poem:

Ear all see all an sey neowt

Eagt all supp all an pay neowt

An if tha ever duss owt fer neowt aluss do it fur thisen.

Sorry. Didn't realise it was an old thread.

Edited by Anna B

I was reading a book about the Sheffield blitz, which feature different memories of people during this period. One gentleman wrote of remembering his small sister reciting a rhyme in their air raid shelter. It startedwith "Eeh I wud like to mek thee a good cup of tea, if thad only come on reight day, but tha moan't come on monday it's me weshing day". I know I have heard this rhyme before but can't remember the rest of it. Can anyone help?

It is an old thread but as no one answered here is the poem:

Eeh I wud like to mek thee a good cup of tea, if thad only come on reight day, but tha moan't come on monday it's me weshing day, am scrubbin and dubbing me drewers away.

But ee lass a wud like to gi thi a nice cuppa tee if thad awny cum ont reight day.

Na tha maunt cum on Teusday, it's me ironing day, im scorchin told fellers collars away.

But ee lass a wud like to gi thi a nice cuppa tee if thad awny cum ont reight day.

Dont cum on Wensday that's me cleanin day I'm rubbin an scrubbin mi floorers away.

Na tha maunt cum on Thursday that's mi pollishin day im rubbin an pollishin mi furniture away.

Fridays na good either lass that's mi shoppin day Im spendin a spendin mi pound newets away.

Tha maunt cum Satday its mi bakin day am mixin and cookin mi cakes and pastries away.

Na tha maunt cum on Sunday it's church day I'm prayin an neeing me nees away

But ee lass tha must cum round for a nice cuppa tee, but make sure you cum ont reight day.

Spell check was a nightmare! But that's how it was written down for me

Thanks myusernameha , I haven't heard this for years. If ever we had a yard concert someone would stand up and recite this but I could never remember it from start to finish.