Old Sheffield dialect

Originally posted by Tazz070299

Yitten - was a word used to mean scared.

Ganzy - a jumper or pullover

eightfoot - a ginnel or footpath

Regards

Tazz

Yitten, or as some say it "yittney" wsdefinitely a derisiry term for scared or cowardly.

Gansey is a corruption of "guernsey" (imagine geu'nsey) which is another word for a sweater/ jumper/ jersey

and my father always uses the term "eightfoot" for a jennel..

my grandma used "starved" for cold, and "gamp" for umbrella.

and my brother in law used "stalled" to mean "fed up".. as in "I were fair stalled on'it!"

and when I was getting an injunction out against my violent ex fiance, I told the solicitor that one of the fince's more pleasant traits was that he was "mardy" if he could not get everything his own way. I had to explain "Mardy" to the solicitor.

PT

P.T - Starving used to refer as lacking in anything, particularly being cold...

and

my friend from further north said "why the 'while' and not until"

is it just my bad english lol??

No..I say that too, and most people here do. It's a dialect difference in grammar.

Thankgod for A Level English Language :P

Originally posted by LBoogie

No..I say that too, and most people here do. It's a dialect difference in grammar.

It's still bad use of English.

It's wrong and confusing. Consider:

"Wait at the lights while they change to green".

Yes, it's the wrong use of standard english, but its an accepted dialect variant.

I consider dialects to be good and they give England variety. People are starting to not be so snobbish about dialect forms, especially when they've been around longer that some of the standard English forms.

Yes, it's the wrong use of standard english, but its an accepted dialect variant.

I consider dialects to be good and they give England variety. People are starting to not be so snobbish about dialect forms, especially when they've been around longer that some of the standard English forms.

But speaking in non-standard forms leaves room for confusion. I'll be honest, I HATE the Yorkshire accent and dialect.

I love it, and so do a lot of people...

most people in the country use some form of non standard English..not just Yorkshire people.

I think it's very interesting, and most of it can be traced back through the years to old Norse etc. It's sort of like seeing into the past and finding out its effects on us all, even today. You can trace the invasions of England through the way we now speak. Even in standard English, theres a reason why we have so many french words, ( particularly in law courts and around the justice system).

It's all so interesting, and to lose any of it would be a crime - but language is a continually changing thing, that's what makes it so interesting

I love it, and so do a lot of people...

most people in the country use some form of non standard English..not just Yorkshire people.

I think it's very interesting, and most of it can be traced back through the years to old Norse etc. It's sort of like seeing into the past and finding out its effects on us all, even today. You can trace the invasions of England through the way we now speak. Even in standard English, theres a reason why we have so many french words, ( particularly in law courts and around the justice system).

It's all so interesting, and to lose any of it would be a crime - but language is a continually changing thing, that's what makes it so interesting

Yes, I too found it interesting (also did A Level English). I just can't stand strong accents/dialects, Yorkshire in particular.

am sure we've had some sorta similar thread b4 bout us sheffielders?

but ere tha guz.

"thad best geeyore wi thi roorin, or thall get somet t'roor fo"

or "if tha dunt geeyore, al tell thi fathur, an eel gi thi a paystin wen ee gets oorme!"

bin on wonert sites above, cum across this, and this aint wot it means it me!!

faff: to trifle with something

not posting wot i "think" it means!! :D