DIY Medical Procedures - Have You?

My friend trapped her finger in the door and obtained a blood blister under her fingernail. She drilled a small hole with a drill designed to add jewels to finger nails and relieved the pressure, when she went to the docs 2 days later she was told she'd done an excellent job!

Did it fall off?

Did it fall off?

No, it was a little sore for a while but was fine

I once performed an colonoscopy on myself with a usb webcam and a broom to push push it up :gag:

I once had a bad throat infection,and could see all green stuff around my tonsills. I got a knife and inbetween boking, slowly cut it all out.It was thick and like leather,but the relief was instant.

I thought I would update my DIY Medical CV. I have since removed my big toenail with the help of a knife.

I once removed all of my toenails on one foot accidentally by opening the bathroom door whilst standing too close to it- that stung a bit (and it ruined a perfectly good cream bathroom carpet too).

Is there a good reason why you did it rather than waiting for a doctor?

I once pulled a couple of stitches out of my mates town halls with some long nose pliers.

I have pulled a few of my own teeth out.

I think the most interesting one recently was my new title- emergency cat dentist. One of my friends called me to take a look at her cat as his mouth was obviously troubling him and he wouldn't let her look. He'd got a canine tooth half in the socket and moving about, and they couldn't get him to a vet for another 15 hours unless they paid for an emergency vet, so I took the tooth out for him. It took only a couple of seconds and he had obviously been in such pain with it that he hadn't eaten for days so he started eating within 10 minutes of it being taken out.

Hmmm... very irresponsible :roll:

Hmmm... very irresponsible :roll:

So you'd rather I'd left him suffering until he got to the emergency dentists and the vet had done exactly the same as I did and charged my friends £300 for the privilege? The tooth was hanging out and the cat was purring and eating within 10 minutes, whereas he hadn't eaten for days beforehand.

He was taken to the vets the following day, the vet agreed that we'd done the right thing and he got some antibiotics to clear up the abscess and was booked in for the dental work to be completed.

So you'd rather I'd left him suffering until he got to the emergency dentists and the vet had done exactly the same as I did and charged my friends £300 for the privilege? The tooth was hanging out and the cat was purring and eating within 10 minutes, whereas he hadn't eaten for days beforehand.

He was taken to the vets the following day, the vet agreed that we'd done the right thing and he got some antibiotics to clear up the abscess and was booked in for the dental work to be completed.

I'm talking about your friend. Her cats not eaten for a few days, is obviously in great pain, so she calls any old pal round to take a look then lets them perform some home surgery on it!! you couldnt make it up...

I'm talking about your friend. Her cats not eaten for a few days, is obviously in great pain, so she calls any old pal round to take a look then lets them perform some home surgery on it!! you couldnt make it up...

medusa is hardly "any old pal" when it comes to cats though is she?

medusa is hardly "any old pal" when it comes to cats though is she?

I dunno??? What is she? All I've gathered is she isn't a vet / doctor / dentist or generally medically qualified.