Advice needed - Landlord is trying to diddle me

In December I have paid my landlord £1000 for deposit and 1 month rent, we have signed a contract for 6 months. However the house was not ready by the day he said it would be, there was no gas/heating, rubble in the back garden and the oven wasnt installed.

Everytime I would contact him he would give me some silly excuse that he couldnt do these things because he was busy somewhere else.

He is now refusing to pay me my money back because I found myself another house, I havent lived in his house for even a day. Could anyone recommend a good solicitor or a plan of action because I am not going to let him get away with this. He thinks he is too clever!

Hi

Phone the Council's Housing Aid on 2735450. They will be advise you on what to do with your landlord.

Good luck!

Hi

Phone the Council's Housing Aid on 2735450. They will be advise you on what to do with your landlord.

Good luck!

Ditto what dizzy_chick says

I would also recommend that anyone having problems with a private landlord click on the following link and contact the Private Rented Standards team (Sheffield City Council) they can be very helpful.

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/?pgid=82486&fs=s