Anti-social yobs & police apathy

Hi

I've been reading some of the recent entries on unchallenged anti-social behaviour around Sheffield, and it reminded me of an incident a few weeks ago which we reported to the police...pointlessly.

We spotted some pretend 'gangsters' smashing up a car one evening and phoned the police...Who turned up a bit later and informed the owners, who are friends of ours, as it happened.

Whilst the owner and the police were inspecting the car, the same kids came back to the scene (we were speaking to the aforementioned friends) and were asking what had happened, loitering to check out the situation. I spoke to one of the officers, to point out that the yobs were speaking to the officer outside......He eventually went outside....had a quick chat with one of the kids....and did absolutely nothing. The kids eventually got bored of winding up the owner and departed, scott-free!

What kind of society do we live in? We clearly witnessed these youths trashing the car and could identify them....so why did the police do bugger all?

Tigs

They probably didn't have any airline tickets or bookings for disney-land available.

If they done something, the kids of today would probably change their attitude and then we'd live in a much nicer society...blah, blah, blah...

We were never given an option to be witnesses! Plus we even found the smashed up tool that they used, and notified the police (assuming there might be prints on it), who never bothered picking it up from us!!

We were never given an option to be witnesses! Plus we even found the smashed up tool that they used, and notified the police (assuming there might be prints on it), who never bothered picking it up from us!!
then make a complaint to the police...

And use up their allegedly non-existant spare resource on admin?

I'd be much happier if they could use the time instead to monitor any anti-social behaviour!

If you put this incident in writing to your local MP, I think he/she would investigate the matter. I think it would be worth it.

With, it would seem, little or no backing from much of society or the courts, the police probably see any involvement as merely reinforcing their impotency. Realising this, the kids will continue to do pretty much what they want with impunity.

One of the reasons I decided to settle in another country was the state of the little baskets we have to put up with on the streets of the UK.

Over here there is very little by way of anti social kids wandering about and even if they fancied a go at scratching a car the owner would go out and give them a cracking. The police would arrest them and make them pay for the damage and then drag them off to court.

As a result of good upbringing and harsh punishment for those that do go bad there is very little problem here except in some of the bigger cities.

Either stop moaning and do something about the little ******** or do as I did and leave them behind.

Good point Diva, I'll do that.

Upinwath, I think that your self definition is spot on, there was no need to be rude.