OAPs not showing Bus passes

Your original question was harmless enough..no different to me asking why Joe Bloggs has won the lottery and not me. I wouldn't have even qualified it with a reply, but to see it only getting 3 or 4 posts in before the wind up merchants came out of the woodwork and jumped on it to turn it into a granny bashing thread yet again I had to respond.

That's when it started getting disrespectful. I myself, always have my pass in my hand before I get on the bus and it would never occur to me to do anything else but flash it as I got on.

Not that I use it much, and when I do it's mainly for coming home from the hospital/doctors, having paid full fare to get there, seeing as my appointments are too early to use it.

Come April 1st though, it will be a different matter. I now intend to go back packing, with my bus pass.

I shall post on here as to how many buses I manage to clock up in and around Sheffield.....just cos I can.

Good for you, gal!! And if you're in the vicinity of Firth Park you can pop in and see me for a cuppa and a natter about how some people are so incredibly ignorant and inconsiderate when it comes to older people.

And, when I get my freebie bus pass in five years' time, maybe we can get together for some joint jaunts :hihi:

Good for you, gal!! And if you're in the vicinity of Firth Park you can pop in and see me for a cuppa and a natter about how some people are so incredibly ignorant and inconsiderate when it comes to older people.

And, when I get my freebie bus pass in five years' time, maybe we can get together for some joint jaunts :hihi:

:hihi:You're on,:thumbsup: is it still a 75 bus I need to Firth Park? oh, and I don't take sugar thanks...:)

Oh and mikomi, I certainly will give up my seat to some needy looking person...if they can prove they need it more than me and especially if they've just paid for it:hihi:

Roll on April.:banana:

Shouldn't have to go far from Firth Park to buy a few joints :D

do you know how much money a pensioner has to live on?????? I'm quite happy for pensioners to get free bus travel. My nan gets the minimum amount in pension and everytime she has to go to hospital for tests etc the bus pass has been invaluable. But when she has to go for tests which means she is not able to use public transport guess what she has to do????? Pay for a taxi, at £10 a journey.

She recently went for some eye tests which left her with very blurred vision and feeling dizzy for the rest of the day - to grt to hospital and back it cost her £20, the same month she had another set of test - again another £20 in taxi fares thats £40 a month out of a total income of less than £400(out of which she has to pay bills etc)

Can you imagine having to pay out more than 10% of you monthly income on 4 taxi journeys?

when i was a student nurse i had to live on this £400 and unlike most old people, i had to pay rent ( they usually own their own home) and had to pay for all my bills and travel and they have their bills cut (especially in winter) so i think they get enough. also half the people that are retired only worked until they were 55 whereas by the time i will retire i will be nearer to 70.:( so there really isnt any justice in the world.

although there is the argument of "well we fought in the war" i dont believe this is an excuse as they didnt go to war for free but had a wage just like everyone else. Everyone has to tow the line whether you are a soldier, nurse, doctor, police officer worker etc!:mad:

when i was a student nurse i had to live on this £400 and unlike most old people, i had to pay rent ( they usually own their own home) and had to pay for all my bills and travel and they have their bills cut (especially in winter) so i think they get enough. also half the people that are retired only worked until they were 55 whereas by the time i will retire i will be nearer to 70.:( so there really isnt any justice in the world.

although there is the argument of "well we fought in the war" i dont believe this is an excuse as they didnt go to war for free but had a wage just like everyone else. Everyone has to tow the line whether you are a soldier, nurse, doctor, police officer worker etc!:mad:

I don't think you really know much about the elderly. They are as diverse as any other age group, however a large proportion of council tenants are pensioners - and if they have a bit of a company pension they often have to pay all their rent and council tax. A student is exempt from council tax I believe?

As a student, you also have the option to work part time and increase your income. Also, surely your studies will lead to a well paid job? Many elderly people can no longer manage to work, but don't qualify for any disability benefits. Lots of them had to leave school at a young age and work at anything they could to keep their families, as the benefits system wasn't as generous even 20 years ago as it is now.

Although there won't be many left now who actually 'went to war' most of us over 60 had parents who did. Your comment about them being paid shows a sad lack of awareness of what life was like for them. People had no choice - if they didn't volunteer, they were called up and paid very poorly for their efforts - if they survived. If they didn't, their families had to cope as best they could. Although that discussion has little to do with a pensioner and a bus pass, it goes some way to explain the lack of understanding and consideration shown to elderly people nowadays. I trust as a nurse you show more compassion to your patients.

I'm over 60, and like lots of others still work part time. I looked after my children when they were young, so didn't pay enough NI contributions for a full state pension. My generation didn't get pension credits for doing it, unlike nowadays.

Shouldn't have to go far from Firth Park to buy a few joints :D

Tsk, tsk - don't know what you might be talking about :hihi:

What on earth made you go into nursing? It's supposed to be a caring profession, but from your apparent lack of compassion and any sort of empathy for other people I would have thought it was the last career you would have chosen.

What on earth made you go into nursing? It's supposed to be a caring profession, but from your apparent lack of compassion and any sort of empathy for other people I would have thought it was the last career you would have chosen.
Well said. I wonder how those old folk bought their houses etc etc........

I agree... I would hate a person like that to be looking after anybody dear to me. Compassion? they don't know the meaning of the word.