Smokers beware when outside

Now lets get one thing straight, I aint the sharpest knife in the box! But, walking around the area I live I see areas set aside for those that smoke. I have no problems with that. What I do find strange is that many of these areas are under wooden outdoor canopies and are, more often than not, on wooden decking. We saw by the Bradford Football Ground fire of recent years how dropped paper can be fanned if ignited and cause a ventori. I hope this doesnt happen, either locally or nationally, but I cant help but wonder if wood was an ideal choice for those that smoke!.

Wood's actually pretty slow to get going on fire - although it burns very well once it has got going.

A glowing cigarette end almost certainly couldn't set a wooden floor on fire. The primary cause of the Bradford disaster wasn't the wooden stand (although that certainly contributed) but the amount of paper litter that was piled up underneath it. Paper burns fast.

Wood's actually pretty slow to get going on fire - although it burns very well once it has got going.

A glowing cigarette end almost certainly couldn't set a wooden floor on fire. The primary cause of the Bradford disaster wasn't the wooden stand (although that certainly contributed) but the amount of paper litter that was piled up underneath it. Paper burns fast.

not to be padantic but...isnt paper made from wood?....:)

not to be padantic but...isnt paper made from wood?....:)

Aye. Weird isn't it?

I'd be more wary of leaving unnatended drinks inside whilst slipping out for a cancer stick...

As the original starter of the thread I would like to ask people that do smoke outside establishments, not always public houses, to look thru the decking. We have a paper collection in my area on a Tuesday and today, beneath one decking is enough paper that has been blown to cause alarm. And for those that maynot know, a venteuri (spelt correctly this time) is similar to blowing across the top of a straw to pick up paper, the principle the Bolehills were built on, with the draft, e.g. wind, coming up the Rivlin Valley. This causes the effect of a damper and would ignite with the smallest of embers. If the paper can be blown there I would suggest there is a potential problem. It's an observation, and a potential risk.

The obvious solution to this clear safety risk would be to ban smoking outdoors and only permit it inside public houses.

But, Basil, if all the smokers were hustled inside again, then the anti-smoking brigade would..........doh......Basil, you're having us on !!