Shiregreen school aka bracken hill school

fravaya i am so interested to find out who you are, i went to the school from th age of 5 was born in 75 so went there from 1979/1980 until went on to hinde house at the age of 11 but both my brothers went there from 1984 on wards. I lived on the estate and remember lots of fun time at school i was a teachers pet though pm me im sure you'll know me

Regards my earlier post....it was Richard Beaumont that went on to play for the Owls. Also remember a Gary White that played in Midfield too. Seems like the brains kicked in again...
he also played with simon mills who i also beleive played for the owls

Mr priest was one of my form teachers back in around 78/79 in one of those concrete sheds down the slope behind concord school,i couldn't stand the bloke because he always kept me in during breaks until my dad had a go with him then he never really bothered me.

You will remember mr and mrs Abbott then they actually also taught my children at Infant school CofE on penistone road

new to the sight I went to shiregreen school from 1965 then onto hinde house .I lived on shiregreen lane and we used to walk through the brick yard to get to school .I can remember the chimney being demolished too. my first teacher was mrs parkin also remember mrs hill and mrs shaw miss kennedy and also mr priest . classmates I remember Janice chapman Julie green Kathryn ellis Michael Beasley and also twins called Robert and Geoffrey newbold if anyone else remembers any of these would be interested x

Went through most of the 3 schools in th 50's/early 60's. The Nursery Infants was located on the ground floor of the 2 storey block at the top of Bracken Road. Miss Lynch was the head then, Mrs Lee? in charge of the Nursery. The Juniors were housed in the single storey building lower down Bracken Road, Headteacher in the late 50's was a Mr Ron Raynor, deputy Mr Norman Coombs, other staff from memory - Mrs Betty Hill, Bernard Priest (later to become head as mentioned above). He started there about 1958/9? The secondary was located on the 1st floor above the Nursery Infants and had a relatively high number of pupils in hutted accommodation between the school playground and the old quarry / brickworks. Headteacher was Mr Harold Lamb, succeeded by Mr Smith. Teachers again from memory - Mr Broadhead, Mr Moss, Mr David, Fred Collins replaced as PE teacher by Mr. Naylor, Mr Watkin, Mr Burgin, Mr Lawton, Miss Fincham, Mr Heywood, Mr Martin, Mrs Mosely etc etc. The schools at that time I thought were very good, most were very good teachers, good discipline in a catchment area where there was a terrific mix. The enclosure was built around 1961/2 - a rectangle all weather play surface (compacted grit sand) enclosed by a 9 foot or so chainlink fence. A great boon to the sports department. The hutted accommodation were old Nissan huts housing the kitchen, art room, science lab, the HORSA huts (concrete block, pitched asbestos roofs/metal casement windows) housed music, woodwork and general classrooms. About 5 double blocks built right on the school boundary in a line overlooking the quarry. Playgrounds - the juniors had 2 - 1 to the side of the buiding adjacent to Wincobank Avenue, the other behind the building. Air-raid shelters (blast shelters really) surrounded the perimeter of the yards. The secondary school had 2 playgrounds - 1 to the rear (boys) and 1 between the 2 storey block and the junior school shared by the infants and senior girls. Play-shelters and external toilets were in both the latter yards - the juniors didn't have a playshelter. I was always led to believe the original 2 storey block was built to house (or was used) for 1st World War casualties. Loads more in my memory banks if anyone's interested or might have bored folks enough? Happy days back then:)

Oh such lovely memories :))))

---------- Post added 20-01-2014 at 16:30 ----------

Windmill Lane - opposite Flower Estate

new to the sight I went to shiregreen school from 1965 then onto hinde house .I lived on shiregreen lane and we used to walk through the brick yard to get to school .I can remember the chimney being demolished too. my first teacher was mrs parkin also remember mrs hill and mrs shaw miss kennedy and also mr priest . classmates I remember Janice chapman Julie green Kathryn ellis Michael Beasley and also twins called Robert and Geoffrey newbold if anyone else remembers any of these would be interested x

Think I was also in your class around that time. Some more names you may remember.....David Lonsdale. Paul Naylor. Richard Sellars, Brian Osgathorpe. Michael Hefferon. Dwain Saxon. Robert Elliott. Wendy Lavender. Jane Raynor. Susan Raynor. I remember Mrs Hill at the infants and when I went across to the juniors was in Mrs Shaws class then moved on to Mr Priest and Miss kennedy. Seem to remember the name Mr Veers! and the Headteacher was Mr Coombs. Did you ever go to the play centre after school had finished?

I went to shiregreen nursery in 1942 and we used to play on a triangular piece if land in the middle of the road (fenced) but hardly any traffic then. We used to nap on little pink beds. I had a fight with a boy because I wanted his peg picture. Went to infant school and stayed through until after 11 plus. We used to dare each other to run through the old air raid shelters which were full of debris. Talk about health and safety. Headmaster was Mr Kent and some of the teachers were Mr Coombs, Mr Ludbrook, Mrs Moore. Would love to get in contact with anyone from those days. My name was Carol S.

I went to the infants and junior school.  I didn't go to the nursery but I remember seeing the little cots on the grass and wishing I could be on one of them!  Oh my word!  Mr Priest and his two fingers that he used to dig under your ribs. 

There was one nice lady, I think she was a secretary.  I want to say Mrs Sheldon. She lived on Swanbourne Road and she used to hold my hand walking me home.

Mrs Marsden was a horror: she hated me!  Mr Coombs was the headteacher.  At the end of the year in assembly, he used to say 'and stay out of the hands of the police' and we used to reply 'same to you sir!' which felt really naughty to me.

Kathryn Ellis was my best friend: she's a year older than me.  I saw her last year: I got the impression she doesn't want to be best friends anymore, lol.  I seem to get on better with her Mum these day!  Must be an age thing.

I was in the same year as Dwaine Saxtons sister Kim.  

I remember Mr & Mrs Abbott.  He touch French didn't he?  Mrs Abbott still teaches, or at least she did 20 years ago when I went to collage.  She taught me English: I did better that time around and got an A.

The nurse was in a clinic underneath the school, down a ramp.  We went there for our TB jabs.  By the time the Chinese whisperers had finished, the needle went in your arm, twisted round and hit the bone: very painful by all accounts.  Kids!  She did nits and verruca's as well.

There were houses: Brittons were blue, Romans were red, Saxons were yellow and, Danes were green I think.

One of the most useful things I was taught in Home Economics, was how to iron a shirt.  I can honestly say that lesson wasn't a waste of time!

I have things to do: more reminiscing another time.

On 01/06/2019 at 11:37, dotcunni said:

I remember Mr & Mrs Abbott.  He touch French didn't he?  Mrs Abbott still teaches, or at least she did 20 years ago when I went to collage.  She taught me English: I did better that time around and got an A.

The nurse was in a clinic underneath the school, down a ramp.  We went there for our TB jabs.  By the time the Chinese whisperers had finished, the needle went in your arm, twisted round and hit the bone: very painful by all accounts.  Kids!  She did nits and verruca's as well.

There were houses: Brittons were blue, Romans were red, Saxons were yellow and, Danes were green I think.

One of the most useful things I was taught in Home Economics, was how to iron a shirt.  I can honestly say that lesson wasn't a waste of time!

I have things to do: more reminiscing another time.

Hi people from Shiregreen Infants.  I’ve just randomly come across this thread of ex- pupils. 

I was there early 1970’s when decimalisation was invented. 

I was there when the toilets were still outside!!! With disgusting loo roll. 

I can remember some of the names of these teachers,,,,,, Miss Abbot taught me as her first class when qualified, and I came across her a few years ago at Crookesmoor. Miss Furniss was one of my favourite teachers Ever!!! I had another young lady teacher, but can’t recall her name, same time as Judy Abbot.  

A lot of the teachers were strange Priest and Coombs ? 

Dwayne Saxton rings a bell, his sisters were Dawn & Kim?

Catherine Ellis - was her brother Christopher? I think others in my class were,

Christine Burns, a boy called Paul? Michael Furniss I think, loads of others lost to my memory at the moment. 

I left as soon as, to go to Limpsfield middle school, we had carpets,,,haha 

On 01/06/2019 at 11:14, dotcunni said:

I went to the infants and junior school.  I didn't go to the nursery but I remember seeing the little cots on the grass and wishing I could be on one of them!  Oh my word!  Mr Priest and his two fingers that he used to dig under your ribs. 

There was one nice lady, I think she was a secretary.  I want to say Mrs Sheldon. She lived on Swanbourne Road and she used to hold my hand walking me home.

Mrs Marsden was a horror: she hated me!  Mr Coombs was the headteacher.  At the end of the year in assembly, he used to say 'and stay out of the hands of the police' and we used to reply 'same to you sir!' which felt really naughty to me.

Hi 

I left Shiregreen school in 1964 when we moved to Parson cross.

I remember Mr Coombs (Norman)he had a thing for one of the teachers Mrs Hill, her daughter Judith was in our class.

Went back to the school about 20 years ago be fore it was knocked down and rebuilt