Shiregreen school aka bracken hill school

anyone remember Mr innman

Oh yes oh yes me and Norman go way back hope hes still alive and kicking

would love to meet up with the old fellow now.

P.S he may be shocked to see how i turned out.

hiya dean

seem to remember you had a few runins with mr inman , did you ever get the cane from him or had it just been stopped when we went to hind house? When you look back, wasn't school brill.

i used to go to braken hill and when it used to rain in a morning we would all sit and listen to stories and vagly i remember this but one tme it started to thunder and we were doing our nativity and it started to thunder and all of a sudden a chair was tipped over and the lights started to dim. someone said they saw a figure flot across the room.

Went through most of the 3 schools in th 50's/early 60's. The Nursery Infants was located on the ground floor of the 2 storey block at the top of Bracken Road. Miss Lynch was the head then, Mrs Lee? in charge of the Nursery. The Juniors were housed in the single storey building lower down Bracken Road, Headteacher in the late 50's was a Mr Ron Raynor, deputy Mr Norman Coombs, other staff from memory - Mrs Betty Hill, Bernard Priest (later to become head as mentioned above). He started there about 1958/9? The secondary was located on the 1st floor above the Nursery Infants and had a relatively high number of pupils in hutted accommodation between the school playground and the old quarry / brickworks. Headteacher was Mr Harold Lamb, succeeded by Mr Smith. Teachers again from memory - Mr Broadhead, Mr Moss, Mr David, Fred Collins replaced as PE teacher by Mr. Naylor, Mr Watkin, Mr Burgin, Mr Lawton, Miss Fincham, Mr Heywood, Mr Martin, Mrs Mosely etc etc. The schools at that time I thought were very good, most were very good teachers, good discipline in a catchment area where there was a terrific mix. The enclosure was built around 1961/2 - a rectangle all weather play surface (compacted grit sand) enclosed by a 9 foot or so chainlink fence. A great boon to the sports department. The hutted accommodation were old Nissan huts housing the kitchen, art room, science lab, the HORSA huts (concrete block, pitched asbestos roofs/metal casement windows) housed music, woodwork and general classrooms. About 5 double blocks built right on the school boundary in a line overlooking the quarry. Playgrounds - the juniors had 2 - 1 to the side of the buiding adjacent to Wincobank Avenue, the other behind the building. Air-raid shelters (blast shelters really) surrounded the perimeter of the yards. The secondary school had 2 playgrounds - 1 to the rear (boys) and 1 between the 2 storey block and the junior school shared by the infants and senior girls. Play-shelters and external toilets were in both the latter yards - the juniors didn't have a playshelter. I was always led to believe the original 2 storey block was built to house (or was used) for 1st World War casualties. Loads more in my memory banks if anyone's interested or might have bored folks enough? Happy days back then:)

I went here in the 90's when it was Bracken Hill Primary. Tony Laycock as Head, later Mrs Burgess (I can never remember her first name)

I stayed here until Y5. I remember the yellow staircase was creepy as hell, and if you were brave enough to go down that staircase instead of the red staircase on the other side of the building, you used to run like hell, so the Green Lady would not get you.

That staircase to the attic was scary.... :gag:

I'm also interested in finding out more about the hospital it was before it was a school.

i went to shiregreen school from nursery up to leaving school .my father went to shiregreen from being 8 years old i have the pics if he were alive he would be 93 that gives you some idea on the age

Hi have just found the threed about Bracken rd shcool so I have just registerd so that I can shed a little light on the shcool and the area around Istarted shcool whenI was five and can recallect the day as if it was yesterday my Mother took me at 09.00 and we went in via the side door and along the corriderto the hall we turnd right and went to the top class room on the left their were a lot of children starting a lot of crying and I had to sit at the back and was given a slate and a piece of chalk and a tin of see shells so that we could start counting my mother collected me at 3oclock to take me home then I had to go on my own after that

arnie

Edited by arnoldhaslam
missed puting the dates instarted school January 1930finished in 1939

I started teaching at Shiregreen when Pete Inman was temporary head. Met Jim Fryer, Dave Hutton, Wendy Roberts, Lynn Bowman whilst teaching there from 1978 to around 1982. Then left for Monteney

Interesting.

I was a pupil at Shiregreen Middle School between 1981 - 1985 approx.

I remember Mr Mahoney, who I was slightly in love with and was very kind to our family when my Dad died when I was in his class. I also seem to remember he lived locally and went door to door as a washing machine repair man in the school holidays.

There was Mrs Simpson who died when her two dogs dragged her into a river.

Mrs Marsden and Mr Inman were two of the older generation, who could be very, very firm but also very kind. Again Mr Inman stuck his neck out for my sister and supported her in finding extra tuition out of school for music.

I remember Mr Priest and was very relieved to have never been in his class. I remember though one year he came back from the summer holidays a changed man, I remember the rumoured reason why he changed so dramaticly, but wont say so here for fear of getting into trouble.

Other names I remember were Mrs Wilkinson, Mrs Collins, Mrs Fryer and the headteacher Mr Booth - who I remember to be a lovely man. Alot of the teachers used to frequent the Roman Ridge Pub and smelt distinctly of beer in an afternoon!

I think the area was going down hill a bit at the time and some of the people who lived there left alot to be desired - some notorious families around and I remember being scared of dome of the kids at the school.

Overall though, a lovely school with some dedicated teachers.

And yes, I do remember the scary staircase upto the attic - wasn't the staffroom up there?

Snoop

Yes I know all of the teachers you mention. John Booth took over from Keith Sanderson around 1980/81.

Scurrilous rumour about the Roman Ridge though! lol

I still see puplis dotted around the City - usually when I am in town with my mates only to be accosted by some pretty young thing which of course gives the lasd plenty of licence for taking the mickey. Or by some hulking brute who I remember as a freckle faced 11 year old- the lads I am out with tend to sidle away at this point!

Snoop

Yes I know all of the teachers you mention. John Booth took over from Keith Sanderson around 1980/81.

Scurrilous rumour about the Roman Ridge though! lol

I still see puplis dotted around the City - usually when I am in town with my mates only to be accosted by some pretty young thing which of course gives the lasd plenty of licence for taking the mickey. Or by some hulking brute who I remember as a freckle faced 11 year old- the lads I am out with tend to sidle away at this point!

I think Mr Sanderson was headteacher for my first year, and Mr Booth took over in my second year.

I've just remembered Mrs Collins, who had something wrong with her voice, but still seemed to manage to control the class though she spoke only in a whisper

Edited by scoop

Snoop

Yes that was Janet Collins. She left teaching and went down a very Academic Route as an Educational Researcher working with Sheffield University.

Keith Sanderson left to run a deli store at Totley but returned to teaching as a supply teacher, I believe.

I am one of the teachers you mentioned earlier but left teaching around 15 years ago.