VAT Registration / Small Business advice

A bit of along shot this but does anybody know of a good (read: reasonably priced and knowledgable) accountant who I can see for advice on VAT regtistration and e-trading.

Thanks.

P.S. I realise this is probably the wrong board but wasn't sure if this post classes as 'Job and Employment'

What kind of advice are you after - I can give you the basics for free, or offer a consultation. I've set up a couple of my own businesses, and been a consultant for a couple of startups too.

Most accountants, including ourselves, offer the first meeting for free so it gives you a chance to meet and get to know them before it costs you any oney or you have to sign up to them.

My company's accountant is superb and reasonably priced. He also makes himself available which I think is very important.

Phone David Parkinson on 0845 652 1967 and mention this forum (and me!).

Alternatively, go to http://www.parkinsonsaccountants.com

My company's accountant is superb and reasonably priced. He also makes himself available which I think is very important.

Who said accountancy was boring, eh? :hihi: :hihi:

adrian at AMPG on chesterfield rd is a fantastic bloke who will pull out all the stops to get you up and running in the right way and all sorts of advice.

ive used him since day 1 (11 yrs ago)

mention steve ar Arrow Removals.

0114 2747759 AMPG ACCOUNTANTS

The firm I work for is a great firm for VAT returns, and we offer a very low competitive rate, the returns are completed as soon as we recieve your records for there quarter. We will register you for VAT, get you up and running and then keep you updated at every turn. Give us a call for a free quote:

Hewitts - Chartered Accountants,

60 Scotland St, Sheffield S3 7DB

Tel: 0114 272 1232 | Fax: 0114 270 0213 | Email: [email protected]

Revenue and customs do a flat rate vat scheme for small businesses with a turn over upto around £130,000. Basically, you charge the vat at 17.5% as usual but only pay a flat rate back to R+C based on your turnover. Different businesses pay different percentages. You can't claim vat back on general purchases unless the cost exceeds £2,000inc vat. It works well for my business but you would have to look at the overall picture to see if it works for you. Its a doddle to account for though so saves the cost of an accountant.

If your e-trading then flat rate VAT is not for you, You'll need to register if your over the threshold for turnover (last time I looked it was £56K)

Once your registered you can claim back VAT on items you buy for your business, but youhave to charge (and pay the VAT man) VAT on goods you sell.

Simply:

Stock costs £100+VAT to buy

You buy stock for £117.50 including VAT

You Sell Stock for £200+VAT

You sell stock for £235 including VAT

You reclaim the £17.50, but have collected £35 when selling your goods, so you owe the VAT man £17.50, which you pay up quarterly.