Abbeydale secondary modern

cheers for the reply ron its a shame you cant be there hope life is good for you in thailand!!

abbeydale secondary modern reunion at the beauchief hotel on sept 27th will you be there?

abbeydale secondary modern reunion at the beauchief hotel on sept 27th will you be there?

what time does it start i intend giving it a look i was at abbeydale untill 1958

Hi, I was there in the 60's. Lived near the school and remember many names. Teachers, Spooner, Cartwright, Clarke, Wilson, Murray, Harvard, Tapton etc. School names, Christine Green, Susan Pashley, Janice Gent, Janis and John Shutt, Helen and John Parker, Anne Makinson, David Plews etc. Anyone out there remember the Sirous family?

hi yes I remember Spooner he was asst head master and we use to go to the School up carternowle rd forget the name .was wilson the 1 with hair lip and there was 1 very good PT instructor

I remember the 2 brothers that use to have a big black car with driver

I remember going to Carterknowle for some P.E. lessons, javelin, discus, netball, etc. Come rain or shine. Also had housewifery there and learnt cookery and how to iron a handkerchief. Sewing was taught there in my day by Miss Househusband who told me I would never learn to do anything because I was left handed! Been sewing for years and make all sorts.... I remember Riggs the butchers on the corner of Glen Road and how we would nip to Newbolds across the road for some sweets. Mr.Wilson was the one with the hare lip and there was another chap whose name eludes me for the moment - Slade? We went swimming to Heeley Baths.I swam for County and also became a Sheffield Harrier practising at Owlerton Stadium.

Edited by Ulianna
forgot something

Hi there,I went to Abbeydale from 1961 to 1965.Some teachers I remember, Mr Jonhnson headmaster,Mr Spooner,Mr Tatman,Mr Cartwright,Mr Glasby Mrs Abson,Miss Fairclough,Mrs Cooper and the top PE man Alex Wilson.Classmmates included Neil Armstrong,Malclom Silverwood, Patrick Clarke,Bob Webster,John Bentley Myra Goodchild, Kath Foster, Christine Harrison,Brenda Smith.Those were the days.Happy memories.When is the next re-union.

Hello Jack, I think you were there a bit before me. I'm more late 60's but some of the teachers' names I certainly recognise. I don't know the next reunion but I have read on this site that there is one every month at the Beauchief Hotel in the mornings. One pupil name I do recognise is Neil Armstrong. When my parents moved they went to live next door to the Armstrongs on Chelsea Road. I believe both his parents have since passed on and he has been divorced from Kath for quite some years. Kath sent my Mum a Christmas card every year until she died last year. Of Neil I know no more.

Hi Ulianna, I bumped into Neil about 6 months ago in Dronfield.Iwas walking my dog when a car pulled up alongside me,the driver said excuse me is your name Steve,yes I replied lo and behold its Neil. I had,nt seen him for about 30 years,he,s living in Hope and doing well. have not seen many of the others for years.

You obviously haven't changed in 30yrs ! :) Was the PE teacher Mr.Scaife ?