Should I or shouldn't I?

Ive been thinking of getting a doggy pal for my oldie dally. Would have to be cat and of course dog friendly. My dally seems happy but on occasions does try to play with my cats but theyre not too keen so was thinking a doggy mate would be good for him. Not sure what age I should get if I do decide to get one tho. Any suggestions would be welcome :)

As with everyone who has asked the same question, I would say look at why you want another dog.

I have two dals - a 2.5 year old and a 13 year old and they are SO much work!! My 13 year old was a rescue when my 'pup' was 1 and although she was great for him, he's had a very bad effect on her (he wasn't dog friendly although we were told he was, so even though he loves T, his behaviour with other dogs has rubbed off on her).

People say two dogs are no more work than one but they are! Don't be fooled! They cost twice as much, you have to keep an eye on two dogs as opposed to one when you're out and about, I don't know what your dal is like but most elderly dals still think they're pups and believe me - your house will never be the same again if you have two of the buggers bouncing around!! :lol:

If you're up for all that and actually want a second dog for you, then go for it. If the second dog is purely for Yoda - I'd seriously rethink.

As for age, my two get on perfectly - I couldn't ask for a better pairing but Eddy is getting sore with arthritis now and they do need splitting up to give him some respite! The problem is, he still wants to play but I can see when it's getting too much, so I'll tell Takara to leave him alone and then as soon as she settles down and turns away from him (doing as I've asked!) he launches himself at her!

Also, you may find that Yoda gets a lot more out of seeing the other dogs on walks - or your friend's dogs than he does with a dog he lives with all the time.

If you would like to meet up with mad dog Takara for a play, she'll be more than happy to oblige :D

(Eddy won't because apparently he should be the only male dally on Earth!)

I've got a pair of dogs, and have to say half the time I don't even know I have em. They are brother and sister mind but get on fantastically.

I'd make sure you get proper intro's though if you do decide to get another

Ive got two doggies. they couldnt be further apart in breeds & personality if you tried!! she is a big 7 stone clumsy bull mastiff x boxer aged 2, and he is the quickest off the mark border terrier x patterdale youve ever seen!! aged 4. they were both rescued. the border from thornbury animal sanctuary, she from a broken home situation.. hes anxious, a bit tetchy, submissive with all cept staffies for some reason but he is obedient most of the time!!

She is lazy, over affectionate (gets on youre knee to be cuddled and sits begging till you give in and let her!!) eats eats and eats if you let her, wont tolerate many dogs. yet her and the terrier are like andy cap and flo/ jack and vera!! theyre insepereable .. they both sit at the gate..her leaning on him! they sleep in each others bed.when shes in his shes only got her head on it cos shes too big! they are best of friends and play endelessly...why am i telling you this?

because i believe to have 2 dogs is , yes more work and more costs , esp vet bills and jabs etc, but to see the joy they give each other, and me watching them enjoy life together is worth it if you can cope with the extra responsibilty.:)

my dog was 8 years old when we got 2, 8 week old pups. Jess mothered the pups & looked after them, they all played together & were great friends (they had their squabbles every so often)! It was a pleasure to take them out & although sometimes they were hard work, they more than made up for that. Jess lived to 15 & the pups lived to 17 ( we lost them both last year). so, go on, get another one & see them play together, it's great!

I thought about this for a long time and so glad i now have 2. It is more work don't care what anyone says lol.

Tilly has given ALbert so much comfort since being here i never realised what a anxious dog he was until she came. I just thought he loved people which he does but it was more than that he was seeking security all the time.

He can now sleep downstairs on his own and chooses when he wants to, he copes with camping where as previously was very scared and best of all he coped wonderfully with the fireworks compared to the year before. She is just a little dream and the easiest dogs ever once you know her. I love seeing them together they aren't affectionate but in there own way i know they give each other something.

I've got 4 dogs aged 15,13,4 and 1 and it is hard graft but it's worth the effort

After careful consideration and reading all your posts, which btw I'm thankful for :) I am going to look at some rescues to find a friend for my doggy.

Oh forgot to add if anyone hears of a cat and dog friendly pooch who needs a loving home please PM :)

I hope your first port of call will be the Rain Rescue website :)

you can see the dogs available at a number of local rescues, including the sheffield council dog pound on there :thumbsup:

wrt being cat friendly - have a read of some of the threads from the past on introducing a new dog to a cat home, as even a cat used to dogs, and a dog used to cats, may not get along immediately ;)

How about Lillie? Adz found her to be a great dog with everything and she desperately needs a fresh start, love and a home to call her own :)