Anyone go to the Gregg School in Broomhill 1952/1955?

I was there!Barry is 3 years older than me and whilst I remember the name I cannot picture him!

Sorry about the late reply I have only just seen your post. No, I wasn't there but Barry was a very tall guy and well built, there are a couple of links to his picture here, I only hope you don't have to log in to see them, otherwise you can open an account. The photographs might bring back some memories?

http://www.friendsreunited.com/SignedIn/Homepage.aspx?auth=H4XWB87qvgIqVXQM5s4jog==&RememberMe=True#undefined

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/album.page/album?albumKey=18914&albumType=1&member_key=0&mediaKey=11056857&commentPage=0&isdefault=0&Type=IS

Cheers,

Grahame.

Edited by Grahame

Hello everyone. I live in the USA but my brother and I attended Gregg School in Croydon some time around 1951-1953. It was indeed a horrible school and the day I found out that I could leave school at 15yo I left. I remember a teacher who taught religion of some sort and he actually hit my brother in the ear and ruptured his ear drum. There was a maths teacher who spent all his time staring at the one girl in the class with big boobs. Seemed like every teacher either had a limp or some other problem. My learning was minimal but thankfully I caught up later in life. Our surname was Wuyts, anyone remember us?

I attended the Gregg School in Sheffield and when we moved south in 1955 I also attended the Gregg school in Croydon for a year. (Sept 1955-56). I was enrolled at the school in Croydon much against my will. I still remember going there for the sign up and thinking what a dump it was. The principal was showing us around and there was a bloody great hole in the wall at the top of the stairs, the building itself a large decaying Victorian era house on the London Road. It was a complete let down after the Sheffield Gregg school

The Croydon school was about a whole year behind Sheffield in just about every subject. The principal was a Taffy (named Lewis I think) and the school song was borrowed from a well known Welsh hymn with words composed by Lewis. I still remember the words to this day believe it or not

The teachers were very much as you describe. Apart from Lewis I can only remember another one whose name was Brocklehurst and who taught history.

I got into a few fisitcuffs with my fellow pupils, the southern boys who tried to make fun of my Sheffield accent :hihi:

When the new term started in September 1956 I flat out refused to go back and got a job instead.

Anyone go to the Gregg School in Broomhill 1952/1955? It was across the road from king Edward V11 school. Mr Arnold was headmaster. Two other teachers remembered were Jock Sutherland and Stewart Rankin. The school closed long ago and the building is now an annex to the Rutland hotel.

Yes I did, I loved Mr Rankin and do you remember the English Teacher who read Brown stories. Do you remember Mr Anrnold's wife and glam daughter.

and the lovely irish dinner lady.

Does anyone know what happened to Richard Storrie. He was certainly the boy the girls fancied.

Does anyone know what happened to Richard Storrie. He was certainly the boy the girls fancied.

If its the same guy, he had a sex change about 1980. Last time I saw him he was known as Rita and had been arrested for prostitution whilst living in Venice.

I remember Joan Swinscoe, she also attended Greysones Sec Mod. was known to be something of a bully, tho' I am sure she is a nice person now! Glyn Atkinson, did he have a sister called Angela? She went to Ecclesall High school.

DId you know a Rosalie or Rita or even Maureen (she was very pretty

Does anyone remember Rita Maxwell. Rosalie or Maureen (she was the beauty of the year)?:

I remember Joan Swinscoe, she also attended Greysones Sec Mod. was known to be something of a bully, tho' I am sure she is a nice person now! Glyn Atkinson, did he have a sister called Angela? She went to Ecclesall High school.

yes,his sister was called angela,blonde and quite pretty!Last I heard,many years ago she had married and moved south to one of the new towns,Brentwood I think.

Edited by dsweetman

Thanks I have just spent a very happy hour walking down memory lane.

...............I think Angela lives locally, I saw her recently at Morrisons Meadowhead. She had a look of Kathy Kirby as a teenager!

Yes I did, I loved Mr Rankin and do you remember the English Teacher who read Brown stories. Do you remember Mr Anrnold's wife and glam daughter.

and the lovely irish dinner lady.

Was the English teacher Mr Humphries whose wife also taught there? And can you remember the name of the teacher(maths I believe) who had a terrible time in our class at least. He wore blue suits and had black boots as I recall, and no discipline and was assaulted by one of the pupils one day. He was a nice man but unsuited to our age group. I notice Roger Sherwood retired the other day if you remember him.