Anyone go to the Gregg School in Broomhill 1952/1955?

Arnold's daughter, Christine, sometimes works at St Lukes on Ecclesall Road, she may be

willing to help.

Does Christine go under the Arnold surname ?

Not sure, I know she was in a relationship with a chap called Ray Brownhill, he was a director of Sheffield Metal Company.

Whether they got married or not, I don't know.

I know she also had two sons, not sure who the father was.

I saw Roger Heath (1958-63) last week - must have been 50 years since I last met him. He looked in good health and younger than his years. He was a good footballer and cricketer and played for Sheffield under 18s at cricket . I also sometimes see Howard Roney (he left in 1962) . His father owned the butchers shop on Sharrow vale Road . Howard looks in good health and fit.

Hi Peter, No one seems to write on this site anymore. Hope you are well . Do you remember Margaret Hunter who married Barry Toms ?  Barry died in 2000 aged 52 , but she is still going strong, living in Hampshire and still working for the local Chamber of Commerce  . Margaret Toms is on Linkedin  if you want to get in touch. Roger Heath is still active but doesn't remember many of his old school mates and doesn't do any form of computer !!

My name is Roger Davison ,I did go to University but not for another 5 years after leaving Gregg school. I was a lecturer in Economics for much of my working life and I have spent many years in local authority politics ,having been in various posts. Now I am a happy backbencher with little responsibility, except for constituents casework.   Hope to hear from you.

On 01/12/2015 at 20:25, WharncliffeS said:

I came across this forum purely by chance.

My name is Peter Vaughton. I went to Greggs, starting in the 3rd. Form in 1961 and leaving after taking O Levels in the 5th.

The least said about the results, the better.

The highlight was certainly when the 5th Formers (I was in the 3rd at the time) lifted Stuart Rankin's Mini round the corner. How did he get his shoes to shine like that?

I was fascinated by the posts and the memories flooded back - I even trawled up the following names I remember from my form and others who regularly travelled together on the buses to school.

Not in any particular order, but just as I remembered them.

I may have a couple of first names wrong, as it was a very 'surname oriented time'.

Here goes:-

Chris Wade, Barbara Hitchen, Tony Ford, Barry Lawson, Viv George (male), Barry Tomms, Helen Powell, Julie Hutchins, Howard Dickens, John Jackson, John Hilton-Tapp, ? Varnes, Denise & Christine Hollins (twins), Kenneth Beresford, Val Cope (her mother was School Secretary), Bob Lenzini, Raymond Woodcraft.

I am sure that more names will spring to mind, but. I hope some will remember these.

Ron Shirt taught English. I believe he had a nervous breakdown. He was ragged something awful. On one occasion I remember he went out of the room (4th form downstairs) for a few seconds and when he came back Helen Powell's bra was on his desk. He freaked out.

Did anyone go on the school trip

trip to Middelkirk, Belgium?

Hotel Victoria. Had my first taste of Stella Artois. I think i was in 4th form.

Prefects were allowed to smoke in their Common Room - a little attic room at the top of the stairs.

I didn't like the time at school, not because it was Greggs, but I was not in a learning frame of mind at that time.

I went on to Ecclesfield. Grammar and topped up my O levels.

University wasn't for me, I joined a bank and stuck it for 34 years..

I'm sorry it all a it disjointed but it's just as I have remembered it.

Hi Peter if you read this look at the previous email ,it was addressed to you but somehow the link didn't work. Hope you are well

Hi Roger, I am sorry I cannot recall you but that’s not unusual for people in the lofty realms of 1 year higher :-) I am well  No I hope you are too. Tempus fugit and now 73 for my sins. I have completely lost touch with every one from Greggs - even my long time best mate from Deepcar, Chris Wade.  I will try harder to look at the postings more often.

20 hours ago, WharncliffeS said:

Hi Roger, I am sorry I cannot recall you but that’s not unusual for people in the lofty realms of 1 year higher 🙂 I am well  No I hope you are too. Tempus fugit and now 73 for my sins. I have completely lost touch with every one from Greggs - even my long time best mate from Deepcar, Chris Wade.  I will try harder to look at the postings more often.

There is a private facebook group for ex gregg school pupils if you want to introduce yourself,the local members have the odd get together for a drink and a bite.

It's several years since I looked on here but there isn't a great deal more than before.   Only want to say, like David Sweetman, that there is another newer site via Facebook 'Gregg School 2016 should anyone want to put photos or comment on there but we do use our own names!       I'm  Averil Hurt and hopefully look forward to pupils joining the small group.

Previously known as snowball71

Edited by roger1947
previously known as snowball71