Anyone go to the Gregg School in Broomhill 1952/1955?

---------- Post added 30-12-2015 at 16:40 ----------

It is now 50 years since the Gregg School closed (December 1965) . The only Gregg School left in the UK is in Southampton, it looks plush and is very expensive. A couple of years ago someone from that Gregg School won a sporting prize at the Institute of Sport Sheffield in a Schools national event !!

Happy new year to you all !

Edited by utopian

Hey Utopian, I don't know how to reply to this post, I knew Sheffield school closed mid 60s and also that Sunderland and Rankin also went bankrupt trying to revive it but all was in vain.

Hey Utopian, I don't know how to reply to this post, I knew Sheffield school closed mid 60s and also that Sunderland and Rankin also went bankrupt trying to revive it but all was in vain.

I think you mean Sutherland or Jock . i last saw him in 1966 , and I saw Rankin at the Reunion in 1999 when he was 82. The teachers were not paid for several months before the closure .

Hi late starter to the conversation,I was at Gregg from 1951 to 1955,many off the names are familiar to me,my best friends were Kieth Maples who I see mentioned here,and Daniel Greaves,and Barry Stone.I spent many hours washing Arnold's car as a detention,and when we went to lake Commo Italy on returning Mrs Arnald casually gave me a parcel to carry through customs ! Like many others I had good times and not so good but mostly positive experiences,I would be happy to hear from any of my former contemporaries.

Hi late starter to the conversation,I was at Gregg from 1951 to 1955,many off the names are familiar to me,my best friends were Kieth Maples who I see mentioned here,and Daniel Greaves,and Barry Stone.I spent many hours washing Arnold's car as a detention,and when we went to lake Commo Italy on returning Mrs Arnald casually gave me a parcel to carry through customs ! Like many others I had good times and not so good but mostly positive experiences,I would be happy to hear from any of my former contemporaries.

HI Bladerunner,

Did Barry Stone's parents run the off licence in Broomhill?. Having spent many hours on detention doing various janitorial duties, he never trusted me to wash his car!!

In reply yes Barry's family ran a off license in Broomhill area,he was a really nice lad,I was amazed when he joined the merchant navy from school,but we had a night to remember celebrating a friend's 21st in Belper when he was back,if only I could remember it !!

In reply yes Barry's family ran a off license in Broomhill area,he was a really nice lad,I was amazed when he joined the merchant navy from school,but we had a night to remember celebrating a friend's 21st in Belper when he was back,if only I could remember it !!

Yes, I recall him now. I gather you must have been around at the same time as me which was '54- '57 ?

Happy New Year to all.

Regards date at school,I was at Gregg 51 to 55,looking back I think I was in Arnold's good book as only class I enjoyed was his science class,but still got the fearsome cane "deservedly"from time to time.

I now understand you were a year above me at school and therefore you would be with Granville Dyson and Malcolm Hoyland. Don't know what happened to MH but I did see Granville in the 70s in a pub in Stocksbridge, his mother still lived in Stocksbridge at the time and he was living in the north east I think. Don't know any more about him.

1 Jan2016 - I now have information that Granville passed away several years ago.

---------- Post added 01-01-2016 at 17:38 ----------

I think you mean Sutherland or Jock . i last saw him in 1966 , and I saw Rankin at the Reunion in 1999 when he was 82. The teachers were not paid for several months before the closure .

Yes of course it's Sutherland, fingers went on the wrong keys! You were lucky to be invited on the last reunion, unfortunately I didn't know anything about it.

However, Rankin passed away several years ago but I understand that Humphries was still living last year but not his wife. I doubt any of the other teachers are still with us.

Does anyone remember Tom Marshall? If so does anyone know where he is now. He palled up with Roger Sherwood and I assume he would have been one of the pupils from 1954 to 1959.

Does anyone remember Tom Marshall? If so does anyone know where he is now. He palled up with Roger Sherwood and I assume he would have been one of the pupils from 1954 to 1959.

Although I was quite friendly with Roger, I don't recall Tom Marshall at all.