Anyone go to the Gregg School in Broomhill 1952/1955?

I started from 1953 and travelled from Brinsworth nr.Rotherham with Terry Wibberly who was a year ahead of me. I struggle to remember many names but

some of these have these have featured in other posts.

Malcolm Bowskill. Ballroom dancer and looked the part.Perfect for Strictly .

Barry Bolton was always a rather threatening figure to a weedy 8 stone wimp.

Malcolm Hoyland who came from Hoyland nr. Barnsley and I have some recollection of him joining the Marines.

James Brindley ?

The Lockwood sisters who had a dance school in Rotherham where I had some lessons and fell in love with them. Unrequited.

The one clear memory of sports was wandering round a field somewhere away from school and the only memory of swimming was when the lovely Sylvia came in the pool in a swimming costume and raised the pool temperature considerably.

Robert Godber was a friend and I visited his home somewhere near Barnsley. He became Head of Wath on Dearne Grammer / Comp. William Hague was a pupil and said that Robert was a great influence on him.

The caretaker offered us a cigarette to go and buy him Health and Efficiency magazine as he was interested in naturism! So were we so the magazine was well thumbed by the time it got to him. Took me 25 years to give up smoking.

Mrs Arnold took us for some unspecified class but as we read Wind in the Willows many many times it could have been English.

I left before taking any exams and went to work in the accounts office at Firth Brown Tools where one of the first people I met was Ian Hawley who had been in the year above me.

I do not think Gregg did me much good but little harm either.

Now live in Retford after too many years in a bank and then as a postman after an early and much welcome retirement.

My name is David Hall always shortened to Daveydall.

Private message sent, twice I think, but feel free to reply on here if you want.

Took me ages to find how to send a PM. Did you leave in 59?

I started from 1953 and travelled from Brinsworth nr.Rotherham with Terry Wibberly who was a year ahead of me. I struggle to remember many names but

some of these have these have featured in other posts.

Malcolm Bowskill. Ballroom dancer and looked the part.Perfect for Strictly .

Barry Bolton was always a rather threatening figure to a weedy 8 stone wimp.

Malcolm Hoyland who came from Hoyland nr. Barnsley and I have some recollection of him joining the Marines.

James Brindley ?

The Lockwood sisters who had a dance school in Rotherham where I had some lessons and fell in love with them. Unrequited.

The one clear memory of sports was wandering round a field somewhere away from school and the only memory of swimming was when the lovely Sylvia came in the pool in a swimming costume and raised the pool temperature considerably.

Robert Godber was a friend and I visited his home somewhere near Barnsley. He became Head of Wath on Dearne Grammer / Comp. William Hague was a pupil and said that Robert was a great influence on him.

The caretaker offered us a cigarette to go and buy him Health and Efficiency magazine as he was interested in naturism! So were we so the magazine was well thumbed by the time it got to him. Took me 25 years to give up smoking.

Mrs Arnold took us for some unspecified class but as we read Wind in the Willows many many times it could have been English.

I left before taking any exams and went to work in the accounts office at Firth Brown Tools where one of the first people I met was Ian Hawley who had been in the year above me.

I do not think Gregg did me much good but little harm either.

Now live in Retford after too many years in a bank and then as a postman after an early and much welcome retirement.

My name is David Hall always shortened to Daveydall.

Great post David, as you say Barry was a rather large lad who could look fearsome. You were obviously around at the same time as me, as I remember the Health & Efficiency mag doing the rounds at breaktime. Would you remember Roger Sherwood by the way? or the lad whose family ran a corner shop just up the road in Broomhill which is now a vet's practice?

I also thought Dave's post was very good , I 'm married to Terry Wibberlerly's cousin. I went a walk around Redford with my walking club last week, I keep fit by doing Mr. Midgeleys exercises.

Missed Roger Sherwood from my list . Yes I do remember him. Do I recall Mr. Midgley often having fly undone--more forgetfulness than deliberate.

Reading of all the awful times some children had with abuse at private schools I do not think there was ever the slightest hint at Gregg.

When first married I lived in Oughtibridge down the road from Stocksbridge and Deepcar and would have been happy to stay in that area. Much changed now as we still visit friends made there 35 years ago. Glen Howe Park an absolute treasure.

Cheers.

I now understand you were a year above me at school and therefore you would be with Granville Dyson and Malcolm Hoyland. Don't know what happened to MH but I did see Granville in the 70s in a pub in Stocksbridge, his mother still lived in Stocksbridge at the time and he was living in the north east I think. Don't know any more about him.

I came across this forum purely by chance.

My name is Peter Vaughton. I went to Greggs, starting in the 3rd. Form in 1961 and leaving after taking O Levels in the 5th.

The least said about the results, the better.

The highlight was certainly when the 5th Formers (I was in the 3rd at the time) lifted Stuart Rankin's Mini round the corner. How did he get his shoes to shine like that?

I was fascinated by the posts and the memories flooded back - I even trawled up the following names I remember from my form and others who regularly travelled together on the buses to school.

Not in any particular order, but just as I remembered them.

I may have a couple of first names wrong, as it was a very 'surname oriented time'.

Here goes:-

Chris Wade, Barbara Hitchen, Tony Ford, Barry Lawson, Viv George (male), Barry Tomms, Helen Powell, Julie Hutchins, Howard Dickens, John Jackson, John Hilton-Tapp, ? Varnes, Denise & Christine Hollins (twins), Kenneth Beresford, Val Cope (her mother was School Secretary), Bob Lenzini, Raymond Woodcraft.

I am sure that more names will spring to mind, but. I hope some will remember these.

Ron Shirt taught English. I believe he had a nervous breakdown. He was ragged something awful. On one occasion I remember he went out of the room (4th form downstairs) for a few seconds and when he came back Helen Powell's bra was on his desk. He freaked out.

Did anyone go on the school trip

trip to Middelkirk, Belgium?

Hotel Victoria. Had my first taste of Stella Artois. I think i was in 4th form.

Prefects were allowed to smoke in their Common Room - a little attic room at the top of the stairs.

I didn't like the time at school, not because it was Greggs, but I was not in a learning frame of mind at that time.

I went on to Ecclesfield. Grammar and topped up my O levels.

University wasn't for me, I joined a bank and stuck it for 34 years..

I'm sorry it all a it disjointed but it's just as I have remembered it.

I left in 59 so can't say much about your class although I knew Barbara Hitchin, I believe she now lives/lived in Thurgoland. I also remember Betty Roper the secretary. Wondered if you live at Wharncliffe Side now.

I had a private message from snowball72 but for some reason am unable to reply on that section. New boy or something. I am sure I recall the name AW and another name which has appeared is Granville Dyson. I cannot recall ever having a school photo and wonder if I feature in the one you have got. Years of joining / leaving are lost in the mists of red wine -I sometimes wish I had kept a record of these dates. If I give you my email address could you send a copy and I can perhaps add some names. Look forward to hearing from you.

I have asked before but as there are a number of new subscribers will try again. Does the name David Frascati ring a bell? I met him some time ago, he is transgender and as of Occtober works in a piano bar in Tenerife. Went to Gregg in early 60s.

Hi Snowball72. No I don't live in Wharncliffe Side now. I left in 1969 when I moved to London. I am now live in Wakefield. Thank you a very informative thread. I will keep reading with interest.

Hi my brother was Tony Ford. Sadly he died very young - in his early forties. Any memories of him would be great to hear.