Anyone go to the Gregg School in Broomhill 1952/1955?

The 11 plus system was plain rotten. You got one chance to take it and if you failed you were shunted of to a secondary modern for 4 more years then at 15 out without a diploma of any kind and just destined to become a factory worker or a shop clerk. A "wonderful" systen devised by our government to create an elite separate from the "peons"

No child should have had their futures so drastically decided at such a young age. I missed a lot of school from aged five to eight because of a chronic problem with my tonsils and never really completely caught up afterwards. The humiliation of failing the 11 Plus was another unpleasant experience that no young child should have had to experience and it burdened one with a serious inferiority complex.

My parents werent well off either. Very average middle class and they made financial sacrifices to send me with all good intentions to Greggs. Most of the other kids came from financially better off families I remember.... the sons and daughters of small shopowners or business people.

There were some pretty decent teachers at Greggs and some who were so mediocre that they could not have been accepted as teachers in the state school system.

Dickie Arnold was a pompous ass IMO. I can still see him looking down his nose at us the way he did and his wife was usually crabby by nature.

Harleyman you are so right and here we are still beating ourselves up decades later.

Mixed bag of teachers and a mixed bag of students. It seemed to me that the majority had parents who were small shopkeepers. And it wasn't til a lot later in life that i discovered how much small shopkeepers made (certainly in those days).

Still we cannot change anything and we are here - thank God.

So much anger. Chill out we are what we, are a result of all our experiences - Gregg School was a melting pot some did good some not so good but we're here and able to talk with other (then kids) who went though a similar educational experience. Lucky us.

I am not angry!!I just love to set off a debate!!!!!!

Harleyman you are so right and here we are still beating ourselves up decades later.

Mixed bag of teachers and a mixed bag of students. It seemed to me that the majority had parents who were small shopkeepers. And it wasn't til a lot later in life that i discovered how much small shopkeepers made (certainly in those days).

Still we cannot change anything and we are here - thank God.

I particularly remember one character who was a teacher for a term (circa 1953) named Mr Green. He used to do a goose step type walk to and fro in front of the class and if any student asked to be excused for a potty call he'd yell out

"Yich! With speed"

The guy kept us in stitches but he'd turn mean if he caught anyone sniggering. He lasted only one term. I guess he was too much for even Dickie to keep on permanently.

My Bete Noir was a Mrs Thompson who taught algebra at which i was as thick as a brick.

She found that out and started to single me out for the treatment and I'd stand there looking like an idiot while the class sniggered. Then she started to make remarks about my strong Sheffield accent. This went on daily for about two weeks until I completely lost it. I was pretty big for my age and I yelled out "What the blankety blank do you expect me to talk like. I live here in Sheffield on Parson Cross not bleddy Nether Edge... and the next person who sniggers will get a fat lip at break time" :hihi:

Shocked silence followed and a trip to Arnold's office. Five hefty ones with the cane on the old back side and a note to my dad.

When I told him the whole story he laughed his head off and said something like "serves the silly cow right"

That was the end of the treatment from Ms Thompson and as time went on I began to progress in the subject.

No teacher these days would single out a student for such ridicule.

Student- teacher psychology has come out of the dark ages.

Edited by Harleyman

Well Harleyman your experience at Gregg just about mirrors mine - but it would appear that inspite of it or maybe because of it, we've dun good!! have an enjoyable week-end.

Well Harleyman your experience at Gregg just about mirrors mine - but it would appear that inspite of it or maybe because of it, we've dun good!! have an enjoyable week-end.

One more tidbit to share ANNBEE. Some years ago me, the wife and kids took a trip to Sheffield with my parents.

We stopped to look at the Gregg school. By then the old school had become an annnex to the Rutland hotel across the road.

My dad said "I stayed in a room there one night two years ago on my last visit, that room next to the driveway"

I said "Hey! that's my old school room. You actually slept in my classroom"

He gave me that "deer in the headlights look".

My mom said " For heavens sake Henry dont you know your son went to that school before we moved down south"?

The penny finally dropped after a minute :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Poor old dad

Enjoy the weekend

I was at gregg between 53&58,i remember a lot of the names mentioned especially avril wright who i played tennis with at stocksbridge also granville dyson and a girl called barbara, cannot remember her surname,who i last saw in 63.I also played against hull i was in goal.does anybody remember the school trip to middelkerk in belgium.I remember mr.rankin quite well we clashed a few times but i was still invited to his house cannot remember where

Message for Harleyman.

I'm staying at the Rutland next month - will say hello to the old building for you - maybe I'll get to stay in my old classroom.

It would appear that our dear old school has been converted to apartments!

Message for BILLHALEY,my name is pete torry and i also went to see bill haley i vaguely remember we went in a small group so i assume you are the one who bought our tickets.Two more names i have recalled a boy named kershaw,andy i think,and julie widdowson.I am afraid i cannot work out who you are from your user names.wendy harris i remember since she held a nice boozy party and i think she lived in millhouses

Message for BILLHALEY,my name is pete torry and i also went to see bill haley i vaguely remember we went in a small group so i assume you are the one who bought our tickets.Two more names i have recalled a boy named kershaw,andy i think,and julie widdowson.I am afraid i cannot work out who you are from your user names.wendy harris i remember since she held a nice boozy party and i think she lived in millhouses

I should think that every boy at the school in those days will remember Wendy Harris!!!(she was a bit on the athletic side!).no offence intended

I should think that every boy at the school in those days will remember Wendy Harris!!!(she was a bit on the athletic side!).no offence intended

Oh yes indeed!!!