Anyone go to the Gregg School in Broomhill 1952/1955?

Do you remember a boy called Fred. Think his dad was a bank manager lived somewhere between Western Park and Crookes.

You must have been in the year ahead of me. Do you remember the buxom girl the boys all druled over. A probation officer who would have thought it. Still better than the report that he'd had a sex change and called himself Rita.!!!

Might have been Pamela Tinker who was very popular with the lads.

I left at the end of term 1955 when we moved to Sussex. I was enrolled at the Gregg school in Croydon, London, much against my will. That school made Greggs Sheffield look like Harvard University.:hihi:... it was an absolute dump and I only stayed one year then left to start work.

Cant believe Storrie would have had a sex change...... surely someone was spreading rumours. His brother mentioned in his E-Mail that Richard was the father of five no less.

Storrie and I were caught passing notes during an exam and hauled before Arnold who gave us five hours detention. We were made to work in that garden in front of the school (now a parking lot for the hotel).

Rankin was the best of the bunch in my opinion. I was in contact about six years ago with a lady who now lives 15 miles from me. She said that she had attended a reunion and Rankin was there and still very much alive happy to say.

Edited by Harleyman

Do you remember a boy called Fred. Think his dad was a bank manager lived somewhere between Western Park and Crookes.

Cant say I remember a Fred. Some class names I do remember

Peter Snell

Barry Bolton

Raymond Blackburn

Margaret Fisher

Eileen Ellis

Terry Wibberley

A guy called MacWilliam who was a mate of mine but cant remember his first name

Anne Chapel or Chapelle

I remember a Barry and Eileen Ellis was a really nice girl i do believe that her parents had a newsagents shop at the begining of Crookes.

A guy with longish dark hair well brylcreemed always fooling about and laughing.

Did Barry have a taned or ruddy face?

I remember a Barry and Eileen Ellis was a really nice girl i do believe that her parents had a newsagents shop at the begining of Crookes.

A guy with longish dark hair well brylcreemed always fooling about and laughing.

Did Barry have a taned or ruddy face?

That might have been Keith Maples ? Does he ring a bell? He used to plaster his hair with brycreem and had an adoring girlfriend Helen Bywater.

Then there was a guy named Roger Newton who smoked like a chimney. He showed us a real nice silver cigarette case his mother had bought him for Christmas and here we all were, barely 15 years old. Can you believe that?

I can vaguely remember Barry Bolton's face but nothing else.

There was another girl called Anne, wore glasses and had a Russian sounding name. Her dad used to drop her off at school in a big new Studebaker car which was an object of great interest to us

Other great objects of interest to us boys were Sylvia Watson, a very glamorous young blond teacher and Jessica Arnold, Dickie's daughter, a fine looking young woman also.

I agree, even as a youngster I suspected Arnold wasnt what he purported to be. My situation was, I guess unusual, I had been at a normal secondary modern and was thoroughly enjoying it when my parents disappeared, I was fostered by relatives in the Sheffield area and they sent me to Gregg at some expense to give me what they thought was a good start.

Due possibly to my circumstances I was somewhat disruptive and left after a year. I went back to a "normal" secondary school and settled in pretty well. Although I must say one of the best days of my life was the day I left school altogether.

I rest my case!!!!!!

I rest my case!!!!!!

Really, I didnt realise you had made one.

Really, I didnt realise you had made one.

you obviously gained nothing from the attempts to educate you.the words from your own keyboard include..."disruptive and left after a year are rather damming!!!!!!!Those of us who were prepared to knuckle down after the "shame" of failing the 11 plus exams were able with the help of MR.S.Rankin,Mrs.Humphries and others to move forward and gain from the experience.I speak for the classes that were not concerned with RSA and other commercial education.We were not angels but we did have respect for those who were in charge!Unlike the rabble of today,who have no respect for any body/thing and who will kill society as we know it.I have no idea who you are,where you now live,your age or indeed your mental health...if you were to read the history of The Gregg School (Sheffield)Ltd you might gain some insight as to how things were done in those days.School days were and still should be the happiest days of your life...!!!!!!!!!

Edited by dsweetman
bad temper!

So much anger. Chill out we are what we, are a result of all our experiences - Gregg School was a melting pot some did good some not so good but we're here and able to talk with other (then kids) who went though a similar educational experience. Lucky us.

I'd love to read a history of the school. Where can I find it. And what was wrong with the kids who were there for the RSA - its education after all.

you obviously gained nothing from the attempts to educate you.the words from your own keyboard include..."disruptive and left after a year are rather damming!!!!!!!Those of us who were prepared to knuckle down after the "shame" of failing the 11 plus exams were able with the help of MR.S.Rankin,Mrs.Humphries and others to move forward and gain from the experience.I speak for the classes that were not concerned with RSA and other commercial education.We were not angels but we did have respect for those who were in charge!Unlike the rabble of today,who have no respect for any body/thing and who will kill society as we know it.I have no idea who you are,where you now live,your age or indeed your mental health...if you were to read the history of The Gregg School (Sheffield)Ltd you might gain some insight as to how things were done in those days.School days were and still should be the happiest days of your life...!!!!!!!!!

Settle down dear, its only a conversation.

My point was and still is that, compared to other schools I attended I found Gregg to be poor, my question was did anyone who attended the place ever acheive anything. This was not meant as an insult it merely sought to discover whether or not the teaching standards empowered students to benefit and move upwards. You kindly pointed out to me that one student had been Lord Mayor of Sheffield for a year and another one apparently managed a successfull ladies hairdressers business.

I contrasted this to Wath Comprehensive (merely as an example) where, during an equivalent period that school produced pupils whe attaind significantly more.

As regards "how things were done in those days" I am perfectly aware of how things were done, I was there.

My personal experience of the educational system generally was clearly different to yours. I did not enjoy it. I was glad when I left.

Sorry if this upsets you but there it is.

Incidentally, I work with a lot of young people these days. I do not find them a rabble, I find them inspirational, kind and far more tolerant of diversity than my generation were, they will not destroy society they will create a better one.

So much anger. Chill out we are what we, are a result of all our experiences - Gregg School was a melting pot some did good some not so good but we're here and able to talk with other (then kids) who went though a similar educational experience. Lucky us.

Well said, I hope I have not given the impression of being in any way angry. I merely sought to express my impression of what was, for me, a very miserable experience.

If this angers other people I regret that but this is a Forum, where better to express contrasting view and opinions?