Belly/Egyptian dancing

Glad to hear that I come recommended!

Thought I would put some details about the class on here so everyone can see - Maz, I will drop you an email (later when I am not at work) with directions to the venue, anyone else who needs directions, just pm me to let me know

The Thursday class is at the Memorial Hall, on Forbes Road/bottom of Walkley Lane, behind the Deep End at Hillsboro. Technically it runs 7-8pm, but in practise it is more like 7.10-8.10, as we give the Badminton club before us a bit of time to clear up. Classes cost £5 for a 'one off' or £4 if you book a block of 6. There is no need to book in advance, you can just turn up on the night and it is not a course, so you can start at any time.

The class is 'Open Level' which means suitable for different levels of experience - I have quite a few complete beginners and a few who have been coming for over a year and all sorts in between. I teach the basics of the moves then add more complicated variations for the experienced dancers and everyone can work at the level at which they are happy - I try and give everyone a bit of personal attention and feedback during the class too. We tend to revisit moves every few lessons, so you can build on technique - or if you have just started you will always get to pick up the basics within a few lessons.

As well as learning moves I also teach choreographies so you can put them into practise within a dance routine, make time for groups of students to put together their own combinations of moves and to improvise freely.

Although generally this is a fairly low impact form of excersise, you can find yourself working quite hard in a class - and one of the main aims is to have fun (have a giggle while you wiggle - cheesy, I know!).

What to wear is entirely up to you and what you are comfortable in, I prefer bare feet, but soft shoes are fine. A lot of dancers like to wear long full skirts and hip scarves, but there are also plenty who stick to leggings/tracksuits and T Shirts. Getting your belly out is optional.

Hope this is all useful info and I look forward to seeing you in class!

Hi

did anyone have any luck with these classes?

well I had quite a batch of beginners last Thursday, although I had a few phone queries last week as well so they might have come from those - no-one owned up to being a forummer..

Ho folks,

is there any indian dance classes here in sheffield ? I have tried several gyms but nowdody seems to ever have heard about it. Would also be interested in Flamenco.

Please help me.

Thanks Dey.

Hiya,

I teach Bollywood (and Bhangra) classes in Sheffield. There is a weekly class on Sunday afternoons (info on http://www.everydance.co.uk), and a new class on Monday evenings (8-9pm) beginning on 14th May (info not yet up on website). It's at Sam Jones Health Club, near Crystal Peaks shopping centre. Places limited so you need to contact me at info@everydance.co.uk or phone 01909-566831. (Class runs for 6 weeks - except for bank hol Monday - but may be extended if there is enough demand.

Sheena

Good to see something at Crystal peaks!

Sheena> do you do any belly dance classes in the south of the city - most of them seem to be in the North (Hillsboro/Walkley/Crookes) area!

I saw your post in the other thread about the introductory workshop at Goodwin Sports Centre on May 19th - sounds good for those who want to have a go

Of course if anyone can't wait that long, there is my class tonight (Thursday) at the Memorial Hall in Hillsboro, 7.15pm

Cheers

Cis

Good to see something at Crystal peaks!

Sheena> do you do any belly dance classes in the south of the city - most of them seem to be in the North (Hillsboro/Walkley/Crookes) area!

I saw your post in the other thread about the introductory workshop at Goodwin Sports Centre on May 19th - sounds good for those who want to have a go

Of course if anyone can't wait that long, there is my class tonight (Thursday) at the Memorial Hall in Hillsboro, 7.15pm

Cheers

Cis

Hiya, Cis,

I don't run weekly bellydance classes, but will be teaching private lessons in Anston (S25) during the summer. Would you let me know about your classes so that I can tell people who ask and also come along and have some fun myself when I manage to grab the time? Ta.

Sheena

They do Belly Dancing at Hillsborough Leisure Centre on Penistone Road. The Missus goes on Wednesday nights.

Hillsboro Leisure Centre class is on Tuesday nights - I know because I teach it !!

7-8 pm Tuesday, but you need to ring the Leisure Centre first thing Monday morning to book a place.

The other class I do is Thursdays - see details in previous post.

Theres also a class on Thursdays at the Crookesmoor community centre with Lianne

Wednesday nights (and also Mondays) would be Konnie at the Max Fitness Centre on Walkley.

see what I mean about them all being in the one area! - The only class I know in the South of the city is the Boomshanka Tribal class, at the Hartley Street project on Thursday, but I think they may be full at the moment!

Belly dancing sounds like fun. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I teach classes in Meersbrook on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

There are spaces on Wednesdays if you would like to come.

Please see our website

http://www.boomshankatribal.org

and/or email me at

boomshankatribal@yahoo.co.uk

We are also having a Hafla on 17th November if you want to find out what we are all about! Get in touch and I will tell you more about it.

x Happy wiggling

Ruth

Boomshanka :)

Bollywood dance at Tinsley Forum starts next week I think. Also belly dance at Whiteways school

has anyone been to the belly dance class on tuesday and thursday with cis if not try it out she is brill i would still be going but unfortunately i moved doen south much to my dismay go along and see for yourselves