Carling Academy Sheffield

does anyone know what time the doors open on sunday. All i can see on the website for the human league gig is 7pm-11pm. Does this mean the support comes on at 7pm or the venue opens then?

Well....none of us were singing Bradford City's burning down, and none of us got kicked out, and suprisngly none of us were accused of touching anyone up. But one of my friends did get punched for jumping around for toddla T and roots manva, so maybe your not talking about my group of friends. And the reason i was objecting to what you were saying was because i thought you were complaining about us enjoying ourselves a bit too much, which we may have been, but no1 sang in the middle of reverend. I was the first person at the front standing and singing, i was the first crowdsurfer that night and i was the first person next to reverend after the gig outside the crucible. So whether you can accuse me and or not of being a bit drunk and loud is debatable, but you cant argue that i wasnt there for the music. You said yourself you dont even like R&TM that much, I think you were likely to be talking about a different group cos we're not the sort to be singing Bradofrd is burning down or whatever, but we were chanting songs before REverend came on, and i will do tommorow when i see dead world leaders and the magi, and on saturday when i see Little man tate, and when i go to paul weller and billy bragg, and milburn , and the courteeners and leeds festival.....

i imagine your one of those who consider themselves a proper music lover, but can't look back to when you really loved music and appreciated every live act you saw. Because it's about expressing yourself, not being a mute, i enjoyed reverend and I'll continue enjoying gigs in the future - and untill you can see my reasoning - i hope people like me and my freinds **** you off more and more.

Well, if your lot weren't groping lasses, weren't chanting footy songs during Reverend and none of you got kicked out, you obviously weren't the group I was talking about. Think about it!:loopy:

So, unfortunately for you, it wouldn't have been your lot who ****** me off as you so hoped.

So by your reckoning, the fact I like to get near the front, like to mosh, like to sing and generally embrace the gig BUT don't like to be surrounded by a group of ***** means I don't really love and appreciate music? Can't understand your logic.

And does your list of the bands your going to see mean anything to me? What is it supposed to be getting at? That you must be a REAL gig lover cos you've got a couple of gigs to go to?

Going tonight (sat) for the first time - missed a few i'd have liked to have seen this week but looking forward to see The Dodgems and Headliners et al tonight. Can't wait to see inside. Will post my opinions tomorrow. :D

Well, if your lot weren't groping lasses, weren't chanting footy songs during Reverend and none of you got kicked out, you obviously weren't the group I was talking about. Think about it!:loopy:

So, unfortunately for you, it wouldn't have been your lot who ****** me off as you so hoped.

So by your reckoning, the fact I like to get near the front, like to mosh, like to sing and generally embrace the gig BUT don't like to be surrounded by a group of ***** means I don't really love and appreciate music? Can't understand your logic.

And does your list of the bands your going to see mean anything to me? What is it supposed to be getting at? That you must be a REAL gig lover cos you've got a couple of gigs to go to?

Well mate you manage to sound as witty as Chubby Brown...but i think he'd be able to build as slightly better argument than you. You twisted everytihng i said.

Just come back from seeing Little Man Tate which was ace. Good band and good atmosphere! But I've gone through too much money on drinks. Not good.

As for the seating issue, I'm correcting myself - there's seating at the back (behind a bar) and I believe I saw some along the wall upstairs on the balcony...

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Also, is it just me or did only 2 support acts play, despite about 4 or 5 supposed to be playing? We got there about 7.30 and one was playing so fair enough one could have been on before, but still not all of them were on were there?

Is it just me that's a bit disappointed they've not done more with the outside of the building?

Fair enough, nice sign and all that but the cladding looks shabby. Could it not have had a lick of paint? And why did no one think to remove that bloody Dalton Roofing plaque?

I've not been to a gig there yet so can't comment on the interior but the positive comments in this thread bode well.

Our feeling exactly. Every time me and other half go past it, we can't help think they could have made the outside a bit more inviting. A lick of pain would have been great.

But I suppose if it's great inside, that's alright then.

does anyone know what time the doors open on sunday. All i can see on the website for the human league gig is 7pm-11pm. Does this mean the support comes on at 7pm or the venue opens then?

Furthermore, does anyone know if 11pm is the true finishing time for the gig (seems a bit late for a Sunday gig.

Of better still, does anyone on here actually have a phone number for the venue. All their website offers is a 0905 number which doesn't give such info :-(

Just come back from seeing Little Man Tate which was ace. Good band and good atmosphere! But I've gone through too much money on drinks. Not good.

As for the seating issue, I'm correcting myself - there's seating at the back (behind a bar) and I believe I saw some along the wall upstairs on the balcony...

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Also, is it just me or did only 2 support acts play, despite about 4 or 5 supposed to be playing? We got there about 7.30 and one was playing so fair enough one could have been on before, but still not all of them were on were there?[/QUOTE]

Hi Gemma,

Thank God it wasn't only me that made this HUGE schoolboy error! I know one of the Dodgems and had exchanged texts before going and just to wish him luck before going on stage.

We too arrived during the Headliners set (who were blooming brilliant as always lads!) thought we'd missed Bohemian mods. We then stood there waiting for Alvarez Kings (my mate's favourite sheff band) and then Wallbirds came on (who i also thought were great though not heard before) so we thought it might have been going out of order and we'd missed two.

Chris Dodgem had told me they were on at 9:15 and so waited that really long wait, then we noticed that the microphone had been set up really high. I texted Chris to see what was going off (hey what's up? are you all ok?) , no reply, eventually he replies, whadda mean? I'm sound ???

I said why aren't you on then? He replies We've just played???? I say I'm confused? He says upstairs! Apparently the two stages were used. DOH!!!!! I'd gone primarily for Headliners, Alvarez Kings and The Dodgems so was well miffed.

Matt, I know you'll probably read this so I just think the signage could have been better or announcements made. With it being a new venue, a lot of people i bet didn't know this.

My overall thoughts? Brilliant venue, can see the stage right at the back. Loads of bars, brings back (hazy) memories still and i don't think it's tried too hard to change the ambience of the place, love the red velvet curtain and the school hall bouncy floor!

Tiny gripe...One of the bouncers was a bit brisk with me when i got in the wrong queue with my email... "What's this? Where's your ticket?" said in a bit of a sarky voice and holding it like he was going to rip it up and I was completely stupid. Then he went "what's all this about?" to his colleague who was much nicer so i had to go to the other desk. (Tall slimmer than usual thirty something bouncer with a beard needs staff training). It was a pain to then go back AGAIN to the original queue to get my ticket scanned. Surely this could be done at the email desk?

Crowd were proper little man tate lovers although there were some complete tank heads in who were trying to cause trouble and i saw a couple of small ruckoffs, one bloke hit a clearly young and smaller teenager round the head which wasn't called for. But generally it was a good night and i will be back... finding out what's happening stagewise first!

i went last night good venue but yeah a few teething problems-

went with my printed ticket took 3 members of staff to sort it none had seen anything like it and didnt know what to do.

in the end they said they weren't the proper tickets (although it says this is your ticket on it) but gave us some guest pass's to get in.

as for the different stages lucky i bumped into a mate who told me what the crack was.

they should have least announced who each band were as they came on.

bit surprised they only served beer from cans and then charged you for a four pack..(the cans not the price)

one final thing, the hot water in the gents was that hot you could'nt put your hand under it..

but all in all a top gig and a good venue which can only get better.

Hi Gemma,

Thank God it wasn't only me that made this HUGE schoolboy error! I know one of the Dodgems and had exchanged texts before going and just to wish him luck before going on stage.

We too arrived during the Headliners set (who were blooming brilliant as always lads!) thought we'd missed Bohemian mods. We then stood there waiting for Alvarez Kings (my mate's favourite sheff band) and then Wallbirds came on (who i also thought were great though not heard before) so we thought it might have been going out of order and we'd missed two.

Chris Dodgem had told me they were on at 9:15 and so waited that really long wait, then we noticed that the microphone had been set up really high. I texted Chris to see what was going off (hey what's up? are you all ok?) , no reply, eventually he replies, whadda mean? I'm sound ???

I said why aren't you on then? He replies We've just played???? I say I'm confused? He says upstairs! Apparently the two stages were used. DOH!!!!! I'd gone primarily for Headliners, Alvarez Kings and The Dodgems so was well miffed.

Matt, I know you'll probably read this so I just think the signage could have been better or announcements made. With it being a new venue, a lot of people i bet didn't know this.

Tiny gripe...One of the bouncers was a bit brisk with me when i got in the wrong queue with my email... "What's this? Where's your ticket?" said in a bit of a sarky voice and holding it like he was going to rip it up and I was completely stupid. Then he went "what's all this about?" to his colleague who was much nicer so i had to go to the other desk. (Tall slimmer than usual thirty something bouncer with a beard needs staff training). It was a pain to then go back AGAIN to the original queue to get my ticket scanned. Surely this could be done at the email desk?

Aw that's a shame you missing out on seeing your mates! It definitely could have been better signed because I didn't have a clue at all till I read the other thread on here about it.I was quite looking forward to seeing the Dodgems as well :( Glad to have seen the Wallbirds though because I saw them supporting Reverend the other month in Barnsley and they were great then.

And I agree with you about the staff with the tickets - when we went for Reverend last week, they checked our tickets and sent us towards 2 queues, either side of the railing down the middle of the steps. I said at the time, is there a point to there being 2 queues. We joined one, and then the bloke at the top sent the people at the front round to the other queue and said really aggressive "this queue is for balcony. Check your tickets it's written on it", kind of like everyone who'd joined that queue was being thick, but there was no sign to say one queue was for balcony and the other was for floor. Obviously we didn't have that problem last night being allowed to roam free lol don't know how they treated people tonight with it...

On another note - just come back from seeing the Human League which I've enjoyed the most out of the 3 gigs I've been to this week. I find it incredible to finally have seen a band so close up that I've been listening to for 10 years and have been making music for so long lol So I've had a good old dance and got some pictures I'm rather proud of and that make up for my crappy seats at the City Hall last year. Again, the sound was great in the place and there was a pretty good atmosphere of proper fans there, I believe some people had travelled from all over the country and even Europe to be there tonight. And I like my new tshirt lol

Shame about Phil tripping over, although it did make me giggle :lol:

Tonight at the Academy is the Support Acts from Carling...

5 local bands on the Opening Night of Carling Academy 2...

Doors at 7pm

£5 a ticket on the doors..

bands are:

Tiananmen

Shot Dead

The Magi

Vegas Child

Silent Film Project

I went to that, Shot Dead are my friends band.

Thought it was a good night but the drinks prices are a bit steep! Then again they have to be to keep them so low on club nights i suppose.

Went to see The Human League at the new Carling Academy on Sunday.

Firstly the band were absolutely superb as usual, and the venue, well i can only say what a new lease of life it will bring to both the old Roxy and that part of town.

Anyone who spent time in the old Roxy will feel a wave of nostalgia as they go in. The layout is exactly the same but had a fine renovation and should be there for years to come.

Many a good night have been had in Roxy and there should be more to come.

Roxy in spirit lives on !!!