Flower Estate, what went on?

garry i got our barry on here today so im surew he wil raise his head on thsi thread soon lol.

Nice one carol.the more we have the better

and the fire stories i remember them there was one on next block,on daffodil, other side of gennel where bycrofts lived the dad died i think he went back in to save the dog. and the fire brigade were on strike at the time and green goddeses had to come so didnt get there for awhile .

God I remember watching that from my bedroom window

i dont know if u thinking of his dad cos as he was also called ron from what i hear he was a lovely man

Hi all I'm carols bother Barry I'm seconded eldest I was at shiregreen middle school From 1965 to 1972 I remember Mr Priestley he was nasty he kicked a kid out of his class with his Dr martins shoes kid was taken to hospital with a gashed head as he hit the cupboards outside the class room.

Our Dave went to school same time a peter Lawton our cousin and his brother Gordan there was also john to.

we move into number 38 daffodil rd in 1964 after the bad winter of 63 because our old house caught fire in the chimney and we moved next door to my mum's brother Jeff Lawton.

We had a great childhood with as our carol has said we played in the woods of wincobank hill a old roman fort a hall was built on there later on but had go into ruin in the 60's.

Our life was fun lots of kids to play with and at times fight with to the fovringills was one such family the wake's and stanley's where our friends we always had a house full as carol said we lost our mum to pneumonia so as dad was working we had a house keeper payed by the council to get us ready for school.

we had good time around wit-son tide were we got dress in our best clothes them go around the house showing the off and getting money.

it was a great time i left in 1981 or 82 my sister's stay there when my dad remarried it wasn't a good time for them our Dave still live on primrose ave and if the person doing research on the estate wants to send contact details I will forward the to him he is on the tenants association.

hi brinsworth and Ellie2003 it's barry green here. i remember your dad ellie is he still with us hope he is well.

hi barry im rons wife just use my daughters name as a screen name rons is fine though thanks 4 asking

Nuttycow 13,it was the eldest son of wildgoose who was the brother of shiela wildgoose. He went back into the house to rescue the dog but didnt make it back out. I know because I lived next door Bycrofts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirstenswift

thank you so much, Kirsten x

Hi Kirsten.i was born in no 2 Clematis road.My dad was Ken Stanley.i had an uncle George who died young uncle Percy who lived in Kimberworth rotherham.he died around i think 98 or 99.my dad ken died sept 99.alice lived on Chesterfield road for many a year.think Lily lived at Hackenthorpe.Jean lives or did in whiteways road Grimesthorpe.my mums still alive she knows everthing as mothers do.If you need further help just get in touch at garry_stanley@hotmail.com.whats your link to the family if you dont mind me asking.cheers Garry

Hi

My grandmother was Alice.

Kirsten

I lived on Clematis Road in the 50's but can't remember the number.

I haven't lived in Sheffield for over 30 years.

As we went back there last year for a wedding, I decided I'd like to have a look at Clematis Road, not having been back there since the 50's.

How sad - couldn't get near it. It looked like all the houses and been demolished and all I could see was piles of earth.

I lived on Clematis Road in the 50's but can't remember the number.

I haven't lived in Sheffield for over 30 years.

As we went back there last year for a wedding, I decided I'd like to have a look at Clematis Road, not having been back there since the 50's.

How sad - couldn't get near it. It looked like all the houses and been demolished and all I could see was piles of earth.

I went past a couple of weeks ago to see where my great grandparents lived, they lived at No 2 Clematis Road, which if you look on Google Earth was one of the last houses to be demolished.

Hi ya bigbaz5 its david here. seems like you me and carol are making good use of sheffield forum history. You can usualy find me Seekergreen on page 5 of the history site. ps it was uncle jess and auntie elsie who lived next door on daffodil. uncle jeff was dads pet name for uncle arthur green. Hope this message finds both you and carol well.

One Daffodil Road resident I went to school with was Elaine Hunt, who was a right rum lass! She was little and blonde and as brave as a lion. I remember her at primary school; she knew all the swear words and how to use them.

I think she knew all about sex too, and I remember being dragged up onto Wincobank Hill by three girl friends, and reluctantly finding myself in a snogging activity. The other girls paired off gradually with other boys, and each pair were sent under a jacket to snog. To my horror I was paired off with Howard. I did not 'fancy' Howard, and he probably felt the same about me and I didn't want to do the snogging. I recall the activity as a slobbery, slimy experience. It put me off boys for a while, so maybe they did me a favour, because the other girls seemed to become 'unmarried mothers' not many years after, and I lasted until 31 to have my children! We were all about 11 at snogging time.

Elaine used to give us hours of entertainment. I reckon the Hunt family lived at number 76. Those houses were decent enough, but Elaine's family were probably less fussy than mine, and I used to be surprised at how different her home was. Our beds were made properly with sheets, blankets and eiderdown on top, and my mother made the beds every morning. Elaine's bed was a mish-mass of blankets, bless her, and not very clean. My father always refused to let me sleep at her house, to my relief, I must admit. I always knew that when I asked my dad, I was safe, because his answer would always be 'No'.

She was the youngest of four in the family; she had a brother Mick who 'had to get married', and had his own home. She had a sister Dot who 'had to get married' and also had her own home. She had another brother Graham who was the same age as my older sister and was known to be rather too fond of 'wheels', especially other people's wheels. The Police found young Graham in possession of the remnants of a scooter which belonged to Yat, a friend of my brother. Yat was upset at the theft, he really couldn't understand it at all, especially since the scooter had been taken apart and was unusable.

I still think her family was so much more interesting than mine, but I preferred my upbringing to hers. I do hope she's okay. Last time I saw her, she was sitting on the number 4 bus from Shiregreen into Sheffield. We must have been 18 years old - I was on my way to catch a bus or train back to teaching college in Nottingham, and Elaine was laughing her head off as usual, saying 'I'm f***ing pregnant, aren't I!" I suppose I'm surprised that she had lasted that long!

I do hope their family don't mind me writing their story on here; I'd love to know what happened to them. I don't think her mother was ever very healthy, she was small and quite chubby, and I think had breathing problems. On one occasion when I went to Elaine's house, she said they had left a can of hairspray on the mantlepiece over a roaring fire, and the can had exploded and set fire to every item in reach! I thought this was truly exciting!