Flower Estate, what went on?

It was a Robert Mayor whom i hanged around with.

Yeah it is the same ones, Roberts my cousin.

I grew up in woodseats but was born in Wincobank (Barrow Road), my Grandad Eric and Nanan Gladys and most of family lived on daffodil (Myers) and i remember it all like yesterday. The stories are all true about neighbours lookin out for each other. To Carol Green i know your Bob, he's a good friend of my dad and my aunts and uncles. i fondly remember going out on the back fields walking the dog with my uncle. I was only a young lad of about 8 or 9 but i have great memories of the Flower estate. Its sad to see the road as it is now and thinking back to how it used to be. My dad wants wants to Know if anyone remembers the brickyard that used to be on the field at the back of what used to be the Roman Ridge????

Thanks to all for making me think back to happy times.

I lived on the Flower Estate from birth 1950 and even though most people didn't have a great deal of money there was a great community spirit. We didn't have all the little toe rags who thought they should rob and annoy their neighbors all the time or make the place a massive slum. Most of us went to Shiregreen School and were subject to fairly high standards there and if we got into trouble out of school we would get punished by the school and our parents. Things changed eventually and the estate seemed to have a lot of people move in who thought that the world owed them a living and that they were above the law and that they could run the area down to their level. Next thing demolition, some rebuilding now a big building site and a bloody good community scattered and some of it lost.

I remember a John Myers who used to live at the top end of Daffodil Road , He had a younger brother i think his name is Robert . I remember the Brickyard and the ponds that were in the quarry behind it , it was full of frogs, newts and sticklebacks and during the summer we used to swim in it !.

my dad is john myers who lived on the bend at the top of daffdil road, he has 5 brothers and 3 sisters but i think the Robert you are thinking of is called Mayor not Myers. He was telling me about collecting frogs and newts as a kid from in the old brickyard...

I grew up in woodseats but was born in Wincobank (Barrow Road), my Grandad Eric and Nanan Gladys and most of family lived on daffodil (Myers) and i remember it all like yesterday. The stories are all true about neighbours lookin out for each other. To Carol Green i know your Bob, he's a good friend of my dad and my aunts and uncles. i fondly remember going out on the back fields walking the dog with my uncle. I was only a young lad of about 8 or 9 but i have great memories of the Flower estate. Its sad to see the road as it is now and thinking back to how it used to be. My dad wants wants to Know if anyone remembers the brickyard that used to be on the field at the back of what used to be the Roman Ridge????

Thanks to all for making me think back to happy times.

hiya i remember gladys myers she had a sister further round daffodil and one that married into the walkers everlyn i think ? Danny myers went out with vicky suiter and had kids, were still together last time i heard but that was quite a while ago.

Gladys was my nan, Danny is my dads younger brother who is still with vicky, his other brothers are steve, jamie, glen, and mark is sisters are lindsey, pamela and andrea. i am one of probably 25ish grandkids. I have lots of good memories from the time i spent on the flower estate in the good old days...

Yeah it is the same ones, Roberts my cousin.

You will have to ask him if he remembers me (mark) who lived at number 3 & would you tell him i've been asking about him please,many thanks.

You will have to ask him if he remembers me (mark) who lived at number 3 & would you tell him i've been asking about him please,many thanks.

Yeah will do:)

Carol , I think i used to go to Stannington College with your David .We were training to be motor mechanics , i think he was working at Gilders at the time (1970 ish). Whats he doing now ?.

yes thats our david i was with him last week at a family funeral. hes doing ok hes working at tescos on infirmary road you will find him on the desk there i will tell him you was asking after him if you give me ya name.

hiya carol

i used to live there as well gail bilton 57 daffodil right on top, got 2 brother gary n mark. lived next door to beryl turver then the hells angels, then the flints. I remember u loosing your mum when we were at school, also remember gaynor n lisa u lived in house next to gennel . I agree with you it was good times , we lived there 18 year and never had no trouble. my mum n dad only moved off just before they were going to get knocked down and moved onto shiregreen. i can also remember the park on wincobank hill where we used to play.

hiya gail yes i remember you i was with all the family last week was telling them about this site, it brings back all the memorys.

Who were the Hells Angels?

we lived at 38 and a hells agels family moved in next door they was ok never any bother but partying in the garden used to anoy our bob so he went and told them and we never heard any noise from them again but they was a nice family.