Flower Estate, what went on?

Hello

Can anyone fill me in on any recent history about the Flower Estate? I have heard that there were a couple of famillies that used to 'own' the estate, I'm trying to find out more about the last ten years or so. Does anyone know what happened to them, and what happened to all the people who lived in the houses that were demolished?

Thanks

really, sounds interesting, do you know any more?

there have been many families, most large, on the flower estate over the years, wakes, woodwards, robinsons, smiths, and many more.

what you interested in the estate for ? book, project, etc this sounds interesting

I'm an artist interested in the proposal to produce work for the hoardings that are going to surround the building site for the next 18 months. The funders want to work with local communities to produce stuff, so I'm just trying to find out a bit more.

I'm an artist interested in the proposal to produce work for the hoardings that are going to surround the building site for the next 18 months. The funders want to work with local communities to produce stuff, so I'm just trying to find out a bit more.

Have you tried going to the local schools or finding out if there are any local groups. I'm sure they still use one of the houses as a drop in centre.

Hello

Can anyone fill me in on any recent history about the Flower Estate? I have heard that there were a couple of famillies that used to 'own' the estate, I'm trying to find out more about the last ten years or so. Does anyone know what happened to them, and what happened to all the people who lived in the houses that were demolished?

Thanks

i think i can fill you in on some things about the flower estate my mother was born there fifty od years ago so did my nan till her death four years ago their was nothing sinister going on in fact my mother had a very happy childhood at the moment as you know new homes are being built but something quite interesting has been uncovered aseventeenth century building called wincobank hall we were made aware of this hall by a book written by brian woodriff it will answer a lot of your questions i hope this helps you

Hello

Thanks

I grew up on the flower estate and it did get really rough and tough in the late 70's and 80's. According to my parents (my mom lived on there from being a child) the estate was a nice place to live with a good community spirit until the slum clearances of the late 60's and 70's came along. This brought in a lot of problem families which were normally large in numbers. In my time there, I saw the place really deteriorate with certain families interbreeding and causing grief for the others. There were, however, quite a number of decent folk living on the 'flower' and people do tend to overlook this when scrutinising similar estates. Having said that, it was a joyous occasion when I eventually uprooted and left the decay.

If you want to pm me I can let you know a bit more, I think it's a little insensitive to bandy names around on a forum.

My Dad was one of 18 living in a 2 up 2 down on Primrose Avenue but we're going back about 40-50 yrs!

i was one of those big familys liveing on daffodil road my family was probley one of the first to get a house on there. i loved it as a child growing up there i lost my mum when i was 6 so it was hard for my dad bringing 7 children up but he managed it. it was a great place to bring familys up we all grew up together because there was alot of big familys and they lived there all there lifes to it wasnt a case of shoveing big familys from troubled areas. may be 10 years ago yes but not back then we played on winkobank hill all the time many of fun hours my oldest brother still lives in the area and im sure he could be a big help to you to. as for the church wasnt all churches haunted to us kids even thou i belived it at the time i use to go to sunday school there we did all the shows nativity plays we used to go up in the loft area thats where we felt scared we kept all the props up there.