Sad Films / Films that make you cry

Do you cry to a sad film?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you cry to a sad film?

• I am female and I cry to a sad film
    • I am female and I never cry to a sad film
    • I am male and I cry to a sad film
    • I am male and I never cry to a sad film

Thought I would drag this thread back up. Just spent my lunch reading through and there are some good films suggested, but here are the films that I can remember actually making my eyes a bit moist.

Some films have already been mentioned:

Angels with Dirty Faces

Imitation Of Life

The Notebook

Wonderful Life

Dancer In The Dark

To Kill a Mockingbird

Big Fish

And some that have not:

Bridge to Terabithia – if you’ve seen it you’ll know why, not so much sad but more like an actual personal bereavement. Mark Kermode in his film review programme got letters from parents that complained it was so traumatic they had to take their kids out of the cinema.

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest - Chief Bromden smothers Nicholson and escapes.

Stella Dallas – When Barbara Stanwyck has to watch her daughter’s marriage through a window, from outside, in the pouring rain.

Von Ryan’s Express – I was young when I watched it, but remember sobbing when Frank got it.

Little Princess – when the father can’t remember her, or can he?

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid – the end, the final picture, the music, and the fact that you just love the two characters. Sob. RIP Paul Newman.

Random Harvest – preposterous story, but the best romantic tearjerker ever. If you’ve not seen it watch it now!

Last of the Mohicans – "I will find you"

E’Lollipop – South African film set in the apartheid year of 1976 about a beautiful friendship that develops between a black boy and a white boy. The last scene has stayed with me forever, and my eyes are moist just typing this.

Iron Giant - In a moment of pure, triumphant sacrifice, the big guy discards his programmed directives and meets the nuke head-on, with a whisper of … suuupermaaannn. Sob.

:cry:

Million Dollar Baby,

A Time to Kill

Changeling

They get me all the time.

No I don't cry. They are only films.

...surprised nobody has mentioned the one currently doing the rounds - Marley & Me ...?

Green Mile and Big Fish.

Scrooged always gets me too, at the end when the little boy talks. I don't know why, maybe it's too much Christmas wine :)

Loads and loads but...off the top of my head, I'll say 'Once Upon a Time in The West', especially the bit where Cheyenne dies.

First film I knowingly cried at for its poignancy, rather than for being frightened by it, was 'King Kong'. All those old films on the same theme ('Frankenstein', 'The Creature from the Black lagoon' etc etc) used to upset me the same way.

Rabbit Proof Fence