Where do the council take cats found dead in the street?

A cat has been found dead that fits the description of my cat who has been missing for nearly a week. She was run over. Someone called the council who took it away - rather than the number on her collar - and they say they scan cats and contact the owners. Where do they taken them and how can i find out for sure its my cat?

They used to take them to Bernard Road, where they were logged with a description and where they were picked up. I don't know whether they still do that now it's Veolia.

I hopr it's not your cat though and that she turns up safe soon.

sorry to here that but u could ring PDSA they might know here is the number 0114 243 3232 its worth a try

Hi - ring 273 4567, that's the number to call. They take all dead animals to Olive Grove and they are scanned. This is off website, sorry if it upsets you, but it does tell you what happens:

All animals are taken to Olive Grove Depot where pets are scanned to check for an ID Chip. If a chip is detected the owners will be contacted. The animals are stored in a refrigerated store for 3 days during which time owners can call and collect them if they wish. After 3 days a local pet crematorium disposes of the animal.

It would seem from here though it may not be your cat? If they it were taken to Olive Grove they would have contacted you by now I would have thought?

I sincerely hope it's not your cat hun.

Here's link:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/maintenance/street-cleaning/missing-or-dead-animals

Details, including phone number to contact, here.

I hope it wasn't your cat and it returns safely soon.

Thanks for all the advice i'll call olive grove depot in the morning. Im sure its her though. Just sad i couldn't bury her. If she was run over badly like the man who found said she had maybe the microchip was damaged and couldn't be read.

sorry to hear about this- hope its not your cat but in some ways its reassuring to know Veolia do make attempts to notify owners, where possible.

They used to take them to Bernard Road, where they were logged with a description and where they were picked up. I don't know whether they still do that now it's Veolia...

I'm reliably informed that it's nowt to do with Veolia / Onyx, this went with "street cleaning", and remained with the council.

Thanks for all the advice i'll call olive grove depot in the morning. Im sure its her though. Just sad i couldn't bury her. If she was run over badly like the man who found said she had maybe the microchip was damaged and couldn't be read.

Did you find anything out?

I'm sorry to say this but I know of lots of cases where the owners were not contacted when their animals were found, even though the animals were microchipped and wearing a tag and collar with clear name, address and phone number on. The council didn't even keep the collar for identification from the owner and the details that were kept were so sketchy and incorrect as to be useless.

I know of people who had very identifiable pedigree cats who were chipped and wearing tags and who still weren't contacted (and in some instances the pick up was recorded so poorly that the staff denied even picking it up although the pick up was seen by a neighbour of the cat's owner).