Time off work because of morning sickness.

I'm 7 weeks pregnant and suffering!

I was off work (on holiday) last week and today and am due back tomorrow. However, I have been so poorly all week. I've felt sick all day every day and have been sick a couple of times a day. In between bouts of sickness I have slept all week. I can barely keep my eyes open.

I really don't feel like I can go to work tomorrow feeling like this and under 'normal' circumstances if I felt ill then I would not go but I'm worried what the manangement will think about this and how they will treat me on my return.

My boss has just returned from her maternity leave and she had no sickness throughout her pregancy which makes me think that she will have no empathy with me.

My attendance record is excellent normally.

So my question really is 'have you had time off work because of morning sickness and how were you treated because of it?' :help:

Sali, how did your employer react? Were they sympathetic? What about your other colleagues?

SallyW if you are ill as a result of your pregnancy and unable to work you are quite entitled to time off (not necessarily paid) but should be treated the same as any other employee who is ill and un fit for work.

Not meaning to be blunt, but I doubt your colleagues want you there if you keep retching and smell of vomit :gag:. You'd be amazed how many people are reflex vom-ers (i.e. they see/hear/smell you do one, and do one of their own in response).

If you're being sick lots there's not much point being at work, especially if you work with/near anyone else. I spent 8.5 months being sick into freezer bags stashed in my pockets - fortunately where I was working at the time people had quite a sense of humour and there were lots of little rooms to be sick in in private if I couldn't make it to the toilet. It's very unpleasant for all concerned if you're sick in public.

don't worry about the sleepiness, it'll pass after a few weeks. Don't start ODing on caffeine to try to counteract it though. Make sure you eat healthily - it'll help keep your energy up, as will staying as active as possible (people who exercise more tend to sleep less as a result).

Thanks for the advice ladies.

I've completely gone off tea and coffee so no chance of that :gag:

I haven't gone to work and I'm seeing my GP later this morning. I'm sure that he will only tell me the same thing as you ladies with experience of this can tell me but I thought that I ought to let him know how bad I'm feeling.

I certainly don't have the luxury of nipping off into private little rooms to vomit, I'm a teacher. Not great for 33 sixteen years olds to witness that. :gag:

sally, get your rights found out and stuff now, speak with the occupational advice service. they are awesome.

each pregnancy is different so just because your boss had a sick free pregnancy (the cow!) doesnt mean to say you will.

I had horrific sickness through mine and was off work more time i was there, i didnt know where i stood and they tried taking me down the sickness policy route and putting me on an absence review. they also didnt state that i couldnt be sacked for pregnancy related sickness when i asked which put me under more pressure and made the sickness worse.

after speaking with the occupation health service i found out what my rights were and told them.

they cant treat pregnancy related sickness as normal sickness so you cant be disciplined for it. you cannot be sacked for being sick whilst pregnant. if you need the time off take it, wearing yourself out is not good for you or the baby. your gp will prob give you a sick note, there is nothing much more they can do.

(i tried everything, acupressure bands on my wrist, even medication and i was still sick constantly)

i had loads of time off work was in and out of hospital due to the sickness,

all they gave me where stemitol and cyclizine (excuse spellings),

which didnt help me at all,hope yours passes soon:)

My GP has prescribed me stemetil tablets and a week off work. I haven't taken any tablets yet - a bit wary. :suspect:

I phoned my school and gave them the news (a: that I'm pregnant, b: that I'm not coming in for a week). She seemed OK and perked up when I said that I'd go back earlier if I felt well enough.

I'm taking on-board all your tips and have just ordered some wrist bands. :)

My GP has prescribed me stemetil tablets and a week off work. I haven't taken any tablets yet - a bit wary. :suspect:

I phoned my school and gave them the news (a: that I'm pregnant, b: that I'm not coming in for a week). She seemed OK and perked up when I said that I'd go back earlier if I felt well enough.

i can tell you the stemetil tablets both the ones you swallow and the ones you put in your gum to dissolve wont harm you or your baby,

let us know how you get on with them,

good luck:)

I had these tablets when I was pregant, they do no harm to the baby, I was a bit wary of taking them too.

Unfortunatly they didn't work for me and I ended up in hospital, losing 3 stone and being off work throughout the whole pregnancy.

Work wasn't impressed AT ALL. In the end I didn't care because it was something I couldn't avoid. Don't worry and just relax. Good luck with your pregnancy. :)