District Heating, who's on it, had it or got rid of it

I currently have district heating and have to say i've been un-impressed....things keep breaking down (ok its free repairs but what a hassle) half the time they dont heat up, they are basically poor performing and the cost seems to be over a grand a year....

i dont use much heating, so was wondering if anyone had any experience of telling them to get stuffed and fitting a combi boiler etc... i realise it'll be an initial outlay (havent done any figures) but over time i'm thinking i'll save and actually have something that works well.

thoughts?

i remove district heating and fit combination boilers in there place,the last contract i did was in worksop and they were paying 16 pound a week......... for the district.

once disconnected and on gas they dropped down to 5 pound a week for gas.. its a little unfair as they are all in bungalows with 5 radiators so a very small heating. but on the other side they are in 90 % of the time.. also this was a summer/beginning of winter gas bill...

boiler that was fitted was a platinum 28 he and trv`s to all the rads.

as i understand it there is a 300 pound bill to disconnect you from the service.

most of the rads in your area are centre feed rads unless they have been changed so you may need a full system and not just a boiler install. :( (just advisory really they would work on centre feed but not very well)

Are tenants allowed to opt out of the district heating? Does anyone know? I've always been told only owner occupiers can do it and pay the disconnection fee to the council.

i would say if your a tenant you have no choice as every one would come off it and there is the upkeep of the boiler house to contend with.

I have district heating and mine costs £20.50 a week I didn't like it at first but now i love it , I like the fact that it is always warm night and day, it is expensive but i dont think i would go back to gas central heating now

i remove district heating and fit combination boilers in there place,the last contract i did was in worksop and they were paying 16 pound a week......... for the district.

once disconnected and on gas they dropped down to 5 pound a week for gas.. its a little unfair as they are all in bungalows with 5 radiators so a very small heating. but on the other side they are in 90 % of the time.. also this was a summer/beginning of winter gas bill...

boiler that was fitted was a platinum 28 he and trv`s to all the rads.

as i understand it there is a 300 pound bill to disconnect you from the service.

most of the rads in your area are centre feed rads unless they have been changed so you may need a full system and not just a boiler install. :( (just advisory really they would work on centre feed but not very well)

just been told its between 400-500 to have it disconnected, need to look into this more, especially due to the poor service ive received in the past....takes the p*** really....i'm going to request documentation and any agreements they think i'm tied to, coz if im going out paying that price i'm going out fighting! :hihi:

i have about 6 radiators (3 that work sometimes) in a 3 bed mid terrace....and yes they are all centre feed.

shishhh thats gone up. :(

take heat measurements of the radiators on full and also temp of cylinder,

take them over a couple of weeks and note times ie: morning/dinner and night time..

then report your findings to the council if they are not what they guarantee i would push for a free disconnection or a reduction in cost.. (long shot but worth a try .)

A little update here.....i've requested all the documentation and terms and conditions of my agreement with the council concerning heating...and they have said 'you can have the documents, but it will cost you £50' !!!! i'm following this up with my local MP as i'm pretty p'eed off by the crazy cost and even crazier idea that i'm not allowed to see any contracts that they say i'm tied to!!!

In this day and age when everyone is going on about fuel costs and conserving energy, i'm wasting shed loads of heat I don't need and the council don't seem to give a toss.

apparently this is correct all the files are in the archives and have to be pulled out, and yes withing your tenancy there is a paragraph about the district heating and disconnection etc..

my wife was in the district department many moons ago and was the one chasing the non payers and dealing with disconnections..

so yes i am afraid so it will be very costly after you add the new installation costs to .

MY, mates just been disconnected and it cost him £425. Apparantely it is to cover the cost of 'some loan' the council took out for the district heating. Mind you he lives in a mid terrace so the pipes run under his house and over the loft, so the house is still warm and he's not paying for it anymore.

easiest way is pay to have it disconnected then when they have gone reconnect it .. :)

every one is happy then . :) they have there 500 pound and you have free heating

they only cap it off in the roof ..