Smtp email help

Our business is on virgin media and we recently had a problem with our connection which involved an engineer doing something to our account "behind the scenes".

Since then wh have a problem with our email server and it comes up with an smtp error? i had a look on the server but cant see anything wrong, is it something i should be ringing virgin about or trying to solve myself?

what exactly is the error? Where is the error displayed, and what are you doing when you get it (ie, does it always error whenever you do something specific, or is it random)?

its when we try and send an email, they arrive fine, it comes back with an undeliverable error, pasted below.

Subject: RE: WaterGuard

Sent: 18/02/2008 09:43

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

******** on 18/02/2008 09:44

There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.

<waterguard.co.uk #5.5.0 smtp;554 Sending address not accepted due to spam filter>

Looking at the error message you are being blocked because of spam prevention.

It may be that you are trying to use the wrong server. If waterguard.co.uk has it's emails hosted by fast2host and you are using smtp with their server (which seems likely looking at your whois and dns entries) then your smtp server should be set to mail.waterguard.co.uk not, as I suspect, mail.virgin.co.uk or such like.

If you do have the correct smtp server setup then you should be speaking to the provider of your email service, as they are the only ones who can solve the problem.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for the replies, the email server is set as mail.waterguard.co.uk, it hasnt been touched so I didnt think it would be this. I have raised a fault with virgin so hopefully when they call me back that will resolve the issue and we can send emails again (my drafts folder is getting quite large).

you have to use the internet providers SMTP server, change it to the virgin one and you should find you can send emails