The price of a pint!!

Just returned from my local, where l drink John Smith's Magnet. Saturday night it was £2.10p a pint, tonight £2.25p a pint with no prior warning. I love going to the Local, but are they taking the pee or what? Must decide what to do as I hate drinking in the house:mad:

don't drink its not compulsory

I agree, but I like to see my pals (mainly at weekends due to work), and every 4 weeks the wife gets the weekend off (due to work), so we go down town (Rotherham) on a Saturday for a couple of hours, then back to the local where the are now charging town prices:mad:

A 15p increase deserves an answer imo. You only have to work it out over a year - 15p x how many pints?? Obviously if your local landlord / lady has been forced in to it then it's a different matter...

See this thread: Beer Barrel Prices Rise...has your pint gone up yet?

Most Breweries have now raised their barrel prices by 4%, reflecting the price of the raw materials (hops) the price of which has been raised by farmers due to a poor harvest in 2007. This means that virtually all pubs are either going to have to tack on an average of an extra 10 pence a pint in the weeks ahead .

:rolleyes:

pubs have to make a living.....

Yes they do have to make a living, but less people are using them, and if they keep putting up the prices as they do, they will be even less going in.:mad:

Yes they do have to make a living, but less people are using them, and if they keep putting up the prices as they do, they will be even less going in.:mad:

Chicken and egg, though. The less people use the pub, the less the pubcos make so they have to increase the price of a pint for people who do still use the pub. This is turn leads to less people using the pub, which means a further increase in the price of a pint. This in turn...etc....etc....

Where will it end?

The prices going up are not allways down to people not going to the pubs as much.

One of the main reasones is that if the brewery(sp) can make as much money selling 9 barrels as they can as selling 10 buy adding a few pence on each pint then they are going to do that because then they dont have to spend money making the beer and transporting it.

what i dont under stand is that there can be a few pubs on one road that are owned by the same brewery but all have differnt prices

Its known as the british rail syndrome. They put the price up so less people use the trains, so they put the price up to balance the books and less people use the trains, so they put the price up to balance the books and less people use the trains. Eventually one passenger ends up paying for the whole network.

Used to love going to the pub but at £2.20 per pint these days i cannot afford to, its much cheaper to visit Tesco/Asda and buy a 24 pk of beer/lager for between £11- £14 which will last a couple of nights!!! than to spend £11 on 5 pints in the pub !!! More pubs will be closing due to the high cost of beer and the smoking ban, could be the end of the Local we know it

Staying in is the new going out !!!

Used to love going to the pub but at £2.20 per pint these days i cannot afford to, its much cheaper to visit Tesco/Asda and buy a 24 pk of beer/lager for between £11- £14 which will last a couple of nights!!! than to spend £11 on 5 pints in the pub !!! More pubs will be closing due to the high cost of beer and the smoking ban, could be the end of the Local we know it

Staying in is the new going out !!!

Whether we like it or not ....

You are quite correct !!!!!:mad: