Capping gas supply off....

I thought £40 sounded cheap. Go ahead blow your house up.

£40-£50 is about par for course.

I've PM'd you a number for a mate.

i had a gas fire refitted less than 12 months ago and it cost me just £35 . and this involves more work than just capping off , i would suggest yellow pages ring round get best price 40 to 50 quid sounds a lot to me unless perhaps the fitter travels a long way to the job .

It's a pretty much standard charge of £40-£50 the reason being that the CORGI engineer still needs to make his money in a day, there's only so many jobs you can fit in a day even if they are only 15 minutes... the same guy will probably charge £150-£200 for a full days work.

Originally posted by tinker

i had a gas fire refitted less than 12 months ago and it cost me just £35 . and this involves more work than just capping off , i would suggest yellow pages ring round get best price 40 to 50 quid sounds a lot to me unless perhaps the fitter travels a long way to the job .

There's more to a job than price. I get increasingly annoyed at people that expect to pay me, and trades in general, absolutely ***** all and that we give you a price just so you can haggle it down. I wouldn't expect a competent CORGI engineer to fit a fire correctly for £35.

Originally posted by Lurch

when i wanted a gas fire refitting i used yellow pages i got 3 quotes 1 was as much as over £100 ,the one that did the job was local they were 2 of them came took about 30 mins and no problems they gave a price i did not ask them to do it at that price , they must have made a profit on the job , what do you expect me to do pay someone else to do it that is asking more than double the price , and yes they were corgi registered and gave valid receipt , so i would suggest like with anything else could be car repairs or other shop around ,

Lurch is quite correct anybody who charges less than £40 is not going to survive long out there in the real world. Our training and registration costs are literally thousands of pounds, and on a regular basis. Then there is tax and vat. I would charge £45.

A £35 pound job is likely to be dodgey and I see a lot of dodgey jobs by corgi engineers.

Lurch is quite correct anybody who charges less than £40 is not going to survive long out there in the real world. Our training and registration costs are literally thousands of pounds, and on a regular basis. Then there is tax and vat. I would charge £45.

A £35 pound job is likely to be dodgey and I see a lot of dodgey jobs by corgi engineers.

i agree, i have also spent thousands as some of you know, i would like to ask the people who have had cheap jobs done if the installer gave them a certificate when appliances are installed. if the installer has and has done a competant job then he can come work for me and i will make a mint! cut down my overheads and just sit in the office and take phone calls! i could even ditch my tools, of which i have also spent considerable money on! (£70 the other day for an adjustable wrench and pump pliers!) so that would be two jobs at £35 + diesel etc etc just for two essential tools!

if any one needs work doing/quoting for ( we do not install gas fires) give us a call

Every appliance needs testing by a c.o.r.g.i. plumber, after installation.You cant always smell gas leaking, but it is. Better to be safe than sorry.

does anyone know how to reconnect thier gas supply? mine was cut off, but the bill has been paid, i need to reconnect it urgently, but the gas company are looking at 2 weeks minimum! my mother has artheritis, so it is very important.

does anyone know how to reconnect thier gas supply? mine was cut off, but the bill has been paid, i need to reconnect it urgently, but the gas company are looking at 2 weeks minimum! my mother has artheritis, so it is very important.

Think the best thing to do is leave it to the gas company, otherwise you may find yourself getting another bill for tampering with it.

Sorry about your mum.

i thought it was illgeal to mess with a gas supply