Toshiba abandons HD-DVD

You can say that about every format ever! What a ridiculous statement. I don't care that they don't produce cassettes anymore, I don't care that VHS is dead.

It's not a ridiculous statement!

You're taking things far too seriously methinks!

Part of the problem IMO is that not many people have a HD telly, due to the cost of getting one with anything like a decent sized screen, £500+ in Argos for big screen HD TVs, and most of them aren't even proper HD. just "HD ready"!!

Part of the problem IMO is that not many people have a HD telly, due to the cost of getting one with anything like a decent sized screen, £500+ in Argos for big screen HD TVs, and most of them aren't even proper HD. just "HD ready"!!

As has already been said, nearly every TV on sale now is HD capable and so within 5 - 10 years every set in every home will be HD capable.

At the moment, I'd estimate a 25% take-up.

I've no idea what size you consider reasonable Rich, but there are plenty of HD capable sets around below £500, and HD ready means that it will display an HD picture, although possibly just 720P.

As has already been said, nearly every TV on sale now is HD capable and so within 5 - 10 years every set in every home will be HD capable.

I've no idea what size you consider reasonable Rich, but there are plenty of HD capable sets around below £500, and HD ready means that it will display an HD picture, although possibly just 720P.

Being able to take a HD signal and display it does not mean it's HD. HD capable/ready is stupid term to con people into buying an something that is not actualy up to the task.

Also seeing as Cable/Satelite cannot even send SD signals that don't artifact dreadfully, why bother with an even higher bandwdth signal?

As has already been said, the fact that most new TVs sold today are capable of HD or near HD DOES NOT mean that in 10 years time every TV will be HD capable!

You are way out in your estimation of 25% current take up of HD TV, If you are lucky you might scape about 7%.

Lots of TVs in homes these days are 15+ years old with no sign of needed replacing.

TVs are one of the main products in the home that doesn't get replaced all that often.

Current non HD tv broadcasts look much much better in picture quality using a Cathode Ray Tube TV than any current LCD /Plasma HD ready TV further slowing sales of HD ready TV.

Newer CRT TVs could well last 20 years or more.

It's unlikely that even 25% of all TVs in Britain will be HD ready in 10 years time.

01utod_02032551093518.jpg

The officials from Toshiba Corporation on Tuesday announced that the Japanese company would stop the campaign meant to promote its HD DVD format for the follow-up generation DVD. The statement was made after Toshiba lost the support of some of the main studios and retailers, who had chosen Blu-ray technology, which is backed by Sony Corporation.

Thus Toshiba's decision ends the war between the competing consortiums, letting Sony set its standard for high-definition movies on DVDs.

Toshiba's representatives stated that the company would start reducing the deliveries of HD DVD players and recorders. The Japanese firm looks forward to end the business by the end of the following month.

The victory of Blu-ray over HD DVD format literally means that consumers won't have to choose between two incompatible formats.

One format on the market is believed to boost the shift to the new-generation technology in the home DVD market, the transactions of which are currently estimated at $24 billion.

Source : rouseindahouse

This is now old news!!

Existing thread here

Mods? Thread merge please.

If you look on the left hand side of you screen, under the 'Forum Contents' category there's a button reading 'search'. Use it :roll: