Sign in to follow this  

[SOLD] Relocation - Which areas of Sheffield are desireable?

Guest Guest

i'm considering realocating my family to sheffield. which are the most desirable palces to live, it must be fairly close to the city centre as well as have access to parks and greenland. :o

Guest Guest

The south side of the city is very desirable,I have lived here for the last twenty seven year's and there is virtualy no crime (apart from criminals who occasionaly come in cars at night to do their business). It is clean, not many thug's or hooligan's and one can walk out after dark without any fear. We have park's, wood's,open spaces and are close to the moor's leading to owler bar and into derbyshire,also the air is clean and the drinking water is pure. I was born in sheffield, and I came to the south side many year's ago from the manor estate, which, in those day's was run down and I was glad to get away. The estate has since been renovated, with new houses and bungalow's but I beleive there is still a problem with drugies ETC. I would advise you to look around Ecclesall, Dore,Bradway and Totley, they are roughly six miles :D from sheffield city centre.

Good areas :) Door village in particular is very attractive. Parts of Norton are charming too (around the church in particular) and you're on the doorstep of Graves Park which is large and remarkably varied. Have a look in the West side of the city too - Ranmoor, Crosspool, Crookes, Walkley etc. Ranmoor and Crosspool are leafy with a mix of stone-clad buildings and suburban houses (thankfully the latter don't come close to swamping the area despite being plentiful - drive along the main road through Ranmoor and the trees and stone walls are most obvious). Crookes and Walkley have a smaller scale - Walkley in particular has an unusual character as it has many terraced houses that are built of stone with the occasional detached house (Carr Road has the latter - I think they were the first building society houses to be built). Despite being more densely populated than Crosspool, the area still has many leafy corners and you can get great views on account of it being built on the side of one of Sheffield's hills. The main road through runs along the hill rather than up it - sadly the road is a bit busy and narrow. The area boasts a fantastic bakers and you can walk into town in under an hour (usually under 10 minutes by car and there are frequent buses) despite the area feeling as though it's on the edge of the countryside - the distinctly rural feeling Rivelin Valley comes into the city at the bottom of the hill Walkley is halfway up. The other areas mentioned are within 10-20 minutes drive of the city centre too, depending on traffic. If I find the time I'll submit posts that sell the other areas too :) (I know Walkley fairly well as I used to work there)

Guest Guest

Nether Edge. Lots of tree lined avenues with stone built houses.

If you're not living on the edge......

Guest Guest

As well as all the areas already mentioned, you should have a look at Woodseats. It is " up and coming " so I am told !

Anyway, we found that the housing in Woodseats is considerably cheaper than Dore, Totley, Crosspool and Crookes etc. and the area is just as nice.

A particularly good "undiscovered " spot is at the top part of Woodseats near Abbey Lane/ Holmhirst Road...there is a network of Victorian, tree-lined streets with terraces, semis and some detached, where you can still get a decent house for under £100K. There are great schools and facilities in the area too.

When we first relocated to Sheffield, nobody recommended this area to us ( they all rated S10 and S11 postcodes ). We found it all by ourselves, and think we did pretty well :wink:

there are new estates hillsborough end - wadsley park village (middlewood) and one on the one way system at oughtibridge - close to town and tram, but not too close and close to counrtyside (and ace pubs) and short journey to meadowhell

What sort of budget have you got? I would agree with dore and fullwood and places like that being nice. I personally think Hillsborough is an awful place and I don't think much of woodseats either but who am I to coment, I live in Burngreave!

:D

MOD: Don't hang around waiting for a response, check the dates.

sorry just seen date!! hillsb not all bad, just the estates, pubs, shops, people, etc .. he he! but no i mean on the outskirts, wadsley park village goes right up thru wadsley and worral near the golf course. if you loaded there are some dead nice houses and bungs up there.

i have just been told that the two estates at oughti are on a flood plain though, so not a good place to buy!

deepcar has got a massive new estate, near golf course and pen nook, but its too near stocksbridge for my liking

Stick with Fulwood or Ranmoor, not the bit of Ranmoor on the Fulwood Road but venturing up towards Crosspool......some superb properties on the quietest roads in the whole city, if you dont mind a few potholes. The only noise you will hear will be the hum of electric gates.

Been here since the 70's and its Heaven......and having tried a few other areas, will never move from here.

Norton Lees is a fantastic place to live.

The people are freindly, theres hardly any crime, the views are fantastic and Newfield School is improving a lot as a new Head has joined.

Also Newfield is being rebuilt in a couple of years and from the computer generated pictures i've seen it looks very expensive and modern.

oh! by the way, its very green and tree lined in parts and Meersbrook Park is very good with one of the best views in the city!