Sheffield Steam Sheds Article in Steam Day Magazine

Do any of you ex BR lads who have contributed to this thread or those of you who have just been ' Piking ' remember a Ray Stevenson who was a Fireman at Darnall and worked previously at Neepsend. He left BR in 1951 and went to work for Dan Bradbury Motor Cycles on London Road

The 'Steam Days' mag is very interesting. Thanks Bus Man. Just been reading about the North Devon Line. I stayed in Ilfracombe a few times in the 50's but always travelled in Dad's car. I'm sure a trip from Exeter behind a Merchant Navy class would have been good fun. Bit late now.

The 'Steam Days' mag is very interesting. Thanks Bus Man. Just been reading about the North Devon Line. I stayed in Ilfracombe a few times in the 50's but always travelled in Dad's car. I'm sure a trip from Exeter behind a Merchant Navy class would have been good fun. Bit late now.

You naughty boy you were supposed to be reading the article on Sheffield Sheds not devon - stand in the naughty corner.

I am so pleased that so many of you have enjoyed the articel and have contributed to this thread soem of the memories coming out are amasing.

Just as an aside I passed millhouses shed today on the train most of the brick work as been demolished and jsut the frame is left

RIP

Runningman mentions Neepsend shed. I dont suppose for one minute there's anything left of that. My grandfather took me for a look around, it must've been about 1937. I was about 4 years old. He used to work from there, being a driver at the time. I know it's been closed for years. If I remember right it was just straight roads over pits, I cant remember if there was a turntable outside or not.

Yes Arfur, I too played three and nine card brag in the canteen. I was there in '51 for a few weeks as a cleaner, then the Army. When I came out I was registered and went more or less straight into firing. I think you said you were a steam raiser, didn't you?

I packed it in after about 3 years, although I loved the job it, didn't do anything for my social life. Being not quite stable in those days I went as a Guard for a couple of years, which, you'll agree, was just the same, hours wise. What did my head in was being on PM's one week, at 11/59, and AMs the following week at a minute past midnight.

I like your list Hillsboro. Crabs, they had a cylindrical boiler didn't they? Not tapered like a Black 5. Do you remember the British Railway's class 2 and 4F's? We called them rocker bars, owing to the design of the bars in the firebox. They could be operated by a leaver on the front, (that's the footplate) but we'll not go into that.

Hi Texas No l said l was a bar lad only lasted 3mths me and my mate had done our quota and went down the line on to a loco getting up steam out of the way of THE foremanTHINK HIS NAME WAS JACK RAWLINGS pulled over the blackout cover whichwas used during the war A MISTAKE Jack was curious why the cover was on , caught us fast asleep , the boss gave us a no;1 form and suspension for three days, which gave me a chance to find a new job, my mate went on to be a cleaner ,his name Jack Watson did you ever come across him . Cheers Arthur.

Here's an image that will awaken a few memories among ex-trainspotters; a page from a 1954 bus guide showing departures from Sheffield Victoria. Included are the Liverpool-Harwich boat train (both directions) and trains stopping at long-gone stations such as Oughty Bridge, Kilnhurst Central, Torksey, Scawby and Staveley Central.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/1954Timteable-1.jpg

Hi Did you ever use the canteen at grimey sheds' lworked there for a while, and there was always a brag or pontoon school going on one the end table near the fire, lost all my spends every week till l left, by the way l'm talking shortly after the Blitz, so a long time ago, Cheers ARTHUR.

Hi Arthur, I used to work at Grimesthorp and as you said i spent many hours in the canteen playing cards mainly solo,this was about 1950. there was two very large ladies, (sisters in fact) running the canteen then and they were there years before me their names were Mary and Lucy, perhaps you remember them? I was a boilersmith there at the time making and repairing these steam engines so these train spotters could enjoy their pastimes(good on them)

And BIG girls too.

Hi Hillsbro',

The Liverpool-Harwich boat train brings back many happy memories. We used to catch this train on the first Saturday of the school summer holidays in the early 50's. It was usually pulled by a B1. We would get off at Spalding, and then catch the tank hauled two coach non-corridor local train running on the single line between Spalding and Kings Lynn. We used to get off at Long Sutton to stay with relatives for a whole six weeks.

It was nice to breathe unpolluted air. At the end of the holiday we would do the journey in reverse.

Happy Days.

Hi There, please could you tell me what you mean by Guylees was your usual haunt. I am trying to seek informatiom about my grandfather, who ran a factory in Sheffield, they made chucks, I think Jacbos bought them out.. Is that what you where refurring too?

Dogdyke? I wasn't an angler but on Sunday morning at about 5am when getting back from a Wednesday game in the south, the Victoria station approach was thronged with fishermen going to catch their trains.

I used to catch the 5.42pm from Victoria to Retford when a London team had played in Sheffield to travel on their London train and get autographs. Ron Springett used to travel on this train.

We used to visit Canklow, Barrow Hill and Rowsley on our bikes. The return half-fare to Doncaster was 1s 8d but I've cycled there as a teenager with the sole purpose of climbing up the paint shop wall at Doncaster plant. My last A1 was in the window, Kingfisher (despite my time in Edinburgh). Do you remember ever going over North Bridge at Doncaster to near a canal that overlooked the back of the plant? St.James's Bridge was brilliant for spotting. If we went the other way, it was 4/6d half return to Manchester London Road and then a further 3/6d to Crewe - that was big stuff! Crewe 5A was very difficult but Crewe South and Gresty Lane not so busy. In Sheffield, Archer Road steps, by Guylee's, was my usual haunt - unless word got round something special was on the GC line but I have been to the Bernard Road location with bino's.

Adjacent to the railway steps which led to the MPD (sheds) was Guylee's factory which, as you say, I believe became Jacobs. The trainspotters used to stand either on the steps or the path (which was fenced off from the railway) - although this was technically British Rail property. The alternative was to stand at one corner of the bridge so you could get the numbers or take photos from a wider angle. The factory was immediately behind as we faced the four rail tracks.

I should add this was up to 1964 at most!

Guylees / Jacobs is now known as the the south west centre, the railings are still there and I think the steps are but I will have alook