Back to Back Housing

What happened to Karen Moverley.

We were in number 63 , other side of entry from George. i was born in that house in 1957.

Did you witness those large Geese walking down Newman Road and taking flight at the bottom,it was a talking point at that time.

I was born at Low Road, Woodland View, in a "sort of" back to back house. That is - it had three rooms (one down, one up and one further up) but there was nothing backed on to it..:?. The toilet was a 30-yard stroll across the yard and was shared with next door (they were posh - they also had a cellar...). The houses, together with an adjacent row of 12 larger ones (affectionately known as the "mucky dozen") were demolished in 1964 and most of the occupants rehoused by the council in the Roscoe Bank development.

Hi Tara, Last time i spoke to Karen, she was with Maud in Parkgate Retail World, at that time she was living somewhere out Worksop way. The Geese you mentioned were ours, we had a load of Geese, Ducks, Hens, Chickens & Rabbits, on the big allotment opposite the Wincobank Hotel. It took my mother, grandmother & a few neighbours ages to get them back on the allotment.!!!. Haven"t found the photo of the chipshop yet, but have found several photos showing Flo Webster, her daughter Elain, my sister Gloria with her friend Mary Smith,( Mary lived in the yard above ours in the bottom house.) plus several more, all showing Challoner"s farm & the Gas Tank in the backgrond. I found these old photos, with a lot more,in an old tin box after my mother passed away. Going to spend a few happy hours going through them, when i can find time.!!!!!.

Hi there Gethro, Elaine Webster was one of my friends, is it possible for you to email any pics .? Or somehow use photo bucket.

Regarding back to back houses,i was born in a back to back house and we only had one room down stairs,a bedroom upstairs and a attic above the bedroom and a Celler The houses was in blocks of 6 at the front and 6 at the back with a big yard that housed the toilets which you had to share,as regards are they any left standing well they are about 6 standing on milton street which are the true back to back.also i got a photo of a real back to back housing and if you want a pic then message me with your e-mail address and ill send it you so you know what back to back hoses was in years gone bye.

could you put it on photo bucket so we could all see?

The Local Studies Library has put many photos of back-to-back houses on its website picturesheffield.co.uk - this one shows the three-storey, one room deep arrangement: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=u02572

The Local Studies Library has put many photos of back-to-back houses on its website picturesheffield.co.uk - this one shows the three-storey, one room deep arrangement: http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=u02572

I remember many happy times at my friends house 8Ct8 Barrow Road Wincobank, There was one room downstairs and two upstairs on the first and second floor. The family were the Revills, a typical family. Pats dad used to say 'too many of us in 'ere, we'll 'ave to go int front room' I lived in a semi, and couldn't understand why we didn't!!!! This was in the early 60's. I love going down memeory lane!

I lived in the old back to backs at bottom of newman road wincobank.

they were pulled down around 69 and it was a lot of years till they built on it.

i beleive prince naseem the boxer lives in the new buildings that they finally did replace them with.

the old days in the back to backs were the best years of my life.

He lives at Castle Dyke on Ringinglow Road.

I remember many happy times at my friends house 8Ct8 Barrow Road Wincobank, There was one room downstairs and two upstairs on the first and second floor. The family were the Revills, a typical family. Pats dad used to say 'too many of us in 'ere, we'll 'ave to go int front room' I lived in a semi, and couldn't understand why we didn't!!!! This was in the early 60's. I love going down memeory lane!

This sounds very familiar to me, Hetty - though at 7Ct2 Low Road our three rooms were piled on on top of the other.

The 1960s was the decade that put paid to back-to-back houses in Sheffield. Some would say it was very much a change for the better. But the fact is that houses aren't important - it's people who matter, and nobody can take away our memories.

Look what happened on the Kelvin. In 1960-61, in the name of "progress", they demolished Robert Street, Edith Street etc. and built the Kelvin flats. Then 20+ years later the flats became such a decrepit warren that nobody would live in them and so they were ... demolished.

there are back to back houses up for rent in S21 at the moment.

Hetty i also remember folks from Barrow rd. Ernie Reville.

Do you remember the Kerrs. Judy was my aunt Dora's sister.

Also Paul ,Peter, Julie, Robert and Vincent.