Friends Reunited - the great scam?

I have annual membership for both FriendsReunited and GenesReunited and I'm notified when my subscription is due to expire.

I get annoyed when I send someone a message and don't receive a reply because the other person hasn't upgraded.

There are lots of messages on both sites which are years out of date and, in my opinion, the site needs a general overhaul and people need clarity and what your subsrciption provides.

When I reply to my messages on GenesReunited I usually put my private e-mail address in, it's much easier and quicker. Fortunately, so far, I haven't had my messages scrutinized.

Is it me or does anyone else notice that people you were at school with are completely different now when they post their information on FriendsReunited? I have to chuckle when I read how many of my school chums are over inflating their achievements to date, probably because I've done nowt with my life!

Just to let folks out there know that I tried the ploy that Joan suggests, inserting my email address in the FR email to people, and it appears to have worked. I've started to receive responses. Thought this might be useful to others.

Joanl is correct the notify you that your subscription is due and yo accept that if you have paid by card that they will use the same details. You have the option to refuse or pay in some other way, cant see the problem they do tell you at the start of the period that they will do this and you can opt out

Well I paid a couple of years ago and they took another payment last year, this year my card has changed, and I never got an email asking me if I wanted to carry on with my upgraded membership, but keep getting emails saying my details are wrong and they can't take the money, even though after the first one came it said "if you want to upgrade please send us your correct details" which I never did, but six months later I still get emails saying they can't take the money every month. Just glad my card has changed!!!

Joan mentions that she tries to get an email address in her initial email. A few wks bk I decided to bite the bullet and pay up for 6 mo. in FR. Sent out a bunch of messages. No replies. probably for the same reason that I didn't reply when I used to get them. The people I sent them to aren't paid up members so can't reply.

Anyone know if messages are screened by a moderator, i.e. if it's set up so that email addresses are automatically removed?

I thought of sending around another message containing my email address.

Thks.

Btw, Duffems, your story about the Elvis turned bald guy is hilarious even if it is a bit close to home. :):)

Somewhere in FR's blurb it tells you that they "strip out E mails for your security" I shall not be renewing my sub because it takes so long to get into the site. Does anyone else have this problem.

Somewhere in FR's blurb it tells you that they "strip out E mails for your security" I shall not be renewing my sub because it takes so long to get into the site. Does anyone else have this problem.

No problem getting into the site here and..........

Just to let folks out there know that I tried the ploy that Joan suggests, inserting my email address in the FR email to people, and it appears to have worked. I've started to receive responses. Thought this might be useful to others.

It seems to work for some of us.......

Friends reunited is now free to use as far as I'm aware

You still have to pay for GenesReunited but, you're right, FriendsReunited is free now.

That must be a real comforting fact to all those who have recently paid for their subscriptions.....................

Friends reunited sent me a message saying that membership is now free but I cannot get passed the first page- odd! I also received a message from an old workmate but was unable to reply because I hadn't paid up.

friends reunited now keep saying its free!

Sheffield ex-pats is a great site for tracking down old buddies, but Friends Reunited.. dear oh dear. Has anyone tried it? What a scam. They invite you to 'upgrade' your membership so that you can contact other members. Their email says:

"Contacting old friends is one of the full member benefits. It costs

£7.50 to upgrade and once you've paid your membership fee you can contact as many people as you like."

What they dont make clear in this 'advice' is that this only lasts six months, and once they have your credit card details stored, they keep taking the money, unless you log in and alter the settings to stop them.

I think its pretty shoddy behavior from an organisation that ought to know better. Anyone else had bad experiences with Friends Reunited?

its free now to talk to someone on freinds reunited cause i go on it all the time

its free now to talk to someone on freinds reunited cause i go on it all the time

How do get beyond the first page- I haven't managed to do so yet.