Reviews of combi boilers - Ferroli, Potterton, etc

I know there's a big thread about boilers on here, but it doesn't answer my particular question.

I'm planning to have a new condensing combi boiler fitted at some point in the next few months, and I'm currently getting plumbers out to do me quotes. There's a fairly substantial difference in price between some of them (so far - lowest £1790, highest £2300) but they all fit different makes of boiler so I don't want to just go for the cheapest quote and end up with a boiler that turns out not to be very good. Does anyone have any experience of any of the following boilers?

- Ferroli Domicompact 24

- Potterton (not sure which specific one)

- Baxi

Any recommendations for particular ones to avoid?

If anyone wants to recommend a plumber as well, I'd be glad to hear it. So far I've arranged for quotes from Paul at Heating Solutions, Stuart at Sheffield Heating & Mechanical Services, Kingfisher Gas Services and Simon Fletcher Plumbing & Heating.

Talk to Andy Stirling or JL Heating to come and quote. They are both subscribed here.

Some installers favour certain boilers. I'm not surprised that there is a variance in price looking at the boilers you've mentioned.

Its also about what you are getting for the price, so i always recommend getting quite a few written quotes. Then sit down and compare like with like.

As for the combi's you've mentioned. I won't install Ferrolis (and the domicompact also has quite a low kilowatt output), or Pottertons. Baxi i would ,but only if it was the Platinum or Duo-tec model.

Andy

The Atag boiler installed in my house has given me no end of trouble but these are supposed to be a top brand?

In fact, I have no heating right now and it is freezing...

I like my vailliant boiler; its a Turbo Max 28e, I think:P

We have just had a new combi, it's a borag? I think. we had this model put in the old house before we moved and have never had any problems with it (so far, touch wood)

I run 4 service engineers repairing gas combis in Sheffield I can tell you without any predudice that the vaillant range of boiler is streets in front of the rest

We had worcester combi 28i put in by D & G and its very good

work was completed in 2 days, clean and tidy very happy customer of D & G

ring Ged on 07748907382 or Daz 07748907231

I run 4 service engineers repairing gas combis in Sheffield I can tell you without any predudice that the vaillant range of boiler is streets in front of the rest

Totally agree. I'm finding the new Ecotec plus a really reliable model

i fitted 100 valiants last year with no problem...... then 60 baxi 28he platinums again no problems..except 1 and when i called baxi they sent out a new 1 the same day and i swopped it there and then and they also paid me for my hassel.. !!!

i start another phase of 100 in 2 weeks and yes you have got it ... platinums again . :)

they are bullet proof and spares if needed are reasonable and usually very easy to fit so down time is at a minimum.

on the worster i find the parts expensive and sometimes parts are not servicable which is silly its just they dont make the service kit and sell you a complete part.£££££££

the valiant are bullet proof to but take the front off 1 soooooo many things to go wrong . :( and such a tight unit... but on the plus side they dont go wrong much . :) but if they do ....oops..... !!!!!

We had a Baxi in our last house and it was very unreliable. It was only about 4 years old when we moved out and is still trouble now. We have a Potterton at our current house. It isnt a combi but is very reliable and economical to run. It is about 8 years old and is never ant trouble.

If it isn't too far off topic - could you fill us in on why you decided on a combi? Call me old fashioned but I just prefer the old "hot water tank" style.