My Renault Clio - Mechanic help PLEASE

Thanks

It's at Evans Halshaw

I haven't agreed that the work shd be done yet

fanfa ...... is that price correct for the washer pump??? I have a focus & mine cost a tenner & I fitted it in 30 mins........£130 seems excessive to me. Brake pads for mine £45. Are they all Gold plated or summat????

I know, pressy. I think they're taking the ****.

Have contacted an indie garage and asked for quotes from them.

Angry and upset with the quote gioven.

Did they just see 'stressed woman' and decide to screw me out of money I can't afford?

Hiya

Clio 1.2 expression

Indie garage has repaired it for me. Took them a day. They've charged me £378 inc. VAT and Labour.

I know have the original Rewnault quote and their 'knock down deal'. It looks even worse compared with the indie garage's quote, especially since he used Renault parts from a garage in Notts.

Reckon it's worth a letter of complaint to Renault head office? They were supposed to check my bonnet [it's a recall issue] the 2 days that they had it, but they didn't.

I'm just grateful the work's done and it's been done honestly. He said Reanult wanted to replace the whole kit and kaboodle but he suggested trying one part first and seeing if that worked. If further issue, then he'd look again. He fixed car in Renault Sheffield's forecourt!! [cheeky] then drove it back to Retford and it was fine.

We'll see how she goes. Felt good to drive it today tho. Very smooth.

Sorry for waffling...must go to sleep!

<snip>

P.S I'm sorry I hadnt updated the problem.......

I had it serviced, and it did not fix the problem, it needed service + timing belt anyway so thats out the way.

I took it to that place I just mentioned ( off woodseats road ). A headlight bulb had broken aswel, which after my visit to halfords I found was actually a problem with the circuit. They fixed the circuit, diagnosed the rev problem as a fault with the " manifold absolute pressure sensor ", fixed it, and its been fine since. The part was £34, they charged £30 labour, and £11 VAT making it £75. Its been great since and I dont know if its related but seems to be using a lot less petrol aswel!

cliosport.net forums are a good resource if you have any more problems.

for cheap car parts type german, swedish and french car parts into google i things gsfcarparts.co.uk (not used them in a while tbh)

reading fanfa's posts reminded me of and old joke....

Sally told her friend, "I was worried that my mechanic might

try to rip me off, so I was relieved when he told me all I

needed was blinker fluid."

It worries me that so many people actually believe that independant garages 'do the same job' as main dealers. No doubt that their customer service is more personal than a large dealership - and for simple jobs such as services they are probably ok. But for technical diagnosis, how on earth could a small independant garage have as much technical experience on a particular model as a main dealer who's techs work on nothing but Renault all day long, and are trained by Renault - not a Haynes manual? The main dealers also have access to tech info directly from the manufacturer - not Internet forums!

I've worked for a main dealer for over 20 years (I'm a Master Tech) and have lost count of the amount of jobs we have had from independents who have promised beyond their ability and have had to come to us with their tails between their legs - or the amount of phones calls we get asking for information. They would, no doubt, add our charges to their own.

Most main dealer techs are well trained and regularly tested indendently (I have 2 assessments a year from the IMI and manufacturer in order to maintain ATA Diagnostic Technician and ensure I'm up to date with current technology). How many independants have their technical ability independantly tested? Main dealers are not perfect - but with their training, experience and support from the manufacturer, they stand much more of a chance of solving your problem quickly and accurately!

washer pump £130

rear wiper £8.02

brake pads £140.67

2 rear tyres £84.36

brake fluid £89.12

coolant £89.12

throttle body £419.72

throttle pedal [pentemeter?] £112

diagnostic check £82.25

I'm sorry but Evans Halshaw are robbing c**ts. I have the same stalling problem on my 51reg Clio and they identified the problem with the throttle body and O2 sensor. They then started telling me about all the other things "wrong" with the car. The list is virtually identical to Fanfa. It's obviously a template invoice.

I'm just lucky I went to see them the day England played Algeria as they were desperate to get rid of everybody on the friday night and I didn't pay the diagnosis charge. I'm going to take it to an independent auto-electrician.

I'm in GENERAL forum too so sorry for repeating myself

x

washer pump £130

rear wiper £8.02

brake pads £140.67

2 rear tyres £84.36

brake fluid £89.12

coolant £89.12

throttle body £419.72

throttle pedal [pentemeter?] £112

diagnostic check £82.25

PLUS VAT and labour

Ha ha get it out of there fast!!

It worries me that so many people actually believe that independant garages 'do the same job' as main dealers. No doubt that their customer service is more personal than a large dealership - and for simple jobs such as services they are probably ok. But for technical diagnosis, how on earth could a small independant garage have as much technical experience on a particular model as a main dealer who's techs work on nothing but Renault all day long, and are trained by Renault - not a Haynes manual? The main dealers also have access to tech info directly from the manufacturer - not Internet forums!

I've worked for a main dealer for over 20 years (I'm a Master Tech) and have lost count of the amount of jobs we have had from independents who have promised beyond their ability and have had to come to us with their tails between their legs - or the amount of phones calls we get asking for information. They would, no doubt, add our charges to their own.

Most main dealer techs are well trained and regularly tested indendently (I have 2 assessments a year from the IMI and manufacturer in order to maintain ATA Diagnostic Technician and ensure I'm up to date with current technology). How many independants have their technical ability independantly tested? Main dealers are not perfect - but with their training, experience and support from the manufacturer, they stand much more of a chance of solving your problem quickly and accurately!

Most vehicle problems come down to reading a stored code then changing the part it points to.A monkey could do that but it seems £90 an hour stealers seem to struggle but have no trouble in making your bill one that would have Nasa shaking.

Look at these two:

brake fluid £89.12

coolant £89.12

What a joke for both the materials would be no more than a tenner yet the bill is £200.