The Empire, Charles Street

Who was the short fat man who looked like the manager and was to be seen in

and around the Empire foyer? circa 50s.

I recall queing outside on Saturday night and then going into cages upstairs

prior to getting in to the gallery which was incredibly steep.

I saw Shirley Bassey, Vic Oliver, and Frankie Howard there.

John Spitzer was the manager and he lived at The Grand Hotel - nice man.

Hello Chairboy, Many thanks for that memory jog, I seem to remember he had a

good obituary in the paper. I can picture him easily and he came across as amiable.

Keep Smilin!

Hello Chairboy, Many thanks for that memory jog, I seem to remember he had a

good obituary in the paper. I can picture him easily and he came across as amiable.

Keep Smilin!

"The manager of the Sheffield Empire Theatre during the fifties was Johnny Spitzer an enormous man. He lived at the Grand Hotel where he had a special deal. He used to have numerous large meals sent over from the hotel during the day and would sit in his office in front of the television set on his desk that was switched on all the time and eat them. The staff wondered what would happen if ever Val Parnell the managing director walked in. He did one day and the assistant manager went into the office to find both Val and Johnny sitting in front of the television and both eating enormous meals." - Sheffield Memories.

http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/SheffieldTheatres.htm - scroll down for The Empire.

As I remember Johnny Spitzer he was always suroundered by beautiful girls. Used to catch glimpses of him in a box at the Empire and used to wonder why, as he was a big man with no obvious charms.

There was a lot of gossop about him by the girls I worked with, and it now seems he was such a nice man.

hazel

What you remember as 'cages' in The Empire, were actually wire meshes at the front of the Balcony (Gods). Put there to stop anyone falling over into the stalls area. The Lyceum has similair protection in its 'Gods' - in the form of handrails. The Sheffield Moss Empire was a terrific theatre - today its intended demolition would have caused protest groups etc. Too much of Sheffield history has gone under the bulldozer.

This thread has inspired me to have another look around Sheffield Library Picture archives.:)

Clicky....The Empire was IMO one of the most beaut looking buildings that has been flattened in Sheffield. :(

Interestingly in this picture, it looks like even after bomb damage, people must have done their best to save it.

Nigel Womersle, Thanks for interest shown in my message.What I reffered to as "cages"

was a series of hand rails which zig-zag the queue in a small room

near the top of the many flights of stairs. Usually, we were held there

for five to ten minutes before being allowed to proceed into the "Gods."

or Gallery. I would estimate that the small room with hand rails had a

maximum capacity of thirty people, which on Saturday night was only

the start of the queue. At the time, most people called the small room

"The Cages" no doubt because the people in it were held there, as in

a cage.

I only ever went to a couple of (superb) pantos at the Empire, but I remember once walking down Charles Street with my father, and he said "Look!". I looked - and a man eased his ample frame out of a car and walked past us into the Empire. It was the Jewish singer/comedian Issy Bonn (of "My Yiddishe Momma" fame). Unfortunately I didn't have my autograph book handy! I never met Johnny Spitzer but my parents knew him. I seemed to recall that he died young, and so I just looked him up on findmypast.com - he was 45 when he died in 1971.

The Empire Theatre had a very lucky escape during the blitz. Buildings either side of it were bombed,one,a large furniture shop,was completely burned out. Thankfully,the theatre survived the war,only to fall under the bulldozer some years later. Pity.

Nigel Womersle, Thanks for interest shown in my message.What I reffered to as "cages"

was a series of hand rails which zig-zag the queue in a small room

near the top of the many flights of stairs. Usually, we were held there

for five to ten minutes before being allowed to proceed into the "Gods."

or Gallery. I would estimate that the small room with hand rails had a

maximum capacity of thirty people, which on Saturday night was only

the start of the queue. At the time, most people called the small room

"The Cages" no doubt because the people in it were held there, as in

a cage.

Apologies Ronart.

The Empire Theatre had a very lucky escape during the blitz. Buildings either side of it were bombed,one,a large furniture shop,was completely burned out. Thankfully,the theatre survived the war,only to fall under the bulldozer some years later. Pity.

Henry Hall and his Orchestra were appearing at The Empire the Thursday night of the blitz. I think just one of its front towers was destroyed, and a room near 'the Gods' too. Word got round that Henry Hall had been killed in the raid. This caused him after that to always say 'This is Henry Hall speaking'. The Empire finally closed its doors in 1959. It was a lovely theatre.