The Empire, Charles Street

I thought of her name 10 minutes after posting,is'nt that typical!

I thought of her name 10 minutes after posting,is'nt that typical!

ahh BLITZER.//Thats so nice .good look luv xxxxxx

saw.. tommy steel at empire. i was in the gods..lol..he look so small .but like i say i was in the gods ..magic ..x

BLITZER. I've just remembered another line. 'As I was sitting 'round my old firebucket.' I think that was the introductory line in the radio feature by the same guy who wound up with 'What would you do chums?' Now if that's the case it can't be Sid Walker, unless he did the 'Rags, bottles, and bones' thing also. The 'firebucket' related to the fact that he was a nightwatchman.

It's got to be on radio, a firebucket on stage would be a fire hazard.

You've got me there Texas,can't remember the 'Firebucket' bloke. However,the mention of the nightwatchman's brazier brought back memories of standing by one in the Winter for a welcome warm whilst out and about. Something you never come across nowadays.

I have one of the original ticket envelopes with the seating plan of the Empire Theatre.

If anyone wants a copy I'll Email them a copy, just send me a PM with an Email address.

Happy Days PopT

I see where you are coming from here as they were losing their sparkle around this time (Stan would have been 60ish).

But just being in the same room as the greatest comedians ever should be enough of a memory you last anyone a lifetime. I wish I could have seen them, still watch DVDs of them regularly.

Yes mate of mine is sat next to me, he also saw laurel and hardy there (1953 ish) He says that he saw a pantomime Babes in the wood (with lorrie london ) a pop star of that era) He also went to see David whitfield, joseph locke and missed out on ken dodd because he was ill.

Yes mate of mine is sat next to me, he also saw laurel and hardy there (1953 ish) He says that he saw a pantomime Babes in the wood (with lorrie london ) a pop star of that era) He also went to see David whitfield, joseph locke and missed out on ken dodd because he was ill.

I remember seeing David Whitfield there, but my overriding memory of him was how his teeth reflected back the spotlight as he spoke or sang. Even up to the gods where I was sitting. It was like he had a mouth full of mirrors.

I have seen many artistes on stage over the years, but none whose teeth reflected back the spotlight like his did.

I am the mate that peppermint mentions above and I've had time to remember another time I went to the EMPIRE. It was the week that I left school ( Easter 1958 ) That week there was a strip show on and as a treat to ourselves myself and a few of the lads went to the Wednesday night show, It was a sort of girls in flimsy next to nothings, We enjoyed the show so much we made our minds up to go again on the Saturday, This time I took my binoculars with me as we were in the gods.

The trouble with that was one of the friends who wasn't sat with us borrowed the binoculars and I never got to see things close up.

Redfyre, re your post mentioning Chic Murray. I can't remember where I heard it, but it was a story about him when he was in some theatrical digs somewhere, could've been Sheffield.

Anyhow he went down to breakfast one morning and he was given a choice between a spoonful of porrige and toast and honey, the landlady being notorious for her frugality. He decided he would try the toast and honey. It was duly served, one slice of toast and a tiny pot of honey. He contemplated the honey for a second or two and said 'I see you keep a bee.'

Hi ChrisM

I too went to the last show at the Empire. It was a bit ironic really as the old theatre went out with a show sponsored by....I think it was Smedleys Frozen Foods......a sure sign of things to come. My girlfriend at the time worked in a grocers shop and had been given two free tickets.

A sad, sad loss of a great theatre.

Brian