The Empire, Charles Street

The picturesheffield.com website has a photo of the Empire theatre with the right-hand turret missing after the blitz - see photo No s01636

The picturesheffield.com website has a photo of the Empire theatre with the right-hand turret missing after the blitz - see photo No s01636

See post #31 ;)

See post #31 ;)

Ooops! :blush: I hadn't actually followed the link; I just looked into my own notes on photos from the library on-line archive, to respond to the previous post about bomb damage. The Sheffield Library doesn't allow their photos to be used on any other websites, though I suppose a link is OK - I just cautiously quoted the photo number. I was surprised to see in the photo that the name of the theatre was actually the "Empire Palace" but I never knew it be called anything but the "Empire". The original post mentioned several small theatres in the West Bar area that closed because they couldn't compete with the Empire. I seem to remember that one of these, in Gibraltar Street, burned down in the 1980s - the site is now occupied by a used car dealership. In a sense, this harked back to the Theatre Royal, which burned down in 1935.

I remember waiting outside the Empire for Tommy Steeles autograph.

Unfortunately I couldn't afford to go in and see him but I got the autograph.

Don't know what happened to it.

I remember seeing Chic Murray, the brilliant Scottish comedian, at the old Empire in the 1950s; also G.H. Elliott, who was billed as "the chocolate coloured coon" (he couldn't do that today!). Also saw Jimmy Young (long before he became a radio star), and Jimmy Sacca and the Hilltoppers. When Sacca ("Only You" was his big hit) was there, a Sheffield United winger called Colin Grainger went on stage and sang a couple of songs, one an imitation of Al Jolson. When Leslie Welch, a famous "Memory Man" of the 1950s, appeared at the Empire, from the circle I asked him a question which he didn't answer correctly, but he was so full of chat that he flipped over the fact and quickly passed on to something else without giving me chance to take him to task!

References to Johnny Spitzer, yes he was a lovely chap. I remember him at the Grand Hotel some years after the Empire had closed. I don't know that anyone could ever work out whether Johnny had any family, and I never saw what you might call a "proper" biog of him when he died. Does anyone know exactly when he took over as manager of the Empire, for I believe that at that time he was the youngest manager in the theatre's history. He was certainly one of the great characters of Sheffield in his era, but he never talked much about himself, and he deserves to be remembered.

No one has mentioned the queue entertainers playing the spoons,violins, bones singing and even being preached to. You could also buy a copy of Billy's weekly Liar as well as Old Moores Almanac.

Anybody remember a artiste by the name of Sid Walker? He did an act about a rag and bone man. He used a song with the line 'Day after day, I'm on my way, crying Rags, bottles or bones,..........' Did he ever play the Empire?

I remember this character from a radio programme that used to be on on Monday evenings (pre TV). He had his own spot where he would tell a little story,and dole out his own brand of philosophy,and leave, singing the little ditty shown by Texas. Late 40's I think,just after the war. Don't know if he ever appeared at the Empire,but would think he probably did.

BLITZER, When I think about it logically I must be thinking about the radio. I don't remember a horse and cart act on the Empire. But when he was winding up his act, did he always say something like 'What would you do, chums?' Or was that somebody else?

That's right Tex,after his little philosophical story,he would end up saying "What would you do chums"?and then go into his song"Day after day" etc. I am not certain,but I think the show was called "Monday night at eight"

"The manager of the Sheffield Empire Theatre during the fifties was Johnny Spitzer an enormous man. He lived at the Grand Hotel where he had a special deal. He used to have numerous large meals sent over from the hotel during the day and would sit in his office in front of the television set on his desk that was switched on all the time and eat them. The staff wondered what would happen if ever Val Parnell the managing director walked in. He did one day and the assistant manager went into the office to find both Val and Johnny sitting in front of the television and both eating enormous meals." - Sheffield Memories.

http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/SheffieldTheatres.htm - scroll down for The Empire.

In the link about the Empire,it states that some members of Henry Hall's orchestra were killed and injured. Well,that's news to me. I was in the audience that night of the blitz,and Henry Hall's orchestra were in the middle of their performance,playing a popular song of the time"Six lessons from Madam Lazonga",when we had to evacuate the theatre. I don't recall hearing of any casualties amongst any of the artists that night. Hall's vocalist,Betty ? (she played Betty Turpin in Coronation St for many years) would know) As you would imagine,that night remains a vivid memory,even after all those years.

In the link about the Empire,it states that some members of Henry Hall's orchestra were killed and injured. Well,that's news to me. I was in the audience that night of the blitz,and Henry Hall's orchestra were in the middle of their performance,playing a popular song of the time"Six lessons from Madam Lazonga",when we had to evacuate the theatre. I don't recall hearing of any casualties amongst any of the artists that night. Hall's vocalist,Betty ? (she played Betty Turpin in Coronation St for many years) would know) As you would imagine,that night remains a vivid memory,even after all those years.

'Betty Driver' I believe her name is and still going strong. I seem to remember her in a Radio programme, 'Monday night at 8'oclock' was the name of the show and the song that intoduced it.