Sign in to follow this  

Living in Rotherham

Hello to all

I found this forum by accident but have found it really informative. I've recently moved to rotherham because of work (am aged 23 and female), and unfortunately don't know anyone in the area - Anybody give him a hint as to where i can make friends and influence people!

cheers for any help

:wave:

Hi,

I will start working in Rotherham from october and have heard horrible stories about it. Is it really that bad? Is it difficult to find accomodation?

Sarah

Rotherham is not THAT bad, honestly! Fair enough, the town centre is a bit of a dive, and there are some other less desirable areas, but you can say that about any town or city. Just do your shopping in Sheffield and you'll be fine!

If you're thinking of buying a house in Roth, your money will go far - plenty of places to rent too. As for meeting ppl - I'm not a clubber or pubber, so couldn't really say. Is 'The Zone' still Rotherhams premier nightspot??

mainly underage kids and people from eastwood goto the zone hehe ya best bet is pubs like elliots and the blue coat etc and rotherham isn't a great place to live but i like it more than most places in sheffield

I used to live in Rotherham. You could enrol on an evening class at RCAT and can meet people there. Or simply go into your local pub on the corner of your street and start talking to the people in there! Try a community group - there are plenty of them in Rotherham.

Also, read the Rotherham Record, there are always adverts of events and happenings around the town. Just go along and see what happens.

The central libarary are always co-ordinating things too.

Did anybody hear about somebody drowning in the canal under Aldwarke Lane today? There was a lot of police activity and I passed the Underwater Search Unit van racing towards the bridge.

Yes, it was on the news. One of a group of about 8 teenage boys sadly drowned in Aldwarke (Asda) Lock.

There are several bunches of flowers on the bridge this morning.

I lived in Rotherham for about 6 months. I hated going into Rotherham town centre - people there are stupid.

They walk round like they are tourists and stop dead int he middle of the pavement to view something they have seen across the road.

At first I thoguht they were tourist but when it happend for the 200th time I realised it was just Rotherham.

Moon

haha as much as i love my home town you are right people in the town centre are a bit thick. I also guarantee you wont turn a corner without seeing a gang of teenage girls wearing kappa who look about 12 with a push chair smoking fags no matter what time you go.