When to move to a bed?

I know I shouldn't, but I did have a giggle at your twins antics. :)

No no, please do laugh, sometimes it's the only way to maintain sanity!

How's the bed situ at your house?

At the moment, I'm still putting the air mattress down. I managed to move a gate to the doorway, but I just don't see a way of making her room toddler friendly as it's currently full of our junk. We live in rented accommodation at the moment, and it's tiny, so her room has doubled up as the storage room. We haven't got anywhere to put the stuff until we move (which hopefully will happen in April/May all going well). I hope she doesn't try again until we move, but if I do catch her at it, then I think I will have to look at what we can do :(

Another trick we used was the strategic hanging of cot toys, that gave us a small amount if grace.

We put twingle 2's cot against the wall on two sides then added the highest part of twingle 1's cot so it was in an L shape. The remaining part of the cot which was not pressed against a wall or higher cot end is where we hung the Winnie The Pooh light show, the depth of which was too diffcult to scale. So, for you it might mean rearranging your stuff a little then tying spare pillows or similar round but increasin the height should work.

Or the sleeping bags for babies/toddlers mean they can't part their legs far enough to lift and climb.

No idea if they'll help but it's all I can add now. we ust had to give in once we'd tried all of our ideas.

You could also try a baby sleeping bag. We kept ours in his cot until 2 years old this way - he couldn't get the one leg high enough to swing over the bars without pulling the other one out from under himself and splatting safely down on his mattress.

Also take out all toys, bumpers, an blankets that could be piled up to make 'steps'.

We did the changeover at 2 years, and bought a fabulous bed car off ebay that has slightly raised sides and a top so it still feels enclosed - though at his grandparents they moved him to a mattress on the floor which was option 2 for us as well...nowhere to roll to, baby, lol.

And yes, it does have it's own special moments, this big bed thing - most memorable for us the night cosycub was screaming his head off in the middle of the night and we rushed in all bleary -eyed and couldn't see him. Panicked, we dove around the bed and found him stuck half under it...remember, it's in the shape of a car...he looked like he'd been involved in some bizarre Noddy ToyTown road traffic accident.

Thankfully he wasn't hurt - explain that in Children's A&E..."well, he was run over by his own bed.."

Lol, Cosywolf, I would have liked to seen their faces when you explained that one :)

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't think the sleeping bag is an option. I took her out of them 6 months ago, because she was constantly standing up/jumping about in them and falling back down - usually hitting her head on the bed. I decided it would probably better not to have them. Now she has a pillow and duvet and sleeps so soundly, I don't want to disturb her really. I think I might have to do Zebra's suggestion of constructing the sides higher.

he looked like he'd been involved in some bizarre Noddy ToyTown road traffic accident.

Thankfully he wasn't hurt - explain that in Children's A&E..."well, he was run over by his own bed.."

That just made me choke! :hihi: I have nothing to add as Sprout hasn't even been born yet never mind going into a big bed.. But Cosywolf that was so funny lol

Never a day goes by without cosycub giving me something to laugh about. :P

I've just put mine in a bed this week - he's two in two weeks time. Was expecting endless falling / getting out of bed and sleepless nights for me, but we've had nothing but a happy little man. He sleeps much better and longer than he did in the cot, hasn't fallen out at all (can't find a bed guard to fit but have a sleeping bag on the floor just in case!), and he likes it so much he won't even get out of it in the morning! Hooray! :)

When did you move your child to a bed (or take the cot sides off) and why did you do it?

I'm trying to work out what to do, and would like to hear your stories really. My DD is 17 months old and I caught her earlier today with her leg over the cot side, if I had been a bit later in coming into the room, she would have been out and fallen on the floor - it's a bit of a drop. I've put an airbed next to her bed tonight, to try and stop me worrying about her falling out. I'm considering taking the cot side's off and putting a bed rail on, but not sure. We've just this week started leaving her in her cot and she's going to sleep without us in the room :clap: and as it's a new routine I don't want to introduce something so soon. Also, I can just see her getting in and out of bed if there are no cot sides. :(

we moved our boy a few months before he was 2 into a big bed and new room, but only because i was preg and didnt want him to feel kicked out! the bed side didnt fit so we just used pillows, hes fallen a few times luckily its carpet and he bounced! hehe!

Well, tonight I'm wishing I had got a bed guard and taken off the sides, as my DD has climbed out of the bed and fallen on the floor with a big bang. Typically she's missed the duvet I had put on the floor and it's a good job she made a bang as I hadn't closed the baby gate, so it could have been a lot worse. My DH ran up the stairs to find her opening her bedroom door. Once again I've phoned NHS direct, but all seems fine, just a bump and a graze on her head. Been told to keep her quiet for the next 2/3 days, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do that as she's already trying to get on her trampoline to bounce :roll:

So tomorrow I'm off to buy a bed guard and the cot sides are coming off. I'm so not looking forward to it. I know I'm going to be in for a long night tomorrow.

Doodle I sympathise. Today I wish I had a dog cage rather than a bedroom.

I put the girls down for a nap as we were going to be out late this evening and I needed them to be normal toddlers instead of the demons which take their place after 8pm.

IN the short time I left them to try to sleep they climbed on the window ledges, used the curtains to get back down which ripped the curtain pole off the wall and then proceeded to trash a chest of drawers by emptying the lot and climbing on it, which has now somehow damaged it so the drawers wont sit it in now.

I lef the clothes en masse covering the floor, made a fix of the curtain pole until OH can brick the windows up entirely tomorrow (thereby solving the problem ;) ) and took the monsters out to see my Grandad in hospital.

Must post on pets about that dog cage!