Wind Turbines at Westwood High Green

Wind Power more "wind" than power?

1. Statements based on the maximum wind turbine output are very misleading. The output of a wind turbine works on the cube rule - at half maximum operating speed it generates one eighth of the power it would at full operating speed, at one quarter speed one thirty second. The wind only needs to slow by a modest amount before the power level is almost invisible.

2. Wind turbines feeding into the grid cause the main power stations to burn more fuel. Just like a car on a long run compared with stop start around town, varying outputs use more fuel. As power is not stored, a variable feed into the grid from a wind turbine causes base load power stations to run up and down and so use more fuel. If that fuel is coal or gas then more greenhouse gas is generated. You have to do all the sums to find out if wind power is as green as claimed overall.

3. Denmark has one of the highest greenhouse gas emissions per person in the whole of the EU. It also has one of the highest fractions of its power made by wind turbines. There may be a good explanation for this of course. :huh:

Why not put them around Dore village or on high spots around the south of the city? Why Highgreen? Westwood country park is nature in the raw, uncultivated and supposedly PROTECTED from development of any type. I spend a fair amount of time walking my dogs in this area and I resent any intrusions from hair-brained councillors who seek quick profits from schemes thinly disguised as 'ecologically and environmentally freindly'.

Leave this country park alone, such areas are rare and need to be protected.

Another loony scam from our Labour council. :loopy::rant:

Agree 100%.. the only bit of land available to the council on the north side of town, only 100mtrs to the Barnsley border. There are far better sites around Sheffield. Its just so out of the way the NIMBY's on the southside, Imagine the fuss if these were proposed 250m from houses in Dore or Totley.

ISTR that is was proposed on Totley Moor which belongs to the Council. I'm sure that somebody can find the thread.

More details off the star website, looks like the residents in Highgreen aren't happy

Debate on wind farm questioned

by Richard Marsden

RESIDENTS concerned about plans for a wind farm in High Green have challenged Sheffield Council over the amount of public consultation that will be carried out.

Cabinet members voted to give officers permission to identify a developer for the proposed project at Westwood Country Park - needed as part of the city's commitment to produce more renewable energy.

But during the meeting High Green resident Dixie Barraclough said: "Like a lot of residents of High Green, my house will directly overlook the proposed site.

"How much effort has gone into informing residents about the proposals so far? I only received information on Thursday and when I asked other residents of High Green, 90 per cent didn't know about the plans and were appalled."

Mrs Barraclough told councillors residents are concerned about issues such as vibration and the effect on television reception.

The scheme is the only wind farm under consideration at present.

Coun Mary Lea, cabinet member for sustainable environment, said: "It's a very sensitive issue and important that we consult widely with the local community, all local stakeholders and users of the park.

"I'll be keen to get as much environmental benefit as we can."

Consultation with the community is likely to be carried out by the developer and during the planning process, the meeting was told.

Coun David Baker, deputy leader of the opposition Liberal Democrats, said: "We support wind farms in principle and we fully supported the bid to evaluate and develop appropriate sites in Sheffield as it's important we all do our bit to mitigate climate change.

"In this instance it seems that consultation with the local community hasn't been given enough importance in the whole process.

"Rather than leave it to the developer to consult when one is chosen, which could be months down the line, the council must be pro-active and begin talk to local residents immediately.

"Our local councillors who represent the area have organised a special public meeting of the North Area Panel on the issue."

The meeting takes place at Lound Junior School, Loundside, Chapeltown, on Wednesday March 12, from 6.45pm.

n SHEFFIELD Council's budget plans for the coming financial year have moved on to the next stage after being approved by the authority's cabinet.

The proposals, which involve a council tax increase of just 2.8 per cent, must now be put to a final vote by the full council next month.

Green Party councillors have hit back at Lib Dems, whose leader Paul Scriven accused them of "lacking the decency" to consult with them before announcing they were backing Labour.

Coun Jillian Creasy, of the Greens, said: "If the Lib Dems were serious about getting their proposals approved, they should have come to us. Because we have negotiated with Labour, there are some Green proposals coming through."

These include New Year's Day buses, more money for pedestrian crossings and assistance for residents to help them save energy.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Debate-on-wind-farm-questioned.3776725.jp

They're going everywhere at the moment. Hallam Uni are putting one up at their Bawtry Road sports ground.

I hope the residents of Highgreen remember the actions of their 'caring' Labour council come election time and vote them nicely out of office.

Bloody councillors, sad people with no social life. They need to get out more or take up a hobby..........

I am a resident of the Dowlands estate that overlooks the proposed wind farm and i was extremelly angry yesterday when i was given the apparent facts about why the turbines shouldnt be built on the park. Why dont these people and there objections just admit that the reason they oppose them is nothing to do with feasibility and wanting better climate change solutions, it is simply because they do not want them in there back garden. I think personally they would be be a benefit to the area as wel as showing to our children how we can contribute to saving our resources. Some one needs to speek out and protest at the random statitics these groups are claiming as i am definatly not in the apparent 90% of objectors and neither have i ever been asked for an opinion.

I think you might be bothered when you realise that a wind turbine can be very noisy they emit intrasound that is a very low level sound that passes through walls etc.

You might be surprised to know that they emit in excess of 100Db and the sound can travels miles.

http://www.barrhill.org.uk/windfarm/noise/index.html

Wind turbines are NOT noisy. There is no such thing as "intrasound" and wind turbines do not emit sounds in excess of 100Db - that is more like a jackhammer or jet plane. You can stand under a wind trubine operating at top speed and hold a perfectly normal conversation. Go see - seriously, they are quiet, efficient and to my mind, beautiful machines.

You might not like them and you are perfectly entitled to your opinion. Spreading fear about the technology by lying about it is just ridiculous.

Wind energy is also a hell of a lot more economic than nuclear. If we put even 1% of the billions we plow into the nuclear industry into energy efficieny and all types of renerwables we would slash our carbon emissions in no time.

The british isles have 60% of Europe's wind capacity and I think putting up wind turbines to generate power from that amazing resource is a great idea. Sheffield is ideally placed to support a wind farm - we are an energy consuming city surrounded by windy hills. No brainer as far as I am concerned.

I live in Meersbrook and would have a field full of tubines next to my house in a heartbeat - so I am not just supporting this because it isn't in my backyard.

more scare mongering encountered today when i was told by a Save Westwood park campaigneer that by building the wind farm there my house price would decrease by 25% I am all for freedom of speech but this is getting quite ridiculous now.

is there a public meeting on this issue in High Green