Joan Barry Bridal Shop

Can anyone remember  the names of the staff or did anyone work there in the 70s/80s

On 05/02/2008 at 17:07, bushbaby 3 said:

can anyone remember joan barrys bridal shop on high street it was were W,H, Smiths stands today .in the sixties nearly all brides went there for their wedding gowns.it was a very elite shop and you were given exellent service by their staff

Did you mean Fargate ?

Can Anyone remember the staff in the 70s/80s can you remember the shop it was demolished to make way for Orchard Square

Edited by will.i.ams
Wrong spelling

I remember Joan Barry’s shop. I bought my wedding veil with attached Juliet Cap headdress from there in 1974. It cost £7. I used to love looking through their shop windows, particularly at the beautiful wedding dresses. If I remember correctly it had a separate square glass display unit in the centre of the doorway entrance and it was possible to walk all the way around it window shopping, even at night when the shop was closed. Am I right in thinking that it was called Anne Lennard either before or after Joan Barry.

My wife was a window dresser there in the late 70s

I bought my wedding dress there in 1967.  It cost a whole weeks wage - £14 - I've still got in in the loft!!

Great shop my wife also worked at Stuarts bridal wear near the entrance to the Castle Markets

I was a Saturday girl at Joan Barrie's when I was about 15 or 16, it would have been around 1970/71.  I remember it being very formal and most of the staff scared me to death! I worked on the ground floor most of the time but occasionally got called upstairs to help out with the bridal dept. Can't remember what I did there, can't have been much, only certain people were allowed to deal with the wedding gowns (and certainly not the customers. I probably had to vacuum the carpet before a fitting.  There was a seamstress worked in the basement and I found her particularly intimidating at first until I got used to her.  Another young girl worked there and her older sister did too. I palled up with them but I can't remember their names.  I think I earned about £1.50 for the day but somehow managed to buy a black leather skirt, a purple midi dress and a lovely yellow lacy top during my time there.  I used to go to a place called Davy's a couple of doors down for a cheese sarnie for my lunch. I think that was the highlight of my day (as well as getting my pay packet from the little office window).

The bridal shop wasn't situated in the building where W.H.Smith now is. That building was occupied by Arthur Davy's provisions at the time. I worked at the Davy's shop,my first job in 1969. I think the bridal shop was a few doors on. BTW the building was on Fargate, not High Street.