Anyone go to the Sacred Heart School?

i was there 68 to 74 and it was a lovely school. how times change.

lots of building work going on now. The prefab has gone, as has the mock tudor hall. no playground left for the poor little blighters.

Edited by hyper

sacred heart school is now on 2 levels and no prefabs its fantastic now that the building work as finished

sacred heart school is now on 2 levels and no prefabs its fantastic now that the building work as finished

Fancy that. I was looking for recent pictures and found a website and facebook page. See http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8157538181 I would love to see pictures of the new two storey building.

i was there 68 to 74 and it was a lovely school. how times change.

lots of building work going on now. The prefab has gone, as has the mock tudor hall. no playground left for the poor little blighters.

There is still a playground, albeit a little bit smaller. There is also a Multi Use Games Area being built where they old prefabs used to be.

I was there from 1936 until 1945, when I passed the 11+ and went to De La Salle College.

During the war there were two steel static water tanks in the playground near the infant entrance on Forbes Road. Sand bags were built up against the front of the school building and the windows were crossed with sticky tape. A flat roofed air-raid shelter was at the back of the playground where the prefab was later built. During practices we walked in line to the shelter, carrying our gas mask cases on our shoulders, and sat on wooden slat benches which were attached to the walls. Mr Slavin led us all in community singing while we waited. Then we returned to our classrooms. After the blitz nights we would bring in our collections of "shrapnel" to show our friends.

At that time it was an Elementary School, which meant that the pupils stayed on until they were 14 or 15. Having been a teacher myself, I realise what a difficult task Mr Slavin had and can only admire his work as a headmaster and teacher of the older pupils. The boys and girls had separate playgrounds, the girls' playground was up the side of the school building nearest to the church. The boys had the main playground and a tough game of football commanded most of the space.

Edited by Joseph Read
Typing error

You were there at the same time as me, but I don't remember your name. Were you a quiet kid? I remember two girls called Read or Reed. They had the unusual relationship that although they were the same age, one was the others aunt. Tell me the names of some of the kids in Miss Crossley's class. I'll see if I remember the same names.

I attended Sacred Heart from 1950 to 1956. I remember all the teachers that tigerman mentioned. Also Sister Joseph Claire. Does anyone remember Ilene Duncan and Gwen Toner.

Christine Sellars

Edited by Christine S
additionl info

I do not remember a Brian White, but the name sounds familiar.

The Miss Reed mentioned by Harleyman was my eldest sister, Miss Read, in fact. She played the organ in church and later became headmistress of another Sheffield school. The two girls mentioned by Brian were my sister, Teresa, and my niece, Margaret. Margaret was older than I was so Mr Slavin sometimes called me "Uncle Joe".

Do you remember an attractive, blue eyed, blond teacher - Miss Griffiths? I was always afraid of Miss Smith. She had a powerful personality and bustled about the building. Sister Clare-Stephen was a very sweet teacher.

Perhaps you, Brian, might remember Corkey Cochrane(?), Ray Murphy, the Guest family, the Monfredi boys, Bobby Maunsell, or the girl who played the piano (Jean Manton) while Mr Slavin conducted his whole school music lessons with his cane?

Edited by Joseph Read
Remembered an ex-pupil's name

I have been having difficulty in putting messages on the site. The last one I attempted concerned woodwork and swimming. If this one works I will repeat the posting.

OK, it worked! I can now post another message.

When we were about 10 years old we were sent to Morley Street school one afternoon a week for woodwork. The teacher was good and we learned to face and plane a piece of wood. Some of the older boys made interesting objects out of wood. I guess the girls had needlework, or cookery lessons at the same time.

Swimming was a weekly event about the same age. The assistant at Hillsborough Baths taught us to jump in, dive and do a crude style of swimming. It has been useful all my life. When the assistant was called out of the pool to attend to other business, some of the older boys would dive from the top boards, and even run up the stairs to the balcony, climb onto the railing and dive over the hard surface surrounding the pool. We younger ones would swarm up the steps to the hot slipper baths and cram ourselves into them. The assistant soon had us down in the pool when he returned.

Edited by Joseph Read
additional information added

My good friends at school were the Wood family. Things happened to the Woods.

When Ann Wood was at the front of the church congregation in her veil and white dress making her first communion, she brushed too near a candle holder and her veil burst into flames. She was not hurt.

There was a terrific crop of sweet chestnuts one year and Chris Wood was up a tree bouncing up and down to shake off the nuts when the branch broke. He fell flat and was badly winded. He was briefly taken to hospital for an examination of his condition. However, the following night all the Sheffield Star 'A' boards throughout the city held the notice, "Nutter falls from tree".

i didn't attend the school.but i have attended the church recently.the priest and people in the parish.are very friendly, they have a lot of social activities.