Last Wedding At St. Bartholmews Church Carbrook

We got married at St. Bartholmews, Carbrook, near Old Carbrook Hall Pub in June 1967 we were the last Wedding there. Anyone else get married there before 1967?

Marriages at St.Barthoomews began in 1891 to 1967 - Baptisms 1874 to 1966

My grandparentas were married there on 23 May 1904

My parents were married there on 22nd.May 1937

Uncle on 2nd.July 1922

Aunt 30th.April 1928

I could fill this page with the rest the family who were all baptised, married and funerals at St.Bartholomews. The records are all at the Sheffield Archives.

Both sides of my family were born and bred in Carbrook on Bright Street and Webster Street and most of the other Streets in this small area.

Family marriages before 1894 were held at Christ Church Attercliffe which were from 1849 to 1969.

Good luck with your searching

Dunreet

Many thanks for your reply to my thread.

We were the last couple to get married there.

Its was a really lovely church.

All my family got married there.

Would I be able to look at the records from that church?Many thanks for your help...........kind regards. a.oldfield

If you join Sheffield Archives you can view the Births - Marriages - Deaths on Microfilm. You should telephone first and you need identification. This becomes the most interesting hobby.

I was fortunate about 10 years ago to look at the actual registers from St. Bartholomews.

Marie

We got married at St. Bartholmews, Carbrook, near Old Carbrook Hall Pub in June 1967 we were the last Wedding there. Anyone else get married there before 1967?

i got married there in 1962

Marie , are the actual registers still available ? and if they are what sort of info would be on them ?. My grandparents were married there in 1925 and there are a couple of mysterys i would like to solve .

Hi.

The actual marriage registers are deposited at the archives. They are exactly the same as the marriage certificate the bride and groom are given, including the original signatures.

This is how most family historians research their family history by viewing the original marriage records.

You can also view the baptism registers, but the church was not licensed for burials so there are no burial registers.

Tuppie

I know there are no graves at St Bartholomews but I remember my granmothers funeral service being held there in 1963 before the internment at Tinsley Park. Most of my families funeral services were held in the chapel at the entrance to Tinsley Park. I was amazed when I was given the Registers at the Archives and when I handed them back they wanted to know who had given them to me!! - this was 16 years ago. I was able to back track on my fathers family of who I new very little as he died when I was a baby - and found important family links from marriages with names of people who had witnessed the events. I also found baptisms of children in the family who died young of whom nothing was known It was far easier with the registers than searching on the microfische. My time was always limited at the Archives as I live abroad.

Tuppie , you located my great grandfathers grave for me at St. Lawrences Tinsley, when I had given up hope of ever finding it - I never thought of looking there.

Thank you Marie.

last post was 2008 on this from dunreet peter ;o(

I used to live next door to the church Newton Terrace

and my grandad was caretaker in the 60's

would love to see some photos of the church people have taken at weddings

to see if they got our house in lol

Just shows you never know. I have not been on The Forum for such a long time but decided to log on again this week - I have replied to Peter.