Ever heard of Springheel Jack?

Footy Freak is right about the location of Westbury Street and also correct in her assertion that nothing exciting ever happened there. I know cos I lived there at the time.

If I said to Footie Freak that the prowler lived on Cottingham Street she would probably know who I mean. Can't name names, as he is alive and well to this day. He didn't jump buildings but he did bang on windows and had a fondness for knocking policemen's helmets off. How this turned into Spring Heeled Jack, God only knows.

The Spring Heeled Jack legend supposedly started as a prank by the then Marquis or Waterford, a sort of aristocratic Oliver Reed. From there a load of nonsense spang up, such as him jumping around Attercliffe in the seventies

I also know who the bloke who sat up looking for UFOs over Westbury Street was, and he was crackers as well.

Oh yes! I know exactly who you mean! :wink: And no he didn't jump buildings, but I once remember him nearly jumping out of his skin when a certain person who we both know, (intitials BB) jumped out on him from an entry on Jessell street while he was on his way to the shop. Don't think I've ever seen him move so fast. At the time we thought it hilarious, but kids can be so cruel.

I have a book called The Ghost Hunters Guide To Sheffield by (Victoria) Salim, not certain on first name. Got it from one of the cheap bookshops in Meadowhall, a few years ago though.

her name is valerie salim. i have the book as well. i think she brought out a second book but not too sure

not heard the two stories from herdings park before. i always thought the flats where called the 3 sisters because there are 3 of them, at least this is what my wife tells me and she has lived around there all her life. i talk to someone who lives in the flats. i will ask her tomorrow.

bunting nook is always spooky. i last walked down there at 12 noon on a foggy sunday morning. the eerie silence and twittering of birds gives you the creeps!

her name is valerie salim. i have the book as well. i think she brought out a second book but not too sure

not heard the two stories from herdings park before. i always thought the flats where called the 3 sisters because there are 3 of them, at least this is what my wife tells me and she has lived around there all her life. i talk to someone who lives in the flats. i will ask her tomorrow.

bunting nook is always spooky. i last walked down there at 12 noon on a foggy sunday morning. the eerie silence and twittering of birds gives you the creeps!

Somewhere I have a paperback book called Spring Heeled Jack.He was very active a long time ago and even terrified armed soldiers who shot at him.Also Velocette motorcycles made a motorcycle before the war that had rear suspension and it was nicknamed Spring Heeled Jack by Harold Willis (I think) who was their brilliant designer as it hopped about when raced.I bet your glad I told you that !!!!

He was featured in a chidrens magazine but can't recall which, perhaps the Champion or Wizard or one in the1930ts publications of such. Cheers Arthur.

I've got two.

1) The Drummer Boy who supposedly haunts the Herdings Park field.

2) The 3 Sisters. There were 3 tower blocks at Herdings (now only 2) and it's said that three sisters (triplets) lived in the flats (1 in each at the top). On the same evening, they were murdered and there bodies placed in a bag and dragged down the stairs (from the 12th floor to the bottom). They supposedly haunt the remaining two blocks, and that one night each year blood stains appear on the stairs of each block.

i asked the wife about this last night and her response was:

(1) The Drummer Boy according to rumour haunts the flats. apparently, it is the ghost of a young man who got his head stuck in one of the lifts and died due to his injuries. He is supposedly sometimes heard in the flats mainly, drumming on his head. He could haunt the park too, possibly as he was something to do with the army with the aerodrome being across the road.

(2) The 3 sisters flats got thier name because there were 3 of them. she hasnt heard of any ghost story.

if you go to the cholera monument park on norfolk road,sheffield, theres a display type/informaton board and this mentions "spring heeled jack"