Ever heard of Springheel Jack?

Originally posted by Jon

Anyone heard of the myth or legend of Spring Heeled Jack? Spring Heeled Jack, apparently a ghost like entity with the ability to jump tremendous distances in height and length. Some said he wore a black cloak, some said he had horns like the devil...

anyone got any other myths legends of Sheffield & Yorkshire?

I believe the legend of Spring Heeled Jack originated in London in about the 1830s. Then in the 1880s he began to be spotted in the Park area of Sheffield. He was otherwise known as The Park Ghost.

However, he was rather more earthly than all that. Apparently, people would pretend to be 'Jack' in order to win a bet of £50 (quite a sum in those days).

All this is from a book in the Local Studies Library in Sheffield.

there is supposedly a ghost in fulwood, at the bottom of hallam school field there is a gennel supposed ly haunted by a gypsy girl.

Read a library book recently on local history around Ranmoor. There are old stories in there of Lodge Moor Rd being haunted, down near the bend in the road, and no one would travel down it at midnight. Even horses were terrified of going down the lane.

Col

My fiance told me about a house he went to one night on collegiate cresent with some friends. They had all been drinking but not him as he was driving. A woman in her fifties owns it. All sat down chatting and this woman tried to get it on with one of his friends but failed. She slammed her drink down hard on the table and a second later all three spot lights in kitchen exploded then all lights in house went brighter and dimmer three times. My fiance got out of there ASAP

There is a book called strange south yorkshire, myth and magic in the valley of the don by david clarke,

it goes on about all the mysterious goings on in s yorks including spring heeled jack, barghasts and boggards, the ghost tunnel, ghosts down the pits, etc..... a very interesting book published by sigma leisure.

Originally posted by Tom in Bradway

There's a church in Greenhill, next to the old School house, down the alley behind there's 2 memorial stones built into the wall. Don't know how true this is, as it was a bit of a myth that used to go round our school. Apparently some psycho pushed 2 nuns from the roof years and years ago and if you go down there at dusk and stand in a certain place you can hear the screaming!!

Because of the way the alley is surrounded by walls and these head stones are set into an alcove, if it's a bit breezy it creates some very spine chilling noises!

Even if you don't hear the screaming it's still a really spooky story.

If anyones knows anything else about this I would be very interested to hear it!

Dead Man's Alley?

Crikey, that post is from yonks ago.

Yeah, dead mans alley it's known as!!

Tee Hee! Used to walk down there with my friend when we were little. We were terrified! The slightest little noise and we'd be running all the way back home, screaming our heads off! Lol.

Wasn't just me then :)

Hell No! ;)

off topic slightly, but come to think of it I got caught smoking down there by my teacher when I was 13.

Any idea if its true about the 2 nuns? or is a load of knackers made up by unruley school kids like myself!?!?

Any idea if its true about the 2 nuns? or is a load of knackers made up by unruley school kids like myself!?!?

I don't have a clue actually. I'm guessing it was made up as these things generally are. :)