St Luke's bid for Graves Park / Norton Nurseries

Do you support St Luke's bid?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support St Luke's bid?

• Yes
    • No

It seems to me that there are number of bits of land around Sheffield that are neglected and often overgrown. In some cases these are rough bits of land that are full of litter and generally unpleasant to use for anything exept a cut through to an estate. If these odd bits of land were properly managed by the council then they would make useful green spaces, but the council ignore them, and I wonder how deliberate that is? If a green space is full of litter then it doesn't get used. If it is "underused green space" then the council can sell it off as they have stated in their "sell off 10% of underused green spaces" policy. Graves Park was lucky because a great number of people can prove that the land isn't underused and isn't just an old dump as the liars suggest. When we win this battle over the park I hope evryone will help stop development on any parkland, or indeed any other open land that the council run down for a few years before selling for yet more "executive apartments".

Once you know what you are claiming is incorrect, your claims become a downright lie!

Yes, but I believe they always knew it was a lie, now its provable that they know they're lying.

I had a candidate for one of the main parties round last night asking for my support on Thursday. He had a sitting councillor with him and one or two party supporters.

I said before I could say how I would vote I wanted to know his position on the SLH to Graves Park question. His minder, the other councillor, immediately jumped in and said he wasn't allowed to answer that question. When I pressed the point he stomped off saying he had to get on and couldn't stand around arguing this point.

I said that for me at this election this matter is an important point and how was I to decide who to vote for if they weren't prepered to tell me how he would vote if he gets on the council.

The candidate and I were alone by this time and he said they had been strongly instructed under no circumstances to publicly comment on this issue, but now we were alone he would give me his private opinion, which was broadly along the lines expressed on this thread.

But he didn't say unequivocally how he would vote in council.

Who is telling our councillors and candidates what to say? And who is going to tell them how to vote when the time comes?

What's the point of voting for any of them?

As he was good enough to give me his private opinion I'm not naming him here, but his former party leader had a drink problem.

I had a candidate for one of the main parties round last night asking for my support on Thursday. He had a sitting councillor with him and one or two party supporters.

I said before I could say how I would vote I wanted to know his position on the SLH to Graves Park question. His minder, the other councillor, immediately jumped in and said he wasn't allowed to answer that question. When I pressed the point he stomped off saying he had to get on and couldn't stand around arguing this point.

I said that for me at this election this matter is an important point and how was I to decide who to vote for if they weren't prepered to tell me how he would vote if he gets on the council.

The candidate and I were alone by this time and he said they had been strongly instructed under no circumstances to publicly comment on this issue, but now we were alone he would give me his private opinion, which was broadly along the lines expressed on this thread.

But he didn't say unequivocally how he would vote in council.

Who is telling our councillors and candidates what to say? And who is going to tell them how to vote when the time comes?

What's the point of voting for any of them?

As he was good enough to give me his private opinion I'm not naming him here, but his former party leader had a drink problem.

It is all quite ludicrous that councillors claim they cannot have an opinion. I would presume if that were the case they could not have any policies whatsoever in case they were one day asked to vote on them.

3 parties have a stated line on the issue.

Labour want to dispose of Norton Nursery to the hospice and have a policy to sell other parkland.

Lib/Dems are quite clearly against the disposal and raised the matter in council last year.

The Greens also NOW oppose this sale but have no stated policy regarding otherparkland as far as I am aware. They also failed to back the Lib/Dems in 2007 when the whole thing could have been thrown out.

No one is sure where other parties stand. The Conservative and Independant both failed to support the Lib/dems when they tried to have the idea chucked out.

Havent the lib dems always been against SLH stealing the land? Whilst I have in the past tended to vote labour this time i will vote lib dem.

Havent the lib dems always been against SLH stealing the land? Whilst I have in the past tended to vote labour this time i will vote lib dem.

Paul scriven met the Charity Commission to discuss this matter and made it very clear to all who were there that he treated his duty as a trustee of the Graves Park Charity very seriously and would defend the interests of the charity against trustees who might want to play fast and loose.

Paul scriven met the Charity Commission to discuss this matter and made it very clear to all who were there that he treated his duty as a trustee of the Graves Park Charity very seriously and would defend the interests of the charity against trustees who might want to play fast and loose.

This is in complete contrast to the Labour position which seems to be to explore every avenue to circumvent covenants on the land they are trusted to protect.

This is in complete contrast to the Labour position which seems to be to explore every avenue to circumvent covenants on the land they are trusted to protect.

Using the Council's legal department and council tax payers money to do it.

He needs to tell the candidate and councillor mentioned in post #3411 the same!

... If it is "underused green space" then the council can sell it off as they have stated in their "sell off 10% of underused green spaces" policy. ...

This may have been asked already but is the policy available to view online and does it say who formulated it, dates etc?

This may have been asked already but is the policy available to view online and does it say who formulated it, dates etc?

I will try to get someone to host a file